View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3047Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 03:26 
Hehe, I'm definitely a perfectionist lol

I'm glad you want to help, :D

I think you're right about the bushes, I'll get on it right away. Right after I finish some texture tweaks :)

Glad you like the TOD, any suggestions though? I think the TOD is what's holding it's realism back.

Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.05.2008, 15:54Posts: 108 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 05:40 
Cheers from Brazil. Great design and assets.

Dunno if it is only me, but i think that the original grass is a little bit flat, what if you recreate it a little thicker (maybe only 1 pixel thicker), maybe it will look better. I would add a little more grass too, so when the player walks the grass changes as he wallks and with wind, a more greenish grass with realistic interaction with the sun, so it would cast shadow over the floor. Imagine grass with some bump mapping textures or even POM moving as you walk over them.

Just maybe :rolleyes:
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.08.2008, 21:37Posts: 172 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 13:44 
In your latest shots i don't really like the tree texture, it looks too bland imo.

maybe get some high-ress bark textures? just an idea.

and add some random height to all those little plants, that should look more realistic :)

one last suggestion: the color those rocks don't reall fit, seems TOO gray, maybe make them some more brown-ish color

good work so far!
really looking forward :D

Last edited by Cyber-Athlete on 26.01.2009, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3047Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 14:20 
Quote:
Originally posted by MWF
Quote:
Originally posted by Xzero
http://teamyo.org/xzero/files/SittingInForest.wmv
If you can find my revealing mistake you get a cookie.

In this video, you turned off your monitor right before you stopped recording. Now give me my cookie!:D
Anyway, I like the addition of mushrooms on the trees. And for height variation, can't you just adjust that in the Sandbox Editor in the plant settings?

No cookie for you!

... Okay you can have one, but only because yes, you can adjust sizes in the editor.

Camera video:

[YOUTUBE]68_mDFwPV34&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

Capture Frames Video:

[YOUTUBE]Lt2U0NZHPoQ&fmt=18[/YOUTUBE]

HD Gameplay Video:

[YOUTUBE]tg--BjaqVeU&fmt=22[/YOUTUBE]

So, youtube totally destroys my capture frames video. Go figure. Seems the HD didn't work so well, at least not on my PC.

If you can't get it to work in HD either, then here's the uploaded AVI file (H.624 Codec.):

http://teamyo.org/xzero/files/CaptureHD.avi

Sorry, no sound on capture ones. You'll have to forgive me for the HD video's jumpy turns. The game on my end was running around 5 FPS because of capture frames, and my mouse sensitivity wasn't lowered. I'll try to make it as smooth as possible next time.

HD video taken with no sprites, so extra detail is present. Hey, if the video's going to be at 30fps anyway, why not? Wasn't a huge difference anyway.

There are still some vegetation placement issues - I know lol. I still haven't changed the tree models either. Mostly positioning and the addition of bushes.

Screenshot blazing.

Yeah, lots of shots, hope you enjoy them. You can request any of those for desktop, or even parts of the videos. The DOF doesn't seem to be active, which is stupid, but I hope I'm just wrong.

And finally, the highlight of the thread:

*whistles* That's hot. ;)

PS: The framerate has significantly dropped, unfortunately. However, that may be because I have absolutely no LODs whatsoever to speak of. When I get the LODs in, it'll probably be much smoother. And even then, with my usual setup (all very high, shadows and objects on medium) it runs between 28 - 38 FPS. Not bad, something around the regular Crysis maps, perhaps just a tad lower, until I add lods anyway.

I also improved the tree normal maps so that they look higher res. And, if I add more height variation to the ground plants, well... well I can't since they're already pretty varied. Bear in mind I'm still going to add more types of plants, so that may be the solution. Also, already got my head into the rock color. It won't be long before it matches :)

On the note about Pawels models. They're nice dude, but they don't fit what I'm trying to do: A certain type of forest made up of my own models and such. ;)

Last edited by Cry-Styves on 26.01.2009, 21:51, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.08.2008, 16:42Posts: 790Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 14:43 
Stunning work once again, hd works for me.

But some models have a problem of scale i think, some of the leafs are much bigger than nomad's hands.

Have a look at it in 3rd person view. I once had too big bushes, the looked ok but also a bit strange and in 3rd person I saw that the leaves were as big as the players head!

Also the green of the tree leaves could be more saturated.

Last edited by theanzelm on 26.01.2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.02.2008, 17:24Posts: 2604Location: sweden Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 15:17 
INSANE that looks great :D

RIP Pepsi 1999-2010. Computer 8 gb ram 460 gtx 1 gb amd phenom II x4
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5064 Likes: 210

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 15:38 
Youtube HD video works correctly. Great. :easter:

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.07.2008, 15:30Posts: 86Location: Holland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 15:50 
Great screens again!
Is it possible to make 1920x1200 screens? If not, no prob.
What kind of trees do you use in your map? I can't tell from the bark which kind. I'm from Holland, maybe they don't grow here.
The HD videolink doesn't work for me. The message I get is: can't find the server. Too bad.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.07.2008, 15:30Posts: 86Location: Holland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 17:14 
Quote:
Originally posted by funkybee
The HD videolink doesn't work for me. The message I get is: can't find the server. Too bad.

Fixed!

Looks great! Maybe a bit too much HDR in the waterfall.
Isn't it possible to key the camera to get smooth camera movement? Years ago I sniffed a bit at Newtek LightWave and there I could make a path in time. The camera followed that path from key to key and per key I could make adjustments to the camera. I don't know if Sandbox2 offers that option.
The benefit is that you don't have to guide the camera with your mouse while the computer is very busy rendering and capturing.

When I see this I can't wait to get my new system.
What system do you have?
  24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 05.01.2008, 12:42Posts: 4911Location: Norway Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 17:24 
8o
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.07.2006, 03:26Posts: 605Location: Florida Likes: 10

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.01.2009, 20:41 
Third video down looks like it's running very smooth! What was the difference there?

Speaking of smooth, I wonder how much better this mod would run in Warhead(?)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 09.06.2008, 02:18Posts: 2713Location: New England, U.S.A. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 27.01.2009, 06:02 
Quote:
Originally posted by Xzero
No cookie for you!

... Okay you can have one, but only because yes, you can adjust sizes in the editor.

Yay!:D But what was your revealing mistake, in that case??(
Anyway, that looks so great in the HD video!:)) Do you think you could release this level without LODs for people with great computers?

I'm not online much. I only post if something catches my eye.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 27.01.2009, 06:30 
I could I suppose.

The lods aren't very noticable (unless you're checking your framerate :P)

I can't believe no body found the mistake...

On the left you see my monitor a few times. lol

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.01.2008, 02:08Posts: 1494Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.01.2009, 02:46 
hehe how long we must wait ;) :]

where you get the textures ?

Last edited by chicken2 on 28.01.2009, 02:48, edited 2 times in total.
  Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 14.11.2007, 03:25Posts: 906Location: Sweden Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.01.2009, 17:30 
Hey man, great work here. Looks amazing. Here's 2 pictures from the real master, though he's gone again :(

Maybe as an inspiration or for some help at any grate: