View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 06.10.2008, 23:11Posts: 1586Location: Virginia, USA Likes: 0

Post Topic: Warhammer 40K Bolter Model (WIP)
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 06:57 
My brother asked me to make a model of something from the Warhammer 40K table-top game in XSI so I made this. It is supposed to be a Bolter. At least that is what my bro tells me. I do not play the table game, so I have no clue what any of it is, he just handed me a model and told me to have-at. It is not done yet as it still needs alot of detail. Plus, it still looks boxy. Here are some images.

This one is an image of the clip.

Please tell me what you think. Comments and crits, the works. And if there any Warhammer players, please tell me if the proportions are correct. It still needs alot of work. I am hoping to get the modeling done soon. Please tell me what you think. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hmmm:
/Closed
Because some things never deserved to be open....

Last edited by Gorea27 on 13.02.2009, 17:11, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 18.10.2008, 18:54Posts: 1870 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 09:23 
Nice work Gorea. Just a couple of tips are that the end part of the iron sights is way bigger but I think your model looks better with it small and also the bullets for the bolter are really big. I used to play warhammer but do not anymore so if there is a updated bolter that a 40k player has then that would be a bit more helpful.

User avatar   Just getting started Just getting startedMember since: 07.02.2009, 05:43Posts: 15Location: U.S. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 10:13 
I never played tabletop, but I do like to read a lot of the books and play the RTS games. The bolter is a high-caliber weapon that fires what amount to miniature rockets. Your proportions look pretty good. The color scheme (don't know if you're doing a skin or not) determines which military unit the weapon belongs to.

I always thought Crysis should do a 40K mod about the Imperial Guard. I would have gotten one rolling but I'm knee deep in something else right now. The standard guard LasGun can be modified in many ways to suit their needs. Perfect for Crysis and its weapon attachment system.

Try to understand why something is in a game, before you begin to question it.

According to Gamespot, I own 144 PC games. Its probably a little higher.
User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 06.10.2008, 23:11Posts: 1586Location: Virginia, USA Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 17:10 
Thanks for the comments guys.

@zippy24: Yeah, I know that the sights are different. I did not like the standard sights because it it impossible to aim with them, so I made my own. Plus, if this is ever in Crysis, I want to make it possible to aim it. And about the bullets, just read thedarkwolf333's comment.

@thedarkwolf333: I was actually going to ask my brother if he will let me model one of his Lasguns next. I used them in the Warhammer 40K Squad Command PSP game and it looked really awesome. I this turns out good, then maybe I will model a couple more and get a weapon pack going.

P.S. I do not think that I will work on this today because I am feeling quite sick.

Quote:
/Closed

Last edited by Gorea27 on 13.02.2009, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 18.10.2008, 18:54Posts: 1870 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 19:11 
Yeah I think it was a good idea to model the sights better, and if you do model a lasgun that would be really cool. Nice work.
BTW you can not make a weapon pack due to copy write, it states on the warhammer web site that warhammer related stuff can only be used in total conversions.

Last edited by Zippy24 on 13.02.2009, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Just getting started Just getting startedMember since: 07.02.2009, 05:43Posts: 15Location: U.S. Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 21:02 
Quote:
Originally posted by Zippy24
Yeah I think it was a good idea to model the sights better, and if you do model a lasgun that would be really cool. Nice work.
BTW you can not make a weapon pack due to copy write, it states on the warhammer web site that warhammer related stuff can only be used in total conversions.

Yeah, cause they have problems with making money :P. Lasguns are cool cause they have different barrel lengths, silencers, various stocks, scopes, and even multiple ammo types. Snipers sometimes use what are known as "hot shot" energy packs. They're only good for one shot, but are a guaranteed kill.

Try to understand why something is in a game, before you begin to question it.

According to Gamespot, I own 144 PC games. Its probably a little higher.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 13.02.2009, 21:08 
Quote:
Originally posted by Zippy24.

Really? Ok, then no weapon pack. Thank you for telling me.

I added the trigger and what I think is the mag release. I am not really sure what alot of the things on the gun do. And about the Lasgun, I can only make it if my brother has one that is not already attached to a model. I think he does, but if not, then I will ask for a flamer. I will try to have an update sometime tommorow. Thank you.

Quote:
/Closed

Post Topic: Bump for Update
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 00:09 
Here are some newer pics. Not much progress today because I am sick ;(

An updated wireframe:

Rear view:

An isometric view with out wireframe:

Tell me what you guys think. Comments and crits welcome, as always.Thank you.

Quote:
/Closed
User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 01.02.2008, 22:49Posts: 2272Location: Denmark Likes: 0

Post Topic: RE: Bump for Update
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 00:17 
You can spare polyes :xmas:

"Suffer The Pain Of Disciplin Or Suffer The Pain Of Regret"

Post Topic: RE: Bump for Update
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 00:42 
Quote:
Originally posted by liveboy
You can spare polyes :xmas:

Yup, already taken care of ;). Except for the bottom of the clip. There is actually something there.

I just used Crosswalk to export it to 3ds Max, just to see what it would look like, and it was weird. It was similar, but some things were scaled differently. Does anybody know how to prevent this in the future? Thank you.

Quote:
/Closed
  Just getting started Just getting startedMember since: 04.01.2008, 14:10Posts: 36 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 00:51 
To be honest, it doesn't really look like a bolter.

Bolter:

It is also much larger.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 01:31 
Quote:
Originally posted by PaperJack

Bolter:

It is also much larger.

removed pics

Thank you for the awesome reference pics. I did make changes to the bolter, just for realism and because I found some things just impractical (I am looking at you iron sights :rolleyes:). I want to get this in-game so I just changed what I thought needed to be changed. And plus, it is still WIP. I have already made changes from the pics in my prior post.

P.S. My bro says he does not have any Lasguns. I will ask for another weapon.

Thank you
Gorea27

Quote:
/Closed

Last edited by Gorea27 on 14.02.2009, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Developer Uber DeveloperMember since: 15.02.2008, 17:24Posts: 2604Location: sweden Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 01:32 
Quote:
Originally posted by PaperJack

Bolter:

It is also much larger.

now that is scary i was just looking at that picture :O

RIP Pepsi 1999-2010. Computer 8 gb ram 460 gtx 1 gb amd phenom II x4

Post Topic:
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 01:39 
Hey gorea if you want to do a lasgun that is realistic here is a pic I found
It is not cadian pattern, so most 40k fans will just think WTF when they see it but I think it is wicked and would have plenty of places for attachments. I also think this pic looks a lot like a G36.

And I found a pic of a cadian pattern lasgun model.

Also a autogun would be cool.

Sorry for all the pics but they are good reference pictures.

Last edited by Zippy24 on 14.02.2009, 01:46, edited 3 times in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 14.02.2009, 01:48 
Cool, thank you Zippy24. Although that does look like a G36c that somebody drew on in MS Paint it will serve as a great reference pic.

After looking at the pics provided by PaperJack, I have come to the realization that my Bolter is too thin. At this point, I do not know what to do about it. I tried scaling it, but that messed up the proportions. I think I will keep it thin like it is. I will try to find a way to fix this, but, we will see.

EDIT: If I scale all the parts individually, then there is no problem, I will post pics of the wider Bolter soon.

Thank you
Gorea27

Quote:
/Closed

Last edited by Gorea27 on 14.02.2009, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.