View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 05.09.2008, 13:22Posts: 1305Location: Ukraine, Kiev Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 11:44 
Everything looks totally reqalistic.. At least with that resolution.

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 179

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 11:57 
Quote:
Originally posted by michi:be

I dont know why but this one of the best light settings ive seen in CE2. the water looks totally realistic.

It's the composition; There's bright, cold light in the background, a darker area in the middle, and a more pronounced, warm light in the foreground. All that adds depth and atmosphere to a scene (finally some use of my art history studies). ;) The water looks really nice because it reflects the bright background in the dark middle area.

The above is really an appreciation of your talent, sebastian___! :D You clearly have an eye for cinematography and compositing a shot. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished movie!
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.03.2006, 18:37Posts: 330 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 13:13 
Quote:
http://download.vam-online.com/test/03/ScreenShot0097.jpg

I dont know why but this one of the best light settings ive seen in CE2. the water looks totally realistic.

One of the best, yes. Extremely impressive shot.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 14:04 
Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian___
I also use a custom Depth of field and custom motion blur. What that means is I modified the Depth Of Field and Motion Blur file in Crysis - for a better quality.

And I also use a Vignette - That dark round that surrounds the pictures. At first I did that in post processing - after the capture was done. But then I realised I can do that very well inside Sandbox in real time.

Also each camera has a different FOV to simulate how a real shooting is done - using multiple lenses depending of each shot.

Ahh ok I really like the approach your taking, it seems standard cinematic techniques translate very well to the engine. What I was referring to more was your proposed compositing work and camera matching to include pre-rendered 3D elements into your movie. Do you have an idea of how much will be composited in ? Which techniques, if you care to share them, will you be using for this ? Anyway amazing work on this, it is some of the most beautiful use of the engine I have seen to date.

Associate Producer - New World Interactive
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.10.2007, 14:12Posts: 1661Location: Iceland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 14:22 
Quote:

+1 i thought that was real for a second

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 22.07.2008, 17:31Posts: 1331Location: Frankfurt Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 15:34 
Very nice work indeed. I look forward to seeing the next video update too :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 14.02.2009, 18:52Posts: 274Location: mauritius Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.03.2009, 18:28 
SON OF A HOLY B*TCH!!!!! this is really,really,really cool!!the poster and the screenshots(apart helena)are pure photorealism man!this is damnly realistic.the story sounds good.

You could have made a story like as if they discover an(jst like in crysis the chapter awakening and core) alien spaceship entrance in a cave and they find that ancient civilizations worshipped them(jst like in alien v/s predator)and that by mistake they activate something which make the aliens rise up again.jst enhance the story.there is no copyright on this idea.infact,i would be glad if you used my story to make the film.maybe it could get an award.

Nobody is perfect
I am nobody

[SIZE=16]
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 3

Post Topic:
PostPosted 11.03.2009, 06:54 
Wow. Thanks everyone. I'm a little surprised - everyone saying how real the pictures look - or that you could mistake them for a photo. Because that was never my intention. I know everyone on Crymod struggle for as much realism as possible. But that's not my goal.

Instead I'm trying to make this movie to have a "film like" look - as much as possible.
Also as Fortran said I try to be careful about the composition and such. You can actually get a movie-like picture even without the realism. Think about the Pixar movies - or Dreamworks movies. Even though they are 3d-cartoons you feel like they have a cinema feeling.

But of course photo-realism can't hurt also.

Fortran : Yes. It's amazing that inside Sandbox you can forget that you are using a 3d editor and you can pretend you are actually on a real set - getting ready the cameras and preparing the angles. Working out the DOF effects is not as easy as it could be - but it can certainly be worse than that.
- I can't really say right now how much external stuff I will add - if any. At first I made some plans and it seems those plans are constantly changing as I learn more and more about the inner workings of the engine/editor. But if you wanna composite stuff - between Sandbox and other 3d packages - or even real films and Sandbox elements - now this is easier with the camera transfer between 3ds max (or others) and Sandbox - as I wrote in some threads here on Crymod. You can even export alpha channel movies from Sandbox - and even Z-Depth channel. Great !

I wish there were even more power - for example exporting a velocity channel movie for external motion blur and others - but I'll have to live without this :).

the_grim : well you said it better than I could do :)

nomad4ever : haha. Thanks but the screenplay is written over a year ago. Sometimes I change maybe a word here and there but there will be not much modifying now.

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.12.2007, 20:29Posts: 521Location: Germany Likes: 3

Post Topic:
PostPosted 31.03.2009, 14:18 
A small update. The same teaser is now in HD 720p on youtube. The quality is very nice now. Don't forget to press the HD button.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys8reX86pWM

Also I decided to use the Crysis characters as much as possible, even tough my characters from the screenplay are younger. But I applied some retouching here and there.

Make-up ;) . Also I made the eyelash longer :tongue: I painted the whole face but most visible is some darkening on face and the lips are changed.

GIF animation - before - after

Last edited by sebastian___ on 07.04.2009, 11:25, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 05.09.2008, 13:22Posts: 1305Location: Ukraine, Kiev Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 01.04.2009, 13:53 
Looks nice, and suits for movie a lot better, but you really need to change alpha chanel on hair's ends. Even original ones looks unrealistic. Others are nice, better than original;).

Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2009, 13:55Posts: 653Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 06.04.2009, 10:23 
The Depth of Field could be used to create a unique looking piece of video and depending on the story / outcome it could be absolutely amazing. If you go in a direction different from lost but with a few twists and turns it will be amazing. Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.04.2009, 11:28 
I made a screenshot with 20.000 pixel resolution. And it's not made with e_screenshot because that gives you certain errors on shadows and AO. It's made with capture_frames Also when you made screenshots with high resolution the glow changes. It becomes very small in size (not in intensity) so I edited the hardware shaders for a glow matching the low-resolution one.

WARNING - 26 MB - 10.000 pixel -better right click and "Save as"

Or better download this "lower" resolution version 4.000 pixel

the pictures from the red squares

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 179

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.04.2009, 11:40 
Wow, that's a ridiculous resolution, it exceeds HD by quite a bit... Are you aiming for traditional film quality? :D

The link doesn't work, by the way.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5141 Likes: 242

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.04.2009, 11:47 
Quote:
Originally posted by sebastian___
I made a screenshot with 20.000 pixel resolution. And it's not made with e_screenshot because that gives you certain errors on shadows and AO. It's made with capture_frames Also when you made screenshots with high resolution the glow changes. It becomes very small in size (not in intensity) so I edited the hardware shaders for a glow matching the low-resolution one.

WARNING - 26 MB - 10.000 pixel -better right click and "Save as"

Or better download this "lower" resolution version 4.000 pixel

the pictures from the red squares

capture_frames? How? It's original resolution screen capture command.
You run Crysis with 20000 pixels window mode? ?(

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 15.12.2007, 17:08Posts: 156Location: Norway Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.04.2009, 13:12 
If I remember correctly, you can set the resolution in capture_frames too.