View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.11.2007, 21:56Posts: 1844Location: Here Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 14:35 
How much can you tell us about writing stories for games in as short a text as possible?

Last edited by Blablah on 10.05.2010, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 14.03.2008, 21:31Posts: 1758 Likes: 37

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 14:55 
most above having nothing to do with the lead writer...

To Richard Morgan:
Do you think a mixture of FPS with custom dialogs/ multiple ways of ending would enhance games or would you prefer rather linear story telling so you can tell the story without much interacting and more focus on certain details?
Do you think the storytelling like it was in classical RPGs (like Baldur's gate if you played that) is still competitive today?

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.04.2010, 04:58Posts: 42 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 14:55 
How much creative freedom were you allotted when it came to the enemies in Crysis 2?

Did you work with a pre-defined set of objects/entities and write based on them, or were you able to come up with a few new objects/entities yourself?

How is the bridge between Crysis 1 and Crysis 2 handled? Is it more of a series of episodic flashbacks, or just a brief overview of what happened?

How difficult was it for you to write a sequel to a game, while keeping the story fresh?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 31.10.2008, 17:38Posts: 1228Location: Croatia Likes: 3

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 15:32 
If I'm not mistaking, Crysis 2 will be set in 2024 or 2023, right? If so, why does it not continue where Crysis1 ended (2020) ?
Will we ever find out what happened to Prophet, when Nomad was going back to him on the end of Crysis1?

Image Video
Image DOWNLOAD
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.11.2007, 21:56Posts: 1844Location: Here Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 15:33 
Quote:
Originally posted by Ulysses182
If I'm not mistaking, Crysis 2 will be set in 2024 or 2023, right? If so, why does it not continue where Crysis1 ended (2020) ?
Will we ever find out what happened to Prophet, when Nomad was going back to him on the end of Crysis1?

Nobody would have read your post if it was just grey like everyone else's.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 28.05.2009, 16:10Posts: 88Location: Land of Confusion Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 15:46 
I've seen on many websites that people say they don't like plot in Crysis 1 so here goes my question:What do you think about story in first Crysis,will it be better in Crysis 2?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 24.02.2009, 20:40Posts: 1636Location: South Africa - Pastyland - Somewhere, you make the decision. Likes: 0

Post Topic: Richard Morgan
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 15:49 
[CENTER]Who is Richard Morgan?

‘Altered Carbon’ Author to Pen the Story for Crytek’s Blockbuster Action Game Coming Holiday 2010Redwood Shores, CA – April 12, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and Crytek GmbH today announced that Richard Morgan, award-winning author of the science-fiction bestsellers ‘Altered Carbon’ and ‘Broken Angels’, is writing the story for this holiday’s blockbuster action game, Crysis 2. Morgan is working with Crytek to bring his trademark visceral writing style to the project, which is his first entry into the video game medium. In Crysis 2, New York is under the attack of a unique and frightening alien species that combines deadly weaponry, exceptional sensory abilities and intelligent collaboration to present players with the most challenging opponents ever seen in a first person shooter. Surrounded by devastation, players must assess the situations they encounter, adapt to this urban jungle and use the weapons and powers given solely to them to save New York. Morgan enters this distressed world and brings it to life with gritty characters, a rich back-story and plot twists rarely found in video games.

“Video games are one of the only things in my life I would qualify as a complete addiction,â€

Last edited by Jacques Briel on 10.05.2010, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.05.2010, 17:57Posts: 10Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 16:07 
The crysis 2 trailer looked amazing, it conveyed a great depth in only a very short amount of time - which raises the general question on whether crysis 2 will be more focused around a movie-like story. Hence, my (admittedly also very mod-related) questions:

1. Is CryEngine 3 better to work with from a storytelling-point of view, i.e. are there new tools or features like interactive dialogue systems, improved non-actor AI (animals, civilians etc.) or anything like that?

2. Any news about CryEngine 3 becoming an independent engine for indie developers like UE?
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.04.2010, 04:58Posts: 42 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 16:29 
Quote:
Originally posted by Bogie
1. Is CryEngine 3 better to work with from a storytelling-point of view, i.e. are there new tools or features like interactive dialogue systems, improved non-actor AI (animals, civilians etc.) or anything like that?

2. Any news about CryEngine 3 becoming an independent engine for indie developers like UE?

Richard Morgan didn't work with CryEngine 3 as far as I can tell, he just wrote the story
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.05.2009, 18:28Posts: 567Location: Vancouver, Canada Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 17:10 
This may not be a valid question concidering he's the story writer and most likely does no work with the CryEngine. But I'm sure as the story writer, he probably has some control over gameplay situations.

I digress... My question is, what is the ratio of gameplay between the Aliens and the Crynet soldiers. Will you mostly be agains Aliens or vice versa? Will the two types of battles intertwine? By that, I mean will there be situations where you will be against Aliens and Soldiers at the same time?

My worry is that the majority of the game will just fighting the ol' tried-and-true mindless Aliens.

I'm not racist! I hate everyone equally!
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 11.02.2009, 01:41Posts: 107Location: kuwait Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 17:24 
Are there a lot of Epic fighting scenes?

how to do a burnout:
Step 1: Buy a new Car
Step 2: wear your seat belt (don't if your man enough)
Step 3: turn on the car, press brakes...,
Step 4: Floor the gas Pedal, release brake after 10 seconds..scream like little girl
Step 5: get new tires
DONE!
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.07.2009, 03:20Posts: 31 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 17:24 
Something like this may have been asked, but how much of a framework were you given which you had to write around? How did your approach to writing for a game differ to writing a book? What do you actually present to Crytek in the end anyway? Is it like a film script? (that may be a dumb question)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 31.01.2009, 17:16Posts: 88Location: Ireland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 17:25 
Will Nomad be far more developed as a character in this game? And will much insight to their personal lives be added at all? I'd love to know more about Nomad as he's my name sake in the game (Dunn).

Will the code-blue situation from Crysis-Warhead be further explained? I would have loved to see what actually happened,(Or maybe even played through it)
  Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2009, 13:55Posts: 653Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 17:32 
Guys, please be reminded of the rules of asking Richard Morgan questions:

• Requires a more comprehensive response than yes/no
  • Is Richard/Crytek related
  • Does not invite an answer that could be considered a spoiler
  • Is not offensive in any fashion

Last edited by Lee on 10.05.2010, 17:43, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 14.01.2008, 19:37Posts: 454Location: Toronto, Canada Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.05.2010, 18:05 
Quote:
Originally posted by Cry-Lee
Guys, please be reminded of the rules of asking Richard Morgan questions:

• Requires a more comprehensive response than yes/no
  • Is Richard/Crytek related
  • Does not invite an answer that could be considered a spoiler
  • Is not offensive in any fashion

What happens at the end of Crysis 2? :tongue: JK

Question: (Actual)

Was there any gameplay mechanics based off of your writing for C2 that were added after they were written? Things that were not in the original game/not in the original plan for crysis 2 at the begining of development?