View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 04.05.2009, 13:47Posts: 2957Location: Germany Likes: 148

Post Topic:
PostPosted 23.07.2010, 23:35 
+1 on VinoBob
He got some really good points there

@The_grim
Yep, that certainly looks better =) Are you using specular maps btw? I don't know if it's just me, but I can't really spot them :P
And perhaps you could increase the amount of dead branches or make them bigger? Because atm one can barely see them (yes I know it sounds repitive) And there's still something that's bothering me about the leaves, they still look abit cartoonish, it might help to make the actual branch a bit stronger, right now it looks just like green sheets. You should do the same thing for the leaves vino bob suggested for the trunk, imo.

edit: It's stunning to see how fast you're working btw. Keep it up :)

Lighting/Level Artist

working at metricminds

Portfolio: http://www.behance.net/Zezeri

Crysis 2: The Journey

Last edited by Zezeri on 23.07.2010, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.12.2007, 16:07Posts: 4713Location: Finland Likes: 12

Post Topic:
PostPosted 23.07.2010, 23:53 
do the needles (branches) have normal maps?

http://www.TriangulateMesh.com
Quote:
(10:36:53 PM) puppy: crymono?
(10:37:00 PM) puppy: is that some sort of illness
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

Post Topic:
PostPosted 24.07.2010, 22:05 
Thanks VinoBob, Zippy24, Zezeri and Olli! :) Yes there are normal maps as well as specular maps, though I could try to sharpen them a bit to make individual needles stand out more. There are some problems with the way CE2 renders normal maps, they always seem to end up having sharp edges with no feeling of depth... I don't want to sharpen the bark normals too much, but I could try to increase the depth. ;)

I'm afraid saturating the bark texture makes it tile too noticeably - also by having a desaturated diffuse map it's easier for the map designer to adjust the hue of the bark to his liking. I'll look into it, but I don't promise to change the saturation. :P

The needle branches are finished for now - I redid them three times already, and the final one is a compromise between realism and good appearance in-game. Yes, the leaves are "too thick" - but as the individual fronds of needles are flat in the model, I have to compensate for the lack of actual 3D thickness by making the needles closer together; as you can't see "through" a real-life spruce twig, I had to make the texture to suit and reduce the gaps between needles. I hope that makes sense! :P It also helps reduce aliasing when viewed at a distance, if there aren't too large gaps between needles in the texture. The same principle applies for the branch beneath the needles; it's not usually very visible in real life due to the amount of twigs covering it from most directions. This is, again, a compromise between realism and solid appearance in-game! ;)

The texture resolution is 1024x1024 - I figured 2k wouldn't bring much improvement except at really close range, but it would quadruple the video memory consumption of the texture. It's anyway higher resolution than the stock Crysis vegetation textures. ;)

The dead branches are problematic - I agree that there should be more of them, but increasing the density of the branches introduces some problems with z-fighting - I have enabled alpha blending for the dead branches, because without it the narrow branches look very aliased from a distance. I will make variants with more dead branches. ;)
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

Post Topic:
PostPosted 24.07.2010, 23:38 
Ok guys, enough tweaking, more release! :tongue: I present you...

This pack includes 6 Norway Spruce (Picea Abies) trees, in varied heights. The materials can be tweaked further with later releases, so you may consider this as a beta if you wish... I won't have much time to work on the trees after this week though, so don't expect frequent updates - I just wanted to get the models out before I go back to work next Monday. ;)

Download:
Follow this link to grab your copy of the Spruce Pack now!

Installation instructions:

Copy the contents of the ZIP archive (the folder named mw_trees into your Crysis\Mods\Yourmod\Objects\Natural\trees\ folder. Launch Sandbox, add the objects to your vegetation list and start creating Northern forests! ;)

Notes:
  • Sprites may have grey blotches in place of the dead branches. The problem went away after relaunch of the editor for some reason, but it came back when exporting more variations and couldn't be removed the same way.. There may also be very noticeable popping with sprites, depending heavily on the time of day.
  • Some variations of the tree might have "floating" branches on the top. This is caused by me being lazy and not checking the placement of each branch after warping the shape of the tree to make another variation.
  • Feel free to use these models in any levels or modifications, provided I'm appropriately credited as the creator. You are also allowed to tweak the materials, modify the textures etc to your heart's content, as long as you distinguish that work as being derivative from mine.
Enjoy! :) I'll type more tomorrow or Monday, and perhaps take some more pictures. Right now it's 1 AM and I'm going to sleep... :P
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.12.2007, 16:07Posts: 4713Location: Finland Likes: 12

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 01:22 
too bad theres no smiley for drooling.. could really use one right now.

Quote:
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.03.2009, 19:43Posts: 1757Location: in da hood Likes: 22

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 15:32 
I DL-d them, and made some material tweak:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

"I gots to talk. I gotta tell what I feel."

Last edited by VinoBob on 25.07.2010, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 16.01.2010, 20:35Posts: 744Location: California, USA Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 20:43 
Nice Vinobob, although you should use e_screenshot 1 at double or triple your native monitor resolution, then downsize it double or triple to your native resolution, you get much more smoother, high quality screenshots like that. ;)

Those are really nice trees the_grim, I can't wait to see them in custom maps. :D

The only thing that bugged me a bit was the tree bark having a somewhat flat normal, so I fixed it up a bit. ;)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.03.2009, 19:43Posts: 1757Location: in da hood Likes: 22

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:02 
Ahhh i usually dont mess too much with screenshots. Nice bumps, is it a pom ?

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:03 
i dont think the veg shader supports pom..

those normals looks superb slicer

funny though how as soon as someone releases something, people never use it as it is.. they always modify it somewhat

Quote:

Last edited by Olli. on 25.07.2010, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:09 
the veg does not, but you can set up illum for the trunk. In general, things - especially artworks - have their own (after)life, they evolve in several ways.

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 16.01.2010, 20:35Posts: 744Location: California, USA Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:27 
Yes, but POM doesn't work well on tree bark, the surface gets screwed up, and you have really weird depth on the bark then. I used a normal map for this, Crazybump does very, very well on large details. :)

And thanks Olli., some people like to fix up things after others so their work looks better, and everyone gets a better experience. ;)

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:36 
It looks quite good ( no stretching glitches or stuff like that ) if you use a small displacement and small scale for the tiling.

Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 10.01.2009, 03:51Posts: 781 Likes: 31

Post Topic:
PostPosted 25.07.2010, 23:40 
only issue is on the bark.. some of them have seam issues an some stretching on the bark but more seam issues then stretching.

Stone Rage™ Environment Artist

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.07.2010, 00:01 
i think the seam issue depends on the texture, and stretch issues on offset value and tiling.

obm (offset=0,02)

pom (offset=0,06)

pom (offset=0,03)

More problematic is (for long trunks ) the missing AF from POM-s, but AFAIK Xzero has fixed that.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 06.06.2010, 22:27Posts: 529Location: Turku, Finland Likes: 2

Post Topic:
PostPosted 26.07.2010, 00:53 
Weren't there Scots Pines too in some sreenshot? Are you gonna release them too? Cuz those are the ones I really wanted. ;(