View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.01.2011, 13:23 

Level update 01

Hey all, I'm one of the mappers of the mod The Increment, and I'll shall post once in a while a few tasty updates here. Mind you that our lead Squiggers still handles all the main updates of the team.

At the moment, the level is running outstanding. In editor mode I've got an average of 40 to 50 FPS on Very High spec. on a resolution of 1600 x 1000 (On a in to days standard "Mid-High end level PC"). I'm aiming for this kind of smooth performance as it's definitely a must.

The level is 2048 x 2048 meters big and is mostly covered in hand painted and textured terrain.

That's all for now,

-Edward

- It's all about the bread.

Last edited by TerrorBlast on 16.01.2011, 13:38, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 19.04.2008, 19:58Posts: 2376Location: London, England Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.01.2011, 17:45 
Looks great, but somethings bothering me about those mountains in the background, id say they either need some vegitation on them or some snow.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.04.2010, 18:17Posts: 1389Location: Canada Eh ! Likes: 21

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.01.2011, 18:21 
Looks great !

What FPS do you get on a standard Crysis Map? Island for eg.? That's the best way to compare FPS, since everbody has a different set-up.

Last edited by ultranew_b on 16.01.2011, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.01.2011, 19:27 
Quote:
Originally posted by ultranew_b
Looks great !

What FPS do you get on a standard Crysis Map? Island for eg.? That's the best way to compare FPS, since everbody has a different set-up.

Less actually, round 35 FPS.

Quote:
Looks great, but somethings bothering me about those mountains in the background, id say they either need some vegitation on them or some snow.

Ahhh yes, I had the exact same feeling. It's the continues texture that catches my eye. I will get some work on this (infact, I already started !).

I will, in the future add vegetation on the mountains. But for this to work smoothly, I need some very low spec 2D plane or simple 3D mesh of a tree so it won't hog resources !

Thanks a lot lads, and stay tuned !

-Edward

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

Post Topic:
PostPosted 16.01.2011, 19:41 
Lookin great guys, love the level design!

Associate Producer - New World Interactive
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 189

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 10:21 
Quote:
Originally posted by Squiggers

Trees are from the following 2 packs:
Pine Tree Pack
European Nature Set

Unless I'm mistaken, some of those are from my spruce pack instead. ;)

Looking good so far, though the background mountains aren't very natural-looking. The atmosphere feels great, that skybox does look very good! :)

Last edited by the_grim on 17.01.2011, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.01.2009, 20:54Posts: 2050Location: Under Ruan's bed. Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 13:54 
Quote:
Originally posted by the_grim
Quote:

Pine Tree Pack
European Nature Set

Looking good so far, though the background mountains aren't very natural-looking. The atmosphere feels great, that skybox does look very good! :)

I'm so sorry, I couldn't remember all the packs used by terrorblast, ill add yours to the list when I get on my pc, its a bit time consuming via my phone! :))

CryDev's professional troll.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 17:07 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Pine Tree Pack
European Nature Set

I'm so sorry, I couldn't remember all the packs used by terrorblast, ill add yours to the list when I get on my pc, its a bit time consuming via my phone! :))

That is right, I never actually used Exodus' trees. Might be a slight mistake I made while telling CoD, sorry about that. Your trees are absolutely fantastic for the job, thanks for your contribution.

As for the mountains, they are being worked on. The issue is that placing thousands of trees on a mountain will make the game lag, so I need a low quality prop or even a 2D plane to replace that.

Thanks about the skybox, but infact that isn't a skybox at all !

Those are distant clouds set up correctly with the ToD and a lot of other factors to blend the colours.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.02.2008, 14:13Posts: 2735Location: Greece Likes: 5

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 17:45 
Beautiful level you got there guys! Keep it up! ;)

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.02.2009, 00:48Posts: 325Location: Poland, Cracow Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 18:26 
Nice 3D model stuff, guy on first scrn look like neanderthal.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 08.03.2009, 18:46Posts: 1468Location: Cyprus Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 17.01.2011, 21:18 
He's a Scot.... :P No offence lol

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.01.2009, 20:54Posts: 2050Location: Under Ruan's bed. Likes: 1

Post Topic:
PostPosted 18.01.2011, 13:47 
The character in question is meant to be a man mountain at 6'4. Be glad he's on your team, let's put it like that.

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 189

Post Topic:
PostPosted 19.01.2011, 10:37 
Quote:
Originally posted by TerrorBlast

As for the mountains, they are being worked on. The issue is that placing thousands of trees on a mountain will make the game lag, so I need a low quality prop or even a 2D plane to replace that.

Sprites should help with that issue, as well as background models that don't have physics (such as the hill trees in Crysis).

Quote:

Those are distant clouds set up correctly with the ToD and a lot of other factors to blend the colours.

Wow, then it's even better! :D In fact, I looked closely because I thought I recognized some of the distance cloud forms, but it looked so natural I assumed it was a skybox instead. Great job! :)

Post Topic:
PostPosted 19.01.2011, 15:21 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TerrorBlast

Sprites should help with that issue, as well as background models that don't have physics (such as the hill trees in Crysis).

Quote:

Wow, then it's even better! :D In fact, I looked closely because I thought I recognized some of the distance cloud forms, but it looked so natural I assumed it was a skybox instead. Great job! :)

Aye, indeed. Will be a must to add to the list of items we need.

Thanks a lot about the sky. I feel that it's a very important piece of the editing puzzle. You have it filling up for 50% of your "sphere of view", so you better make it look worth while.

Post Topic: Character Turntables, Teaser Trailer Plans...
PostPosted 22.01.2011, 19:57 

IWS Logo Video:
First up, we have the IWS Logo that will be appearing in all of our future media, in particular, our upcoming trailers.

[YOUTUBE]_60yKWLQ3KY&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Character Turntables:
We've got our first first two character turntables available for you today. First up is the player character, Sgt. John "Paddy" Casey.

[YOUTUBE]uFDcWGhU3cA[/YOUTUBE]

And SSgt. Dan "Mackie" MacIntyre, one of the key protagonists in the game.

[YOUTUBE]JJhP7dTLW_Q&[/YOUTUBE]

Both character's were modelled and textured by Valentin Wirth, based on concept art by Franklin Lei.

Teaser Trailer...
We are currently hard at work on two of the environments for the tech demo, along with our teaser trailer. We'll hopefully have something more on these levels for you in our next update, but for now... Heres a little hint for one of the levels: The Border.

Forums:
We've just moved our forum software back to PHPBB, and we'd welcome anyone who wishes to join us on the forums. Go on. We don't bite. We'll be running competitions in the coming months in the run up to the tech demo release, along with releasing exclusive media on our forums/site. You can find our forums in this link:

http://forum.ironwolfstudios.net/

Recruitment:
We're still looking for dedicated staff to join our team!
  • 3D Hardsurface Modelling
  • 3D Organic Modelling
  • Texture Artist
  • Animator
  • C++/XML/Lua Coder
  • Flowgrapher

Thats all for now,

-J
IWS Team Lead

ImageImageImageImageImage

Last edited by Squiggers on 22.01.2011, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.