View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 04:15Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic: [WIP] How the Desert Misses the Rain
PostPosted 04.11.2007, 07:50 
:baby:So I decided to try and make a desert map using the limited textures/materials at my disposal in the demo.

I am kind of using this as a way to learn Sandbox 2, while still making a good quality map.

All I have focused up to this point is texturing/hightmap/terrain/vegitation. I plan to add voxels for overhangs, and other stuff as well for extra detail next. Then I will start adding things liek clouds, before actually starting the level design (which i where I might have more than a good share of bumps with :tongue:)

The hightmap was generated using GeoControl, and then importing it in SB2. What a fabulous program! I really like the results. I could probibly be able to achive higher quality and more realistic looking terrain if I went in afterwords and really worked at terrain creation with brushes and what-not, but at this stage of skill, that would of been overkill for me :)

I tried to make everything seem natural in deisgn, and each texture job have it's purpose and "personality" for being there, to make it have more sense in a visual way.

The biggest challenge for me was trying to get details in somthing so plain as a desert. I only have about 4-5 or so different texture layers, yet it took over 10 minutes to generate the surface textures due to how much/different I used each of them

The weed at the bottom of the cliffs, leaching what little water and nutrients the soil gets dry

Overhead view of the rock cliffs

Looking at Brown Mesa in the morning hours

On top of Brown Mesa in the morning

Weeds growing up Brown Mesa and leeching it dry at high noon

Night Vision is usefull/wanted during night!

Without night vision

Skydive overview of the whole area at night in night-vision

Current Issues:

Can't get my material settings to save. I tweaked the materials for both of my rock textures to make them look less buggy up-close shader wise. However, when I save+restart, although everything else is fine, my shader settings I set these two materials for reset back to the buggy-close-up defaults. Any help?

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 12.04.2007, 16:51Posts: 3271 Likes: 2

Post Topic: RE: [WIP] How the Desert Misses the Rain
PostPosted 04.11.2007, 09:47 
my guess its the editor.. you cant even duplicate the materials... they are read only
try placing those objects in a layer called (MatObjects) and see if it works ?(

oh btw the map looks nice..

Last edited by VengenceBot on 04.11.2007, 09:48, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 04:15Posts: 1407 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.11.2007, 16:57 
What objects? You mean place the materials? How do I do that? I'm talking about the materials painted on the terrain for the rock :P

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.11.2007, 05:42 
Update!

The local military village's shooting range:

Inside the recreation/work shack at night:

The village at dawn:

Inside one of the cave's that lead to to the top of the mesa:

Looking up one of the long shafts to the surface:

Currently Fiddling with:

Trying to place all my objects/prefabs/ect before it's too late, and that includes all the object detail in the caves, armories, main base, ect...

I might have to just release a "non-playable" finished version for the demo, and finish the map in it's entirety after release.

Also, I plan to add VisArea's and Portals to the caves, once i figure out how they work and how to do it in the first place. That way, I can make the caves completely dependant on secondary light sources instead of ambient light.

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.11.2007, 02:52Posts: 270 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 10.11.2007, 06:00 
Very cool man. I especially like the whole night ambience.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 05.01.2008, 18:01Posts: 11Location: Evanston, IL Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.01.2008, 06:20 
Wow, awesome.

This could almost be a Mission to Mars mod, you kow, if the shooting gallery wasn't there I mean.

Last edited by jonnyfilmboy on 07.01.2008, 06:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2008, 20:55Posts: 1514 Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.01.2008, 19:26 
sorry.. iam very new :D ahm could you tell me what "WIP" means? or is it VIP ?

:P - Best Version of (: P) Smiley Ever!
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 22.11.2007, 17:08Posts: 4907Location: Switzerland Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 07.01.2008, 19:47 
Work In Progress, you can understand it by reading the description ;)

Anyway it seems that these textures are too stretched...

-> SQUAD COMMANDER - a complete squad at your commands - go wherever you want / do whatever you want
----------
-> MAXIMUM CHALLENGE - a complete SP modification - the real hard campaign / more enemies / more action
----------
-> TANA's: Tactical Alien Nanosuit Attachments - Alien nanosuit attachments to expand and increase your abilities
----------
-> AGILITY FLOWGRAPH - Do amazing wall runs and jumps, grab edges and climb and jump everywhere. Have fun!