View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.04.2010, 18:17Posts: 1389Location: Canada Eh ! Likes: 20

Post Topic: Level Design Demo Reels
PostPosted 26.01.2011, 22:58 
Hey, I'm starting work on my demo reel.

I was hoping some experts here could share some tips and advice.

Examples of a good demo reel that landed a job would be really useful.

I've seen a few on youtube, but I don't know who these people are and if they were successful demo reels or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cheers !

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11809Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 717

Post Topic:
PostPosted 03.02.2011, 23:35 
I am putting together mine as we speak.

I'm going to make a portfolio which im going to send by ordinary mail.
My portfolio (which consists of 12 plastic pages with 2 images (normal photosize) and some description on each side)

When my portfolio is finished i can have it scanned so you can see how i built it up.

A few good things to include would be :
* 1 video of each level (1-2min in length? in 1080p, using capture_frames in x2/x4 Full HD and then downsizing to 1080p).
* 4-6 images of each level (in 1080p, using e_screenshot or capture_frames in x2/x4 Full HD and then downsizing to 1080p).
* a DVD to store fullsize images and videos (1080p).
* make the portfolio good looking, buy some black paper and glue those images on that with white/silver text description (find a good font).
* don't put to many images or videos in your portfolio, only those you are the most happy with. having 100-200 images on a
DVD isn't going to increase your chances, it only takes up more time for Crytek to read thru it).
* keep your portfolio tidy and don't throw in too much text about each picture, go straight to the point!
* add some text about yourself, maybe a resume ?

* be sure to send it at the right time! (luck is always a factor, maybe Crytek needs a person right now and you show up at the same time with impressive work ?)
That has already happend with a few Crymod users who got hired. Right time, right place.

During a possible interview (with Crytek?) :
* dress up like any other crytek dude would (check the dev videos, atleast put some clothes on!)
* do background checks on the company (when they started, how many games, copies sold, how team works, how many studios they own, etc...)
* don't lie / brag about yourself, be honest!
* if you can't work in groups / teams - don't bother showing up for the interview!
* if you have a very cocky attitude (like i'm the best level designer in the world) - don't bother showing up for the interview!
* be humble and listen to what they say (and yes they have more experience than you do, remember that!)

When they ask you when you can start, you say NOW!

edit : It wouldn't hurt to have an online portfolio at http://www.carbonmade.com

Last edited by Lavizh on 04.02.2011, 00:00, edited 11 times in total.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.11.2007, 21:56Posts: 1844Location: Here Likes: 0

Post Topic:
PostPosted 03.02.2011, 23:41 
Quote:
* dress up like any other crytek dude would (check the dev videos)
* don't lie / brag about yourself, be honest!

Contradiction :>
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11809Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 717

Post Topic:
PostPosted 03.02.2011, 23:42 
Whops.

But you get my drift, atleast put some clothes on for gods sake! :D

Last edited by Lavizh on 03.02.2011, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.04.2010, 18:17Posts: 1389Location: Canada Eh ! Likes: 20

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2011, 00:13 
Hey,

Thanks for the reply.

I posed the same question over at Mapcore.com. A forum frequented by many level design professionals (including crytek staff). Got some interesting responses.

The most interesting response was to not make a level design demo reel. Demo reels are more for animators/particle effects guys. Stuff that shows motion. Instead make a really good portfolio with your best work. Keep it simple. Then be prepared to explain your levels in depth ( your design philosophy) during an interview.

Check out the mapcore thread:

http://forums.mapcore.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=15897&p=283484#p283484

cheers

:D

Last edited by ultranew_b on 04.02.2011, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2011, 04:01 
LMFAO at the demo reel > http://vimeo.com/19368587 aside from that bit of comedy some really solid suggestions in there :) Good luck with it! Personally think portfolios such as HP's are really what you should be aiming for (minus the game art). http://www.helderpinto.com/ Helder (if you didn't know) was hired by Crytek and used to be a member of Crymod.

Associate Producer - New World Interactive

Last edited by Fortran on 04.02.2011, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post Topic:
PostPosted 04.02.2011, 09:56 
Helder "HP" Pinto, Cry-Puppy and Xzero (in May) are all good examples of how/why they got hired by Crytek.
I think Cry-Puppy was at the right place at the right time. Impressed the right people.