View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.04.2008, 19:40Posts: 2321Location: London, UK Likes: 1

Post Topic: [Released] Genuine Steelmill
PostPosted 30.06.2011, 10:39 
The map Steelmill, well known to us from first Crysis and Crysis Wars, has became one of the most popular map in these games. The Genuine remake of this map for Crysis 2 won't make you stand apart. By combining the Crysis Wars' mechanics and dynamics of Crysis 2, with complete set of new weapons and different features, I've got a brand new map, which I called Genuine Steelmill.

About development

Working at this map, I was changing a lot of things, both in game genre and in use of the maximum capabilities of CryENGINE3. Each object has been reworked manually. All materials were set up for Crysis 2, and each texture has been converted through new CryTIFF plugin. Along with this, I created all the Bump and Specular maps from scratch. A lot of models were equipped with custom hi-resolution textures that the most important and significant parts of map would be seen on top. Playing Genuine Steelmill, you won't notice even a single bug.

Key features

• 100% original remake of Steelmill, well known from Crysis\Wars
  • Map size - large (16 players)
  • Support of TIA\IA game modes
  • Reworked environment in original genre, beautiful and high quality graphics as it should have been in Crysis 2
  • Reworked objects and materials
  • Custom high-resolution textures
  • New weapons and features from Crysis 2
  • Extended tactical environment, new weapons pickups ans cover points turns the gameplay into a real meat!
  • Parkour - more than 800 parkour objects to use on a map
  • Easter eggs

Credits

• Alex626 - Lead level designer
  • Kim - Designer assistant, tester
  • IGOR.T - Minimap creator, tester

Screenshots

(see them all in gallery)

Pre-Release Trailer:

Download - Genuine Steelmill

Installation:

• Download the file "Genuine Steelmill.rar" and unpack it to any folder
  • Go to the root installation folder of Crysis 2
  • Copy "gamecrysis2" folder from unpacked archive into ../Crysis2/
  • Start the game, connect to server or create your own

LEGAL INFORMATION:

This level contains reworked data from Crysis Wars and custom resources, such as solids, materials and textures. This is an author work and intellectual property of Crytek and Aleksey "Alex626" Laptev.

1. You are not allowed to unpack and\or use the level resources, listed below, for your purpose:

• GameCrysis2/Levels/wars/Steelmill/Level.pak\Objects
  • GameCrysis2/Levels/wars/Steelmill/Level.pak\Textures
  • GameCrysis2/Levels/wars/Steelmill/Level.pak\Materials
  • GameCrysis2/Levels/wars/Steelmill/Level.pak\Brush
  • GameCrysis2/textures/levels/wars/steelmill

If you would like to use these resources, you should ask an author for a personal permission for it via e-mail (Alex626@crymod.net).

2. You are not allowed to upload this map to any other pages without titling an author and without the links to official threads:

CRYMOD.NET - http://crymod.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=595
CryMod.com - http://www.crymod.com/viewtopic.php?f=309&t=68619

3. You are not allowed to include this map in your own map packs.

Last edited by Alex626 on 21.10.2011, 19:00, edited 24 times in total.

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.09.2010, 16:12Posts: 94Location: Australia Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: CW2_Steelmill
PostPosted 30.06.2011, 10:54 
Awesome, CE3 does indeed make it look juicy lol. Good job on the converting and editing! Can't wait till we can play this in multiplayer! :D

I really hope a lot of PC gamers get in on the multiplayer mods.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.06.2011, 11:18Posts: 20Location: Kiev, Ukraine Likes: 0

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 11:22 
OMG. This is unbelievable! And so quick! Looks amazing! If it will appear on dedicated servers I'll immediately buy both DLC just to support CryTek team)))
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 15.11.2007, 18:12Posts: 319Location: Surrey, UK Likes: 0

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 12:04 
Looks great. Just wondering though, have we had the go ahead that stuff like this is ok? Using assets from the other games I mean?
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.06.2011, 11:18Posts: 20Location: Kiev, Ukraine Likes: 0

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 12:42 
Quote by murdocr:
Looks great. Just wondering though, have we had the go ahead that stuff like this is ok? Using assets from the other games I mean?

Why not? We are using CryTek's property to create levels and it's not a sin to use assets from another CryTek property))) He is not going to sell it anyway)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.04.2008, 19:40Posts: 2321Location: London, UK Likes: 1

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 13:02 
Thank you guys! :)

I think too that its allowed to use these assets, as they are property of Crytek's games, its like using assets from Warhead in Crysis 1. The most of us have licensed copies of all these games, we are just moving assets from one game to another, so Crytek should have no worry about piracy.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 11249Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 836

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 13:55 
Just to clear the question, yes, you're allowed to use Crysis assets in the Crysis 2 Mod SDK :)

Looking very nice, Alex!

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 15.11.2007, 18:12Posts: 319Location: Surrey, UK Likes: 0

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 14:05 
Ah awesome, thanks for clearing that up :)
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.06.2010, 19:54Posts: 725Location: Germany Likes: 5

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 14:09 
How did you get the map in the editor? When I try to load the map, nothing happens...
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.03.2009, 19:43Posts: 1762Location: in da hood Likes: 24

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 14:41 
So you can port SB2 levels onto SB3 aight ? How much is is difficult ? Are there any other conversions needed apart from the texture conversions ? Are there any issues regadring the ToD ? The background shading looks somehow different or at least i dont remember that this level had that awful looking hills in the background
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.02.2009, 18:11Posts: 2350Location: United States Likes: 5

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 14:50 
Quote by JustNameless:
How did you get the map in the editor? When I try to load the map, nothing happens...

Are you running as administrator?

@Topic: Wow, amazing work. Planning on having all the Wars maps done by Monday? :cheesy:

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 15:03 
I have 2 questions:
Alex Do we need to collect weapons in this game or will keep starting the match with custom preset of weapons?
Cry-Adam Can you tell us some details about how and when we'll be able see custom maps on live servers?
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 02.05.2011, 15:08Posts: 102 Likes: 3

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 15:40 
Quote by Cry-Adam:
Just to clear the question, yes, you're allowed to use Crysis assets in the Crysis 2 Mod SDK :)

Looking very nice, Alex!

Sweet, thanks Crytek! Also, good job, Alex.

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 17:05 
Quote by VinoBob:
So you can port SB2 levels onto SB3 aight ? How much is is difficult ? Are there any other conversions needed apart from the texture conversions ? Are there any issues regadring the ToD ? The background shading looks somehow different or at least i dont remember that this level had that awful looking hills in the background

Yes, you can. But now you cannot load Crysis\Wars levels into engine, so you will need to move all the data manually.

@Cry-Adam
Thank you :)

@Boombear
I am really thinking about the full map pack from Crysis Wars. Standard levels of Crysis 2 are too boring and there are a lot of debris and rubbish everywhere.

@MegaBASS
This map has a classic Crysis Wars mechanics - you can pick up every weapon you want, but still you can choose the equipment pack. Each weapon is corresponding the original Steelmill, for example Gauss Rifle.

The other weapons which does not exist in Crysis 2 are replaced with similar (AlienMount -> Mike, FGL40 -> Swarmer, LAW -> JAW). I also added a couple of machine guns, mounted machine guns and a mounted automatic grenade launcher. I am trying to use as much as it possible of interactive objects and features from Crysis 2, but it should be an old good Steelmill too :)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 07.11.2010, 23:02Posts: 3 Likes: 0

PostPosted 30.06.2011, 20:14 
Quote by MegaBASS:
OMG. This is unbelievable! And so quick! Looks amazing! If it will appear on dedicated servers I'll immediately buy both DLC just to support CryTek team)))

no need i dont know if you have seen it becuase i didnt but they released their dedicated server software now for free use just go hear, one problem though is its very hard to understand but thats probebly becuase i im not a modder or anything anyway here :http://www.mycrysis.com/support