Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

Post Topic: The Cryengine 3 / UDK debate - What should I Use?
PostPosted 12.07.2011, 18:37 
Hey Crymod,

I am currently looking into 2 game engines for use in a game that I am planning on making.

Cryengine 3 and the UDK

I am looking for some advice on what engine to use. Due to the fact that I do not have access to the Crysis SDK / Cryengine 3

I really do not know much about cry engine both in workflow and the engines capabilities its self.
It is really quite the opposite for the UDK. I know what it is capable and what it can do.

As for my modeling software of choice I use Blender. Which I know that UDK does not like...

But as for the Cryengine 3 I do not know... Only thing that i know is that it has a import tool that will allow people to import Collada (.DAE) files.

So here goes the question should I learn a entirely new software package or stick with the UDK to make my game?

I am more than willing to learn a new software package just as long as it meets my needs.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 29.06.2011, 23:40Posts: 3 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: The Cryengine 3 / UDK debate - What should I Use?
PostPosted 12.07.2011, 19:25 
Depends more on what you need and what you gonna build.

With the Cryengine you gonna have a better tool to archiv AAAish Games. You get lot of Tools, Shaders/AI/ect. the Engine is build to host heavy projects. So if you gonna make a shooter an big open world RPG with lots of Assets and Content. You may want to use the cry engine, there you can even start writing the code in c++ from day 1. The Cryengine 3 and its tools is geared towards high quality (and "highend" "next Gen" and what so ever ;) ) Productions.

On the other side, you have the UDK, its organisation and unrealscript makes it easy to start fast, prototype and so on. You can make games for the Iphone and its easier to handle small projects with it and it its at the same time good enought for big projects too.

Thats an general thought, often its delails that will make your decision. For Example if you want to workt with gravity you mostly have to use Cryengine3 (or Unity ect.) because the gravity vector isn't editable in the UDK via UScript.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.04.2010, 22:50Posts: 1234Location: In front of a computer Likes: 13

PostPosted 12.07.2011, 20:58 
I would highly recommend ce3, I am not an expert with unreal though the few times I have played around with it I realized ce3 is a lot easier to use.
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

PostPosted 12.07.2011, 21:22 
Hey Hellbrood, Thanks for the In depth description of both engines :)

I have a few more questions -

In the cry engine 3 is it possible to replace the death animations of Certain characters with Particle Effects and a Ragdoll? (E.g. Disintegration)

This is something i really struggled with in the UDK.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 29.06.2011, 23:40Posts: 3 Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.07.2011, 22:10 
Quote by blackhorizon:
I would highly recommend ce3, I am not an expert with unreal though the few times I have played around with it I realized ce3 is a lot easier to use.

I foresaw such a comment. Well some parts are easier, for exaple you dont need to bake light or you dont have to write complicated AI your self and you get working water which looks great. And WYSIWYP is just great. You get so many tools in the SB that its like using max or maya

On the other side, UDK has FBX support, which is great for people doing assets, it has easy Maya-like tools to create shaders. Its system is (at least in my opinion) easier to save data or creat objects then it is in the cryengine. The Editor is clean and allmost all Game/Asset data are stored in the content browser.

The conclusion is the same, for small projects and little game appart from shooters and rpgs, the cryengine will maybe slow you down. For bigger projects the cry sdk is maybe better then the UDK.

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 01:53 
Just a quick Question

Just purchased C2 what are the system requirements to run the SB3 editor?
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 08.03.2008, 02:49Posts: 89 Likes: 0

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 04:07 
Well, the big thing is that you need a 64-Bit operating system.

If you don't have one, you are SoL until you buy one.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5171Status: Online Likes: 252

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 04:15 
UDK has much higher versatility than CE3. But of course, more complex.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 10.04.2010, 22:50Posts: 1234Location: In front of a computer Likes: 13

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 04:36 
It also depends on what kind of game you are making...
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 02.05.2011, 15:08Posts: 102 Likes: 3

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 11:11 
As one who went to CE2/3 from UDK I can only say that UDK makes it very hard to develop large open world game types (RPGs and such). Not saying it is not possible, you just have to make lot of things youself (I struggled for cca a month with dynamic sky and rain, in CE I got it in under 5 minutes). UDK did not even have working vegetation painting at the moment.

On the other hand, I got working prototype of my game (including complex stuff like melee combat) along with UI (drawn using simple Canvas class provided by UScript) done really quickly. It was just a matter of taking base classes provided by UDK and modifying what necessary. With CE2 it took me a while to understand how even the most basic stuff works.

I'd say you should wait a month or two to check the new CDK indie kit. If there is a reasonable basic setup provided out-of-the box with few tutorials covering basic mechanics (how to setup your character, camera, load a world, move the char in it, ...) it could change a lot. Also, we don't know for sure what tools (strong part of UDK) and assets will ship with CDK which will also make a decision for a lot of people.

As others above me have already said, it depends on the game you are trying to make. I'd say for more static games (static light, level-based, ...) go for UDK, otherwise pick CE3. Also if you got no experience with CE, you should try to make a simple mod in it and see how you like the workflow...
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9874Location: Finland Likes: 181

PostPosted 13.07.2011, 12:18 
Regarding the death animations question, it most definitely is possible, but might be a bit tricky. From my experience in Crysis modding, a lot of stuff is hardcoded: things like Fists weapon not having a crosshair - to enable crosshair I needed to create an identical clone of the Fists weapon scripts with a different name.

We don't know yet what is included in the Cryengine Development Kit or whatever it's called. Crysis 2 has a working basis for a shooter game, but a lot of the capabilities of the engine itself are restricted - for example available console variables to tweak engine settings are different than in another build I've tried (the Educational SDK). Then again, the educational version has quite different game mechanics for a base: the example game is a third-person shooter type thing, and modifying it to a first-person shooter requires some work. For all we know, the indie development kit could just have the bare bones engine, and you'd have to code in all of your game features, including the player camera and movement system. On the bright side, it most probably will have less hardcoded features, and more flexibility in tweaking the engine settings and game mechanics.
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 02.05.2011, 15:08Posts: 102 Likes: 3

PostPosted 14.07.2011, 07:46 
Quote by the_grim:
For all we know, the indie development kit could just have the bare bones engine, and you'd have to code in all of your game features, including the player camera and movement system. On the bright side, it most probably will have less hardcoded features, and more flexibility in tweaking the engine settings and game mechanics.

Hopefuly...
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1641 Likes: 197

PostPosted 14.07.2011, 15:12 
UDK is way much more complex and functional than CE3/SB3.

PostPosted 14.07.2011, 19:32 
Quote by Plastix:
UDK is way much more complex and functional than CE3/SB3.

We will have to wait and see wont we?
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11649Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 695

PostPosted 14.07.2011, 19:58 
It all depends how the CDK will turn out. If Crytek does it right we will have some example files and mini games explaining the usage of the CDK. I will make my judgement when it arrives.