Inside and Outside the Box

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10157Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 498

Post Topic: Re: Think Inside & Outside The Box
PostPosted 06.09.2011, 11:37 
Hey guys, remember to post your progress in new threads (submissions don't count here)... some awesome looking stuff so far! :easter:

Quote:
Do we start a thread once we are finished or when ever?
Whenever you like :)

Quote:
Cry-Adam, do you know how to freeze an effect? To make it look frozen in time?
You could try t_scale 0 or alter the 'speed' properties if the object has it.

Quote:
Perhaps block it with a window/glass just at the 4m mark just to be sure.
Yep, we're pretty flexible as it's just a bit of fun but you should try stay on the safe side if possible ;)

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9828Location: Finland Likes: 161

PostPosted 06.09.2011, 20:27 
It's a bit unclear as to what are the submission requirements? People here seem to be planning gameplay and/or videos, while I assumed it would be a screenshot challenge - which one applies? :)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.08.2011, 18:37Posts: 8 Likes: 0

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 01:28 
Got the size right, now I will go crazy :evil:
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10157Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 498

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 10:10 
Quote by the_grim:
It's a bit unclear as to what are the submission requirements? People here seem to be planning gameplay and/or videos, while I assumed it would be a screenshot challenge - which one applies? :)

We had only planned for screenshot submissions. Video and gameplay weren't considered but maybe for the next one? :) We're going to look through each entry and narrow down to a couple of our favourites and then if need be, request the .cry file to take a closer look.

Liam answered a bunch of questions in the news post:

Quote by Liam:
Some answers to your questions:

Put in whatever you want. The basic 6 walls still need to stand after you're done. Tricking the rules is appreciated, but still obey them. Feel free to put an entire artificial world with ocean and sun in there, but the walls have to stand.
Quote by s87:
Does scripted gameplay count or is the competition only about screenshots / how the room looks like?

Only the end result, which is a screenshot and proof of the measurements. This is a purely artistical challenge.
Quote by Tiesto:
This is awsome! i will be entering. :))

Just to clarify , can we put as many objects as we want inside the room ? and can the window be a model or does the window need to be made from solids also ?

Feel free to put as much as you can in there. And yes, window-models can be used. As I said, the basic walls still need to be there. What the basic wall is in the end, or how you define it, is limited by your creativity. If you want it, use that thing as a skybox or w/e.

Quote by VinoBob:
Does it have to be a single room or can this volume contain more rooms ?

Put in as much you want to. The solid is not necessarily a wall of a room, it's whatever you're doing with it.
Quote by doomlord52:
So you make the room out of solids, but can put actual objects (like that desk and chair) in it? Or is it like the last one where ONLY solids are allowed (inside the room)?

Basic walls = Solids, everything else is up to you.
Quote by Zurginator:
Is it the INSIDE of the solid area that needs to be that size, or the outside? Also, why don't people just make it out of 1 solid using the subtract option.... :P

Also, are custom objects allowed, or should that be all solids-based?

You may choose the thickness of your walls as it suits your concept.
And custom objects are allowed, but the 6 basic walls must be solids. You can also use the subtract option. Just provide proof on the measurements.

If there are any further questions, just ask here. I'm excited to see what you guys come up with. :)

Quote by Liam:
Quote by VinoBob:
So this is basically a challange of screenshots ? No gameplay at all ?

Only screenshots, yes.
Quote by modsuki:
Ummm... rules are still vague.
- We can use both screenshot & video for entry?
- We can use only 1 entry for this competition?
- We can change shape of room freely within the size? Cube, Triangle, ok?
- No window or hole is ok? This means, only inside the room.
- Transpearent walls are ok?

-Screenshots only
-Only 1 entry
-No, only rectangle, as given by the dimensions. I can hardly imagine that it's possible to create a triangle by following the measurements of a rectangle ;)
-It must be inside the solid construct, you can also use no windows at all.
-depends on what you understand as transparent walls. Just making them invisible to circumvent the rules of the competition is not allowed. If you can build the transparency into the concept, then yes, i.e. an underwater room or similar. If you're in doubt, you can PM me with a rough screenshot of your idea and I'll tell you if it's okay or not. For the sake of fairness, I will simply reply with yes or no. I hope you understand.

Quote by Zeph:
Can they stand hidden on a separate layer?

No

To clarify: The idea of this competition is to be creative, even though there are heavy restrictions given. Put your imagination inside a box. Spin the box, cut the box, fill the box with water, create an artificial city, make a simple office room, a horror scene, cut stuff out so it's resembling a prison or whatever.

Again, if you have questions, ask! :)

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.09.2008, 02:53Posts: 224Location: Kansas, U.S. Likes: 7

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 13:45 
heya- i kinda did a bad thing. I misread the rules and thought it said CryEngine 3 or 2 but it really said Crysis 3 editor or Crysis 2 SDK.... I've put quite a bit of the last couple days into this and was hoping you guys could make an exception- I'd be at a disadvantage tool wise =/

The reason I'm still in CE2 is because I'm finishing up a project and don't want to tease myself with the new features.

i didn't want to post anything until i was closer to finished.... maybe the screenies will help you guys make the tough decision to accept the old pooey engine :D

PostPosted 07.09.2011, 15:00 
If you manage to get that into CryENGINE3 before Monday then you'll be in with a good chance but no changing the rules :P

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 03:45 
Hey! does anybody knows how to export something from Max with the same scale you make it ? I am having trouble importing objects into the engine without its proper scale, I don't want to be scaling my objects inside the Cryengine. Every time I import something from Max to the Cryengine, no matter how big or small I make it in max it always shows up with a small size in the engine, and this is driving me crazy!... I want to be able to model and texture my static meshes with the proper size without having to scale them in the engine. THANKS! :)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 27.10.2007, 14:11Posts: 225Location: Germany, Berlin Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 16:27 
you should use reset xform before you export anything, and you have to set your max unit poperties to meter or centimeter.

read this for more informations: http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDO ... +Reference
for more information about "what is xform": google :D

Design Intern @ Yager Development
http://www.kentutainment.de
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 27.06.2011, 17:30Posts: 26Location: Austria Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 19:04 
I made a quick sketch of an Idea I have, with 3ds max. There are some elements that they are extended out of the box for some aesthetic reasons but the interior space is enclosed with glass and it obeys the limited dimensions. Is it OK ?
Attachments:

a2.jpg
a1.jpg

PostPosted 08.09.2011, 21:24 
Thanks for the info!
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.08.2011, 17:43Posts: 130 Likes: 2

PostPosted 09.09.2011, 02:57 
I need some help, im trying to make some objects from solid, right now im working on stairs but everytime when i use Ctrl+g(to test the game) i can go trough the solids, any guess? what im doing wrong? :S
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 27.10.2007, 14:11Posts: 225Location: Germany, Berlin Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.09.2011, 04:11 
you build the stairs with merge some solids, right?

select your stairs and press "reset xform". now you can walk up and down, but collision is so whatever for this contest :D

Design Intern @ Yager Development
http://www.kentutainment.de

PostPosted 09.09.2011, 18:05 
:')

Really awesome seeing so many brilliant entries! Keep them coming guys but remember, Monday is your last chance to get your entries in :D

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.09.2009, 01:08Posts: 334Location: Frogland Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 07:27 
Sad news, the level i was working on got corrupted tonight, i've tried different kind of fixes : .bak to .cry, open the xml editor to find some duplicate elements that may cause problems, rebuild a new archive with Izarc and winrar, but nothing works, the editor just crash nearly at the end of the loading bar.
I'm just (insert any bad words here)...
So, good luck to everyone, there are some great entries in this competition.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.12.2007, 12:38Posts: 1225Location: The Netherlands, Boxmeer Likes: 15

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 09:49 
Quote by Ghibli:
Sad news, the level i was working on got corrupted tonight, i've tried different kind of fixes : .bak to .cry, open the xml editor to find some duplicate elements that may cause problems, rebuild a new archive with Izarc and winrar, but nothing works, the editor just crash nearly at the end of the loading bar.
I'm just (insert any bad words here)...
So, good luck to everyone, there are some great entries in this competition.

Thats sad to hear.
I usually save my level under a different version name every hour so I can always go back to a previous version if something goes wrong. And of course back up the whole level once a day.