Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3048Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

Post Topic: Re: Crysis 1 not on console..... Riiiiight ?
PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:19 
Quote by eaglevision:
So is this PC footage at 360 settings? It seems to run and look a hell of a lot better than Crysis 2.

Also, if it's so much better, why no PC version?

We had an editor for the PC version. :P

Quote by =SW=warlord:
Quote by Cry-Ruan:
Understanding, however, moves rapidly.

I also have it on good faith that liberal amounts of magic were used.

That still doesn't account for the fact that Crysis needed over a gig of sys RAM let alone VRAM to run on pc.
The xbox has only 512mb's of ram in total including VRAM and system memory.
Unless there's some sort of streaming involved [which would reduce distance quality] there's little chance consoles could beat PC in terms of overall quality and performance.

You'd be amazed by how bad C1 is in terms of optimizations. You'd also be amazed by how much merging shaders can help speed up the engine. CE2 was a huge waste of resources, it really was. Just.... trust me on that.

Quote by zaxooz:
Quote by =SW=warlord:
Quote by Cry-Ruan:

That still doesn't account for the fact that Crysis needed over a gig of sys RAM let alone VRAM to run on pc.
The xbox has only 512mb's of ram in total including VRAM and system memory.
Unless there's some sort of streaming involved [which would reduce distance quality] there's little chance consoles could beat PC in terms of overall quality and performance.

You did notice how low res the scenes look, plus all the environmental textures will be of low-res sort as well.

Nothing to worry about, the video clearly shows the pc version to be superior (especially the lighting, so don't know whats all the talk about upgraded lighting), all they did was jack the contrast up slightly and add some fog (as you can see in the famous first level overlook-sunrise-at-see moment). Instead we should all pester Xzero to release his updated and hopefully final shader pack, that will be a more meaningful update to the original game than console hardware tailored changes (its obvious that those will be entirely superficial, as post-process AA doesn't beat MSAA, aggressively streaming stuff from memory doesn't beat 2GB of system RAM and so on).

:P Can't say I'll fold to your demands!

However, I hope you realize a lot of the shaders I wrote include several things that are in the new engine, such as linear lighting or consistent specular lighting. The lighting in CE3 is unarguably better and so the console versions of C1 will also benefit. Don't underestimate physically correct lighting and correct math. ;)

I'm still not digging the night shots though.

Also: environment probes. ;)

Anyway, tetxures, objects, LODs, all of these things were not well optimized for memory usage in CE2. With some correct optimizations they could easily get the game to run within the console
limits. Again, the game was actually horribly optimized, and everyone at Crytek knows it. Everything from the assets to the post-process pipeline wasn't given much thought as they were purely PC at the time. The move to consoles really opened their eyes to it. And now CE3 runs as smooth as butter. :D

Though obviously draw distance and texture res might suffer a bit more, but honestly the original game's textures were crap too. Most of them are just 512x512 (some are even 256x256!) with some detail-bump mapping applied. Most people have sugar-coated their memory of Crysis' textures. They were never that good. :P

Trainee TraineeMember since: 02.07.2011, 05:10Posts: 127 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:30 
@Above cry person. - Sorry can't be bothered to fix the quote.
Then I ask you, why was Tessellation in Crysis 2 used so horribly? Look at some levels with water in Crysis 2 on DX11. You wanna talk about wasted resources? one little patch of water is calculated throughout the ENTIRE map. - that's wasted resources.

But still if the console version is such an innovation - why don't you guys release an upgrade for the PC? release an expansion for Crysis 1 using the CE3 engine via Digital download. I mean really, it would benefit you guys with the money. CE3 is easy as hell to port stuff from system to system. So just invest a bit more money and add PC support. If the CE3 version is so much better. Then you guys would be getting MORE money.

Ah well I own both consoles so it's not like I can't play the new version. I would love a remastered version of Crysis 1 if the improvements are "that much."
User avatar   THE Shader Guy THE Shader GuyMember since: 11.09.2008, 21:08Posts: 3048Location: Frankfurt Likes: 47

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:43 
Because someone was trigger happy with it :S. Even Tiago is face-palming over the implementation of tessellation.

Is that your only argument? xD Unless you know more about the engine than the actual R&D team, I'd like to see you disprove my statements. lol

I know people want a CE3 version of C1 on PC, I know I do, but I don't see the need. We have a mod SDK, we have a skilled community. If we had the GO to port it to the CE3 SDK, then I'm sure we can do that as well.

I don't know why it matters so much to anyone that C1 looks better on PC than it does on consoles. This whole console nonsense is borderline racism, and to be quite honest it's fairly ignorant. Just enjoy the damn game peeps, stop busting other peoples nuts over their preferred platform. If you want the new stuff, pick up the console copy. Don't like the controls? Then don't get it. You can't always have things the way you want them, so pick whichever one you want more and stick with it. Otherwise you'll soon find yourself at a dead end in more than just your game decisions. :P

Note: If you don't have that particular console, then that's just an inconvenience you'll have to deal with. :(

Last edited by Cry-Styves on 10.09.2011, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:50 
Quote by Cry-Styves:
Because someone was trigger happy with it :S. Even Tiago is face-palming over the implementation of tessellation.

Is that your only argument? xD Unless you know more about the engine than the actual R&D team, I'd like to see you disprove my statements. lol

I don't know why it matters so much to anyone that C1 looks better on PC than it does on consoles. It sounds almost like they're jealous that the console version uses CE3 and are just upset that the PC community doesn't get a CE3 remake. :P Don't forget we have an SDK. :P

Edit: Seeeee, above post proves my point. I know a lot of people want a CE3 version of C1 too. But again: we have an SDK, let the community handle it. That way the conversion goes exactly the way the community wants it. :)

This whole console nonsense is borderline racism, and to be quite honest it's pretty ignorant. Who cares which platform you get the game on and what feature changes it has, just enjoy the damn game! If you want the new stuff, pick up the console copy. Don't like the controls? Then don't get it. You can't always have things the way you want them, so pick whichever one you want more and stick with it. Otherwise you'll soon find yourself at a dead end in more than just your game decisions. :P

No no, I'm not disproving your statements. I'm merely saying DX11 was horribly, horribly implemented. one of the most highly tessellated objects in the upgrade was a bloody barrier. that is used hundreds of times throughout the game. It's as common as the guns you hold themselves.

Speaking of which since this has never been answered on mycrysis, etc and there's a good number of Cry presence here; do you guys ever plan on updating Crysis 2 past v1.9? Likewise do you plan on fixing the DX11 patch mess ups? Sorry to say but Crysis 2 needs another two or more patches before you guys drop support on it.

BTW sorry for the off topic but literally no Cry guy has ever bothered to reply to these questions on mycrysis. So I'm gonna abuse this opportunity.

EDIT: In all honesty dude, it's because us PC folks don't have many games we can calls "ours." We are continuously getting the shaft on 90% of the games that are released to market. Crysis 1 and to a lesser extent Crysis 2, was our "ace in the hole" for any argument. Now you guys are trying to take that away from us. We are continuously dumped on and treated like the red headed step child of the gaming industry, and this is just one more of those things that we cannot use as a full proof way to say "we do stand out from the rest."

Last edited by xPreatorianx1 on 10.09.2011, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:54 
Sorry, can't say. Partially because well.. I can't.. and partially because I actually don't know. I've been focusing more on my own work than that of others. >.>

The tessellation was a mess, I'm sure everyone agrees on that. Also IIRC it doesn't support smoothing, which is why most of the tessellated objects never really "looked" tessellated aside from displacement mapping. :B

Nobody's losing anything. I think the problem is many PC gamers take things for granted. Look at the crap that went down when there were no mod tools for C2. We're given the world and expect the universe. As far as I'm concerned, any arguments you're trying to win are pointless. It's all system wars, and it's completely useless.

It seems rather silly to go to the extent of saying your treated so poorly. What do we do to you? We don't beat you or anything horrible like that. We don't overcharge you for games (on average PC gamers are usually cheaper). We give you an independent SDK and Crysis 2 Mod SDK (which alone are probably worth a crapload). And in return we get "**** you Crytek, y u no give us (input name of something here)". If it's not one thing then it's another. Like spoiled children, nothing is ever enough.

Also "standing out from the rest" as a PC gamer is easy. We've got awesome controls, wicked systems and powerhouse displays and GPUs. Regardless of exclusivity we still get some pretty wicked stuff. Everyone knows that the console version of a game will look worse than it's PC counterpart, particularly if the game was developed on PC first. But console gamers don't really care, they just like playing games. :D

Anyway I'm out lol, sleep is needed and I get incoherent and rambly (and say random things that I might not otherwise say) when I'm tired. Kinda like a drunk. XD

Last edited by Cry-Styves on 10.09.2011, 03:07, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 02:57 
Quote by Cry-Styves:
Sorry, can't say. Partially because well.. I can't.. and partially because I actually don't know. I've been focusing more on my own work than that of others. >.>

The tessellation was a mess, I'm sure everyone agrees on that. Also IIRC it doesn't support smoothing, which is why most of the tessellated objects never really "looked" tessellated aside from displacement mapping. :B

Edit: Can you update your quote? :B

Update my quote with what? sorry lol.

Also well can you get one of your "in the know" buddies to make a public statement? V1.9 has been out for quite awhile and the community now feels that you have abandoned the game. Crysis 2 at least on the cheating, glitching, and even regular bugs, is far from stable. We need another patch desperately.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 03:25 
Quote by xPreatorianx1:
Quote by Cry-Styves:

Edit: Can you update your quote? :B

Update my quote with what? sorry lol.

Also well can you get one of your "in the know" buddies to make a public statement? V1.9 has been out for quite awhile and the community now feels that you have abandoned the game. Crysis 2 at least on the cheating, glitching, and even regular bugs, is far from stable. We need another patch desperately.

Probably because they have abandoned us. I remember reading an article where Crytek stated that 1.9 was the last patch for Crysis 2 on the PC side.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.01.2011, 19:22Posts: 34 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 03:32 
Quote by Cry-Styves:
It seems rather silly to go to the extent of saying your treated so poorly. What do we do to you? We don't beat you or anything horrible like that. We don't overcharge you for games (on average PC gamers are usually cheaper). We give you an independent SDK and Crysis 2 Mod SDK (which alone are probably worth a crapload). And in return we get "**** you Crytek, y u no give us (input name of something here)". If it's not one thing then it's another. Like spoiled children, nothing is ever enough.

I for my part and many others are very grateful for the Mod SDK and especially for the Free CE3 SDK. Crytek rocks.
I also love that you decided to finally release Crysis 1 for consoles. That is ace, especially since Crytek previously stated it was kind of impossible to do so (which was of cause PR talk, almost anything is possible, apart from the graphics side).
I hope you will also release Crysis Wars on consoles. Mod support on PS3 would be very cool as well (like in Unreal Tournament III). Regardless I am very grateful.
And to all the people furious that the PC lost another exclusive: You should feel delighted that another audience can finally experience the greatness that is Crysis 1. As sad as it is, but in today's gaming industry there isn't much room for exclusives anymore. Games have become too expensive. We have to learn to accept the facts.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 03:42 
Quote by xureus:
Quote by Cry-Styves:

I for my part and many others are very grateful for the Mod SDK and especially for the Free CE3 SDK. Crytek rocks.
I also love that you decided to finally release Crysis 1 for consoles. That is ace, especially since Crytek previously stated it was kind of impossible to do so (which was of cause PR talk, almost anything is possible, apart from the graphics side).
I hope you will also release Crysis Wars on consoles. Mod support on PS3 would be very cool as well (like in Unreal Tournament III). Regardless I am very grateful.
And to all the people furious that the PC lost another exclusive: You should feel delighted that another audience can finally experience the greatness that is Crysis 1. As sad as it is, but in today's gaming industry there isn't much room for exclusives anymore. Games have become too expensive. We have to learn to accept the facts.

There are still tons of platform exclusive games. Most of which make a lot of money.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.01.2011, 19:22Posts: 34 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 04:50 
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by xureus:
Quote by Cry-Styves:
[...]

There are still tons of platform exclusive games. Most of which make a lot of money.

They are getting less and less though.
Just a few of the game series that have turned multiplatform in one form or another in the last years:
Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation to XBox)
Final Fantasy (PlayStation to XBox)
Grand Theft Auto (PlayStation to XBox)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (PC to consoles)
Command & Conquer (PC to consoles)
Counter-Strike (PC to consoles)
Half Life (PC to consoles)
Max Payne (PC to consoles)

Bungie and Insomniac Games will also develop for mulitle platforms in the future most likely.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 10.03.2008, 10:51Posts: 3474Location: earth (australia realy) human:no not realy Likes: 1

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 04:58 
it's funny because you're all like
"NO TEH GRAPHICS ARE ASS"
"NO THESE SLIGHT IMPROVMENTS (over hueg drawbacks that we dont really care to mention) MAKE IT LOOK JUST AS GOOD"

then imma all like...
cant port pc gameplay.

sure, you could make it look even better than crysis 1, but then it would be a prerendered movie, and the gameplay would be quick time events.
if it's realtime, you're going to have to put up with a contoller, that means wonky aiming, less buttons for crouch/prone/lean and the nanosuit menu.
it might look OK for a game from 2005, but it will play like a terrible console FPS. (crysis 2 for instance.)

lol :D
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 02.07.2011, 02:58Posts: 49 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 05:37 
Maybe you don't know this, Styves, but how do environment probes work when you have a changing time of day? Would you swap them out, or just use one cubemap that's suited to both situations?

I'm really impressed at how decent it looks, though - better than Crysis on my PC, at least.

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5483Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 163

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 05:39 
Quote by Cry-Ruan:

This.

Anyway, I'd love to see this come to PC as well. I'd hate to see the consoles best us, as this looks far better than the PC version we currently have.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 10.03.2008, 10:51Posts: 3474Location: earth (australia realy) human:no not realy Likes: 1

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 06:01 
Quote by RayFan9876:
Quote by Cry-Ruan:

This.

Anyway, I'd love to see this come to PC as well. I'd hate to see the consoles best us, as this looks far better than the PC version we currently have.

what video have you been watching?

from the comparison between console footage and max (no mods) PC footage, you can CLEARLY see it looks like crysis on low/med with a few effects and such on top.
to say it looks far better is quite daft :P
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 02.07.2011, 02:58Posts: 49 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.09.2011, 06:09 
Quote by metal-matt:
Quote by RayFan9876:
Quote by Cry-Ruan:

This.

what video have you been watching?

from the comparison between console footage and max (no mods) PC footage, you can CLEARLY see it looks like crysis on low/med with a few effects and such on top.
to say it looks far better is quite daft :P

Crysis on Very High is just low/med with a few effects on top :P

It's amazing how far they've come since 2009: