Inside and Outside the Box

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.12.2007, 12:38Posts: 1235Location: The Netherlands, Boxmeer Likes: 16

Post Topic: Re: Think Inside & Outside the Box: the_grim's entry
PostPosted 12.09.2011, 11:16 
The inside is very good and old worn. Very nice models.

1 tiny critic the outside is very lush, so lush that at a point the lush should have come inside. Perhaps some overgrown plants around the windows ?

Btw if you need help with making seameless textures. This proggy does that in 5 seconds:
http://www.allegorithmic.com/substances ... p2material

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

PostPosted 12.09.2011, 11:33 
Quote by Duruk:
1 tiny critic the outside is very lush, so lush that at a point the lush should have come inside. Perhaps some overgrown plants around the windows ?

I was thinking about that, but didn't find a way to use the existing vegetation believably on the inside - at least some dried leaves should have piled on the floor next to the windows though. Anyway, none of my reference images really had plants growing inside, even though the vegetation on the exterior was very similar. ;)
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 27.12.2007, 01:50Posts: 6478Location: Nottingham Likes: 4

PostPosted 12.09.2011, 14:14 
Very nice indeed grim! Seriously captured that eerie feel from that area!!
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 27.06.2011, 17:30Posts: 26Location: Austria Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.09.2011, 14:27 
Great work!
I would like to see a a screenshot close to the ground with some out of focus objects in the foreground.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

PostPosted 12.09.2011, 15:16 
Quote by mohMo:
Great work!
I would like to see a a screenshot close to the ground with some out of focus objects in the foreground.

A little less than three hours left before the deadline, and I'm not home until at least an hour from now - we'll see if I've make it in time to submit one more shot... :)
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.07.2011, 13:00Posts: 567Location: France Likes: 4

PostPosted 13.09.2011, 13:03 
Quote by the_grim:
Quote by pl4:
PS: You download texture or you take a picture.?

Downloaded most of them from CGTextures, then made them tiling in Photoshop and created normal and specular maps. :)

Thanks for comments!

Okey !!

thanx for answer !

Good job again !

Last edited by pl4 on 04.12.2011, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.03.2009, 19:43Posts: 1757Location: in da hood Likes: 24

PostPosted 13.09.2011, 13:08 
Wow grim, your work is absolutely my fav. Luv it :love:

"I gots to talk. I gotta tell what I feel."
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 21.10.2009, 19:52Posts: 545Location: Slovakia, EU Likes: 6

PostPosted 13.09.2011, 18:40 
very nice !
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.06.2008, 22:31Posts: 1813Location: Austria Likes: 5

PostPosted 16.09.2011, 20:33 
Great work grim, very atmospheric and detailed.
One of my favs definitely.

PostPosted 19.09.2011, 14:23 
Thanks for the competition! :) While "not enough time" is always a bad excuse, I'm not entirely happy with how my entry ended up, and I would've surely given more thought to the composition, materials and colours had I been able to work on it for more than one weekend. :P The ceiling especially was left rather unfinished and rough, and the floor material is too dark when I look at it now. Not to mention I barely had time to work on the lighting and the overall atmosphere - I didn't quite reach the quality of my references...

Nevertheless, I suspect that my rivals triumphed not because they had better colours in the ceiling and floor, but because of more interesting concepts to begin with... Maybe I should look into that sometime. :P A box is a box but the winning entries (and some of the others that surely would've deserved recognition) show that you can make it be something more than a rectangular room! :)

Anyway, in a way it was kind of fun doing a speed modeling challenge like this. My workflow for getting custom props in the engine efficiently is getting pretty solid - on rough estimate about 30 to 60 minutes per prop, from starting the modeling to adding the prop in-game. :) I learned a lot during the challenge as well! Now I know how to use the blend layer, and how to bake ambient occlusion to vertex colours - I ended up using that trick extensively in the furniture to bring some depth to the models (as they're all using tiling textures due to time constraints). I'm happy with what I've learned, and with the stuff that I did manage to get in-engine (although obviously they don't have LOD models or anything like that), but of course there's always room for improvement... :)

Thank you to the staff and all the participants, and see you next time! ;)