Thanks for the competition!
While "not enough time" is always a bad excuse, I'm not entirely happy with how my entry ended up, and I would've surely given more thought to the composition, materials and colours had I been able to work on it for more than one weekend.
The ceiling especially was left rather unfinished and rough, and the floor material is too dark when I look at it now. Not to mention I barely had time to work on the lighting and the overall atmosphere - I didn't quite reach the quality of my references...
Nevertheless, I suspect that my rivals triumphed not because they had better colours in the ceiling and floor, but because of more interesting concepts to begin with... Maybe I should look into that sometime.
A box is a box but the winning entries (and some of the others that surely would've deserved recognition) show that you can make it be something more than a rectangular room!
Anyway, in a way it was kind of fun doing a speed modeling challenge like this. My workflow for getting custom props in the engine efficiently is getting pretty solid - on rough estimate about 30 to 60 minutes per prop, from starting the modeling to adding the prop in-game.
I learned a lot during the challenge as well! Now I know how to use the blend layer, and how to bake ambient occlusion to vertex colours - I ended up using that trick extensively in the furniture to bring some depth to the models (as they're all using tiling textures due to time constraints). I'm happy with what I've learned, and with the stuff that I did manage to get in-engine (although obviously they don't have LOD models or anything like that), but of course there's always room for improvement...
Thank you to the staff and all the participants, and see you next time!