General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UKStatus: Online Likes: 89

Post Topic: CryENGINE / Crysis Asset Usage
PostPosted 05.09.2011, 18:17 
A fairly recurring question these days is whether SDK example assets can be used in your own projects. As such, we've put together a few pointers on what is and isn't allowed with regards to CRYENGINE, Crysis & FarCry and other Crytek games asset usage:

RULES FOR CRYENGINE IP USAGE
  • You are not allowed to import Crysis assets or any other Crytek game assets into the CRYENGINE EaaS or CryENGINE 3 Free SDK.
  • You are allowed to use the CRYENGINE EaaS / Free SDK sample assets in the Crysis, Crysis Wars and Crysis 2 Mod SDKs.
  • You are allowed to use Crysis assets within CryENGINE 2's Crysis and Crysis Wars SDKs as well as CryENGINE 3's Crysis 2 Mod SDK.

For the full list of legal terms & conditions, you can find the EULA for the CryENGINE 3 Free SDK right here and for CRYENGINE EaaS here.

If you have any questions regarding asset creation, please check out the relevant subforum in this CE3 section and I'm sure our community or a Crytek dev can help you out.

Personal Use
Please note that "personal use" of assets is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether you're using it for personal use, private use, public use, commercial use or any scenario, the EULA must be adhered to in all circumstances.

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

Post Topic: Re: Guidelines on example asset usage
PostPosted 05.09.2011, 19:43 
Quote by Cry-Ruan:
[list][*]For commercial projects, all assets must be original. You are not permitted to use SDK sample assets.

This is kind of a given, but what we really want to know is what extent of the included content is regarded "assets"? All textures - including detail maps, colour charts etc? All sounds - including physics collision sounds, foley sounds and ambient soundscapes? Script examples such as AI behaviours?

Once we get a clarification on this, it's possible to start planning which assets need to be produced - recreating the entire library of surface type particles & sounds is no small task... ;)
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UKStatus: Online Likes: 89

PostPosted 05.09.2011, 19:47 
I assume that content required for the engine (think textures for shaders) is ok.

I'll ask for further clarification on the rest tomorrow as they fall into a grey area.

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 13.04.2011, 09:05Posts: 177 Likes: 1

PostPosted 06.09.2011, 14:54 
Is there an update on this yet?

- Game Programmer - Image - Project Storm of Steel -
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11771Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 711

PostPosted 14.09.2011, 04:17 
Are we permitted to use Particle XML's but exchange the textures used with custom made ones ?

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 09.01.2007, 00:25Posts: 31Location: Australia, Victoria Likes: 0

PostPosted 15.09.2011, 08:49 
I was hoping we could still use the particle effects and the sounds.

Seems like a lot of work for an indie developer to do when what we need is right there. And we're still giving 20% of all revenue to Crytek :/
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11771Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 711

PostPosted 15.09.2011, 09:18 
Quote by Kastor:

Seems like a lot of work for an indie developer to do when what we need is right there. And we're still giving 20% of all revenue to Crytek :/

Well, we are paying for the engine itself, which takes lots of years to develop. Making your own sounds is easy and just fun :D ... Particle Effects are a bit more tricky but doable.

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 09.01.2007, 00:25Posts: 31Location: Australia, Victoria Likes: 0

PostPosted 15.09.2011, 09:43 
Quote by Lavizh:
Well, we are paying for the engine itself, which takes lots of years to develop. Making your own sounds is easy and just fun :D ... Particle Effects are a bit more tricky but doable.

Yes true, and I agree. I don't mind making my own sounds because I will have to do that at some point. But I'm not up for making my own particles at this point :cheesy:

i7 920 @ 3.3 | TRUE Black | GTX 260 OC SLi | 6GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | OCZ 700W | Auzentech Forte 7.1
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.09.2011, 11:54 
Quote by Kastor:

Yes but think of it like this, it takes more than twice that work to make those assets as well as a new engine of your own.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 11134Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 814

Post Topic: Re: CryENGINE / Crysis Asset Usage
PostPosted 06.10.2011, 14:28 
Updated the OP with some more information :)

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 06.10.2011, 15:05 
Quote by Cry-Adam:
Updated the OP with some more information :)

That is nice but where is the information about what are example assets and what are no example assets? Is it in the EULA maybe I didn't read that yet. I mean that information was promised 1 month ago...
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.04.2008, 19:40Posts: 2321Location: London, UK Likes: 1

PostPosted 07.10.2011, 13:16 
Quote by Cry-Ruan:
A fairly recurring question these days is whether SDK example assets can be used in your own projects. As such, we've put together a few pointers on what is and isn't allowed with regards to CryENGINE, Crysis & FarCry asset usage:

RULES FOR CRYENGINE IP USAGE
[list][*]You are not allowed to import Crysis assets into the FarCry Sandbox Editor or the CryENGINE 3 Free SDK.
[*]All FarCry assets belong to Ubisoft and as such may not be used within the Sandbox 2 or Sandbox 3 Editors.

I will correct you. For non-commercial use you can import and edit any asset you want, its not a crime, because its impossible even to make the statement of claim in court without a crime. Until we see that statement on MyCryENGINE web site or in official engine's FAQ, this is just the thread that you invented by yourself. And don't limit the modders\devs rights on ideas, it isn't fair.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 11134Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 814

PostPosted 07.10.2011, 14:29 
These points have been checked by our lawyers. As mentioned in the post, this is all in the EULA:
Quote:
LIMITED LICENSE AGREEMENT for the use of the CryEngine 3 Free SDK ("SOFTWARE")

1.2 Restrictions on Use: CRYTEK reserves all rights not expressively granted in this Agreement. Without limitation, Licensee shall not:

copy, replicate or mimic CRYTEK games (including without limitation “Crysis”, “Warface” and “Ryse”);

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.04.2008, 19:40Posts: 2321Location: London, UK Likes: 1

PostPosted 08.10.2011, 11:58 
Yes, right. But there's nothing about replicating UBISOFT games, or nothing about that UBISOFT owns Far Cry, and its has prohibited to port assets into CryENGINE. Nothing.

PostPosted 08.10.2011, 12:09 
You might hear from Ubisoft though :)