Latest Build Feedback

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 11134Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 814

Post Topic: Time of Day Editor
PostPosted 09.10.2011, 13:46 
Please provide any feedback/issues regarding the Time of Day Editor below. Steps to reproduce the issue are necessary in order to find and fix any issues.

Please keep chatter to a minimum in these threads so that it's easier for us to find important information. This first post will be kept up to date with any known issues. Any work-arounds will be posted here also.

Known Issues
  • NA

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 05.04.2010, 15:02Posts: 524Location: Australia Likes: 187

Post Topic: Re: Time of Day Editor
PostPosted 26.09.2014, 23:28 
The Sun custom color settings under the CloudShading section of the TOD editor don't work at all. This is absolutely crucial in making the clouds look good without having to change the sun color (which affects the whole level).

The Sky contribution setting doesn't work either and is also very important! These worked perfectly fine in 3.5 and below. Thanks.

Edit: Actually the Sun custom color settings do work, but only for DistanceClouds! It doesn't work at all for imposter and volumetric clouds.

Edit2: Ok, this is interesting! The Sun custom color settings do work for volumetric clouds (VolumeObject shader) only when the Use TOD Settings shader parameter is enabled.

The settings still don't work for normal imposter clouds (Common.Cloud shader) though! Imposter clouds don't have the option to use custom TOD settings in their shader params.

Again, both the Sun custom color and Sky contribution settings worked perfectly fine without having to enable Use TOD Settings in 3.5 and below and allowed one to easily achieve realistic looking clouds independent of TOD settings.Ignore this.

Last edited by GShot on 27.09.2014, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 11134Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 814

PostPosted 27.09.2014, 10:56 
TOD influence depends on the shader settings for the cloud materials, yep.

Sky color won't work, I believe that was an ambient method which was deprecated with PBR.

Quote:
Again, both the Sun custom color and Sky contribution settings worked perfectly fine without having to enable Use TOD Settings in 3.5 and below and allowed one to easily achieve realistic looking clouds independent of TOD settings.

Not sure if you're raising this as a complaint? Now, you have the option. You can either have it rely entirely on Material settings, or you can have it rely on Material and TOD settings. So you want less options like in 3.5?

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
Achievement Unlocked: Wear the Winter avatar all year.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 05.04.2010, 15:02Posts: 524Location: Australia Likes: 187

PostPosted 27.09.2014, 13:50 
Sorry I think I wasn't clear enough. The way this works in different versions with different cloud shaders is a little confusing :P. I thought that the Sun custom color settings worked without having to enable the Use TOD Settings parameter for Volumetric Clouds in 3.5 but I was wrong. That's what caused the confusion. I should have double checked that one. My bad! Sun custom color settings do work but only for DistanceClouds and also for Volumetric Clouds (VolumeObject shader) when the Use TOD Settings parameter is enabled.

However, the Sun custom color settings still don't work for Imposter Clouds (Common.Cloud shader) because that Common.Cloud shader doesn't have the Use TOD Settings parameter.

This doesn't really matter (should still be logged as a known issue though since I believe it would be a trivial task but no one's probably reported it until this day) since I don't have any trouble achieving good looking Imposter Clouds apart from the Diffuse Color material param not working. Without the Diffuse Color, the clouds look like rain clouds no matter what you do because they're shading always has a black tint to it since the Diffuse Color doesn't work (presumably set to pitch black)! It would be amazing if this was fixed :)

At the moment, I'm pretty sure that the main problem with clouds in general in CRYENGINE is that the Diffuse Color parameter does not have any effect and seems to be set to pitch black by default. This is exactly why in 3.6 the Sky contribution parameter under the CloudShading section of the TOD Editor doesn't work as well! I just tested this in 3.5. Set the Diffuse Color of the cloud material to 0,0,0 and the Sky contribution no longer has any effect, just like in 3.6! Which obviously makes sense.

The Diffuse Color is EXTREMELY important in getting a good looking cloud. I've posted this in the Material Editor thread so really hope it gets fixed. Thanks :)