View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.10.2011, 17:34Posts: 396 Likes: 27

Post Topic: HD FX/Particle Mod [AlphaR1 release] Revision 1!
PostPosted 13.10.2011, 01:08 
This is the first mod I've ever released. My goal with this mod is to 'spectacularize' as many particle effects as possible, increase realism, and maintain good performance while doing so.

Project Page!

Mod version in video above: Pre-Beta
Video Made by: Sequoia

Mod version in video: Pre 1.1 Beta 1
Video Made by: iSqueezee

Mod version in video: Pre 1.1 Beta 2

Mod version in video: Pre 1.1 Beta 3

DOWNLOADS:
1.0-OLD/PRE-REBOOT - EXE Installer
Alpha - .zip Compressed File
AlphaR1 - .zip Compressed File

How to use mod with another mod: Example: Blackfire2
-Install mod using installer(EXE).
-Navigate to '\Crysis2\Mods\HD-Particles(or something alike)\gamecrysis2\'.
-Copy the '.pak' file.
-Navigate to '\Crysis2\Mods\blackfire2\gamecrysis2\'.
-Paste the 'pak' file here.
-Done, have fun!

How to install from .zip:
-Extract the 'ParticleMod' folder to '\crysis 2\Mods\'
--IF there is 'info.xml' at the top level of the .zip, extract all contents in the .zip to a folder, and name it 'ParticleMod'. Move 'ParticleMod' to '\crysis 2\Mods\'
-Have fun... Or die trying.

Credits:
Sequoia-Mod Producer
www.denieuweveste.com
Lupus-Human Gibbing Component
iSqueezee-Video/Image Production

Last edited by Sequoia on 09.09.2014, 19:01, edited 26 times in total.

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.01.2010, 01:17Posts: 1146 Likes: 29

Post Topic: Re: HD Particle Mod
PostPosted 13.10.2011, 01:21 
This is for Crysis 2 right? Just going by the aliens. :)
Sounds good, I like a lot of the default particles, but some do look a bit off, like the big smoke effects.

For distributing it, a pak with the mod folder, should be the best way. :)
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.10.2011, 17:34Posts: 396 Likes: 27

PostPosted 13.10.2011, 01:36 
Yes this is for Crysis 2. I'm hoping people will use/distribute my particles in their mods, as I'm improving many particles not specific to Crysis 2.

I will go over all the large smoke effects soon, thanks for that input.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.06.2008, 22:11Posts: 4307Location: Oulu, Finland Likes: 7

PostPosted 13.10.2011, 07:59 
Quote by Sequoia:
Could anyone tell me the best way to distribute this mod? Installer? PAK File?

I'd prefer PAK-file, but you can do both ;)

Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry
Assets · Blender: Destroyable object tutorial for CryBlend

- currently lost in New Eden -
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.05.2011, 17:12Posts: 1213Location: Belgrade Likes: 6

PostPosted 13.10.2011, 09:27 
Great! This is what we need!

PostPosted 24.10.2011, 01:07 
I have some questions:

1: What is the best way to take a video while playing in the editor?

2: Should I release a beta? I'm asking because earlier in particle work before I decided to actually make a mod I messed a lot with the materials. Seeing how the mod works without my modified materials would help a lot. I suppose I could get a pirated copy of Crysis 2 to experiment, but I'd rather let you guys try the mod and give input.

3: Which is prefered? Realism or Hollywood? Both?
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 02:08Posts: 252 Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.10.2011, 04:44 
Considering this is Crydev, I'd say everybody wants realism. And photorealism at that.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 24.10.2011, 05:46 
Quote by Sequoia:
I have some questions:

1: What is the best way to take a video while playing in the editor?

2: Should I release a beta? I'm asking because earlier in particle work before I decided to actually make a mod I messed a lot with the materials. Seeing how the mod works without my modified materials would help a lot. I suppose I could get a pirated copy of Crysis 2 to experiment, but I'd rather let you guys try the mod and give input.

3: Which is prefered? Realism or Hollywood? Both?

1- i tried the defautl sb3 recorder and its not too bad, but i'am sure somes know a better recoder.

2- a mod is just files with the sames structure as the .pak, but the game will uses thoses files first, instead of the ones in the default c2 pak. And changing default c2 setting will never affect the default .pak .
And a mod just put your modfied / personal files in a separate folder, if you dont use a mod you will just have your files in the default gamecrysis2 folder.

As exemple, if in the sb3 you edit a C2 particle effect, and save it, that will not change the .pak itself, that's just create a folder libs/particle/modifiedparticle.xml.

So if you want to cancel your change, you just have to delete the folder or the created .xml.

You dont need to use another C2 version to make test, and if you really needed a special C2 to make test, why dont just make a copy of your actual C2 folder !?

3- its a personal opinion, but yes i prefer "realist" i mean not too excessive at least.

PostPosted 24.10.2011, 18:41 
I tried the sb3 video recorder and it simply didn't work. I don't know if there is anything special you have to do with it, I just tried to record and it didn't work.

Quote by wootwoots:
2- a mod is just files with the sames structure as the .pak, but the game will uses thoses files first, instead of the ones in the default c2 pak. And changing default c2 setting will never affect the default .pak .
And a mod just put your modfied / personal files in a separate folder, if you dont use a mod you will just have your files in the default gamecrysis2 folder.

As exemple, if in the sb3 you edit a C2 particle effect, and save it, that will not change the .pak itself, that's just create a folder libs/particle/modifiedparticle.xml.

So if you want to cancel your change, you just have to delete the folder or the created .xml.

You dont need to use another C2 version to make test, and if you really needed a special C2 to make test, why dont just make a copy of your actual C2 folder !?

3- its a personal opinion, but yes i prefer "realist" i mean not too excessive at least.

Thanks for this, I have never been sure how it all worked. :D Still though I think releasing a Beta would give me lots of good input, so unless I get "no, I don't want a Beta", I plan on releasing one soon. :p

I am aiming for realism, but I'm also adding the hollywood touch with brutal blood, lots of spectacular sparks, stuff like that. :cheesy:
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 24.10.2011, 21:47 
np ;) And yes, its a very smart configuration make the SandBox create a folder with the modifier file instead of changing de default .pak ^^

well you can still make a release aviable when you think its good enough for now and keep update it, its finaly what you prefer.

In anycase nowdays even a professional studio never really finish their own game. so.. ^^ just look at C2.

PostPosted 25.10.2011, 16:25 
I may be able to release next weekend! No beta.
I've got a lot more done then I thought. I'm going to play through the game, and TRY to get a video up.

Also, there is no shotgun impact for concrete. This hurts performance a bit, as it draw a bullet impact instead of a pellet impact for each pellet. I made a particle for the shotgun impact, but how do I get the game to use it? Also, what file(s) will I need to ship with the mod so this works for other people?
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 06.08.2011, 20:59Posts: 43 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: HD Particle Mod(Nearing Release)
PostPosted 28.10.2011, 12:21 

Last edited by Perox on 09.06.2014, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted 29.10.2011, 09:57 
Guys, I've tried, I've tried really hard to make a video! The in-editor recorder just "doesn't work" and camstudio just "doesn't work". It's been about an hour and I have nothing.

I will try hard to get some nice pictures up.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.05.2011, 17:12Posts: 1213Location: Belgrade Likes: 6

PostPosted 29.10.2011, 10:10 
Quote by Sequoia:
Guys, I've tried, I've tried really hard to make a video! The in-editor recorder just "doesn't work" and camstudio just "doesn't work". It's been about an hour and I have nothing.

I will try hard to get some nice pictures up.

Why you do not use fraps, it is easy!?

PostPosted 29.10.2011, 10:41 
I actually made a little progress now but it isn't very good. :P

Why don't I use fraps? That's a good question. I'm gonna go get it. XD