View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 04:36Posts: 28 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Flyable aircraft
PostPosted 09.01.2012, 02:29 
Quote by cwright:
Hi Tony,
That's interesting about interaction with the waves. I'll also take a look at that. If there is a method to achieve interaction then I'd definitely want to add it.
Chris

Hi Chris

I had a look at the way the CE3 vehicle system implements the boat in CVehicleMovementStdBoat.h/.cpp and it seems complicated 8->. Both the update and the movement methods have wave specific code for adjusting the effect on the vehicle (the update function does this in a transformation matrix but there is a debug code that has the details.)

TT

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.08.2004, 12:38Posts: 2224Status: Online Likes: 51

PostPosted 09.01.2012, 13:33 
Hi Jon,
Hope you can find some time to try it! Some of the maps are similar to the old release, the most significant new stuff is combat with the Heinkels and Messerschmitts, and the cargo parachute drops.
In a few days I'll release an update that fixes some problems (e.g. not all effects loaded in some maps), improves some features (an important fix for the ground lighting system) and adds some new maps. There will also be an update specifically for CE3.
I took a look at KSB and it looks interesting. It uses the Unity game engine. Maybe I'll try the demo....
Sorry to hear about Aviodrome. Interested to hear you also have a spacecraft museum! I'll add a few thoughts on what I plan to do below.
All the best,
Chris
@traversa
Hi Tony,
I took a look at the waves in CE2 and of course the boats are synchronised with the waves. The most noticeable effect is that the boat moves up and down as the waves move past and they are clearly synchronised. If we can find a method that can be used in Lua, that would be great!
Here are some initial thoughts on what I plan to do with planets/spacecraft:
Planets are built from multiple sections, in the same way my solid terrain is built from sections. A planet several hundred kilometers across should be possible.
Planets are dynamically scaled according to player position, to make planets - and space - seem to be much larger than they are. For example, suppose Earth and the moon are similar sizes and placed fairly close together in Sandbox. In game, when the player is near the Earth, the moon is scaled down - and possibly moved - so it looks right. If the player then moves toward the moon, the moon is scaled up, while the Earth is scaled down, according to the player position.
One interesting possibility is that, due to dynamic scaling and moving of planets etc, the player can stay quite close to the Sandbox origin, at least when in space. This would effectively solve one of the *big* game engine problems, namely cockpit vibration.
Two possibilities: the solar system is a single entity that includes all planets and moons, and each object is a slot object that can be moved, rotated and scaled as required. Alternatively, each planet or moon is a separate entity. The second possibility may be ruled out by a game engine bug that bites hard when entities are scaled.
The player can naturally walk all the way around a planet - if he has enough patience! I've already tested this with a small test planet, though there's a bug that bites if you get too close to the pole.
The player can walk to and enter a spacecraft, taxi, take off and fly as a conventional aircraft. It can then be boosted into orbit or beyond.
The spacecraft can link up with a space station and the player can enter it. The player can naturally move in zero gravity, and walk - or float - inside the space station interior.
Finally the player can enter a spacecraft and blast off to any other solar system destination such as Mars or Saturn. All atmospheric and ground functions will work the same as on Earth.
The key feature required to maintain the illusion of a vast solar system is dynamic scaling and position control. From experience I know that this works well for objects placed in an entity slot, so it's very likely that the solar system will be a single entity, with planets and moons implemented as slot objects. Probably the biggest challenge will be to maintain object solidity for large segmented objects that are being scaled, rotated and moved.
Unfortunately CE3 has two limits that may make this impossible (the limits do not exist in CE2): objects lose solidity if they are beyond the standard terrain area or if placed higher than 2048 meters. I simply don't know how Crytek allowed this to happen. These limits should be removed with some urgency.
I'll probably start work on this in February. Meanwhile, I have several jobs to do in the next few days:
1. Release the aircraft and CE3 updates.
2. Releasy my Skybox utility.
3. Release Automap, primarily for the solid terrain creation tool.
Elsewhere people have expressed an interest in these tools. No rest for the wicked, as they say!
Some thoughts on the future of Aircraft Factory:
AF is a powerful tool and seems to work pretty well. However, I've added lots of new stuff and some of the code is a bit messy. To clean it up and add the full functionality would be a big job.
I have therefore decided to re-write the whole thing virtually from scratch and name it Vehicle Factory. As well as having a cleaner structure it would also create more efficient code (currently AF adds some code even if that feature is disabled). I will work on VF part-time, so other projects will still progress. Of course, Vehicle Factory is a more accurate name as it already supports aircraft, trains, ships and submarines - and in the future will support spacecraft and wheeled vehicles. VF might be complete some time in the summer. I might also make some changes to the user interface to make it more user-friendly.
Just a general comment: for anyone who has tried the recent aircraft release, I would appreciate any comments to let me know whether it basically works, or if there are serious problems and whether you liked it and what improvements etc. etc. Without feedback I'm working in a vacuum. When I know it's working I'll probably upload a version to the Crydev library. I would also make a separate thread to announce the release. Most people are probably completely unaware of the release as it's buried in a very old thread, and Crydev seem to ignore everything I've done for the last few years.
All the best,
Chris
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:19Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.01.2012, 20:16 
Quote by cwright:
Hi silentgray,
Yes, the AutoMap download is currently unavailable.
I'll try to get the latest version, with the terrain creation tool, released in a few days.
Best regards,
Chris

hi,cwright:
Automap....Upload the old version plz,plz~I'd likt to test this great tool!
can‘t wait...haha
:)
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.08.2004, 12:38Posts: 2224Status: Online Likes: 51

PostPosted 13.01.2012, 12:50 
Hi silentgray,
Won't be long. I just need to finish updating the manual. It should be ready for release in just a few more days....
Regards,
Chris
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.07.2011, 12:22Posts: 549Location: Hong Kong, and sometimes mainland China Likes: 2

PostPosted 13.01.2012, 15:25 
Chris - I'm really enjoying your output... just to say thank you! David :easter:

PostPosted 15.01.2012, 14:15 
Quote by WhiteNorthStar:
Chris - I'm really enjoying your output... just to say thank you! David :easter:

Thanks!
Chris
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.04.2011, 13:11Posts: 58Location: The Netherlands Likes: 2

PostPosted 15.01.2012, 16:54 
Hi Chris,

I finally had some time to play around with the ships and aircraft without being interrupted by work and stuff.
I must admit that it is working great! I love the airfield bombing map.

I thought I found a bug with steering the aircraft with the mouse, but after I had reread the manual I saw it wasn't a bug. I though moving the mouse forward was pushing the nose of the craft downwards, but you need to use the keyboard for that. After all it makes sense, the manual is very detailed, thank you for that. :)
Now it's time to fly the Connie again, my crew is waiting. :P

All the best,
Jon

PostPosted 16.01.2012, 13:10 
Hi Jon,
Great to hear it's working!
I'm not sure about your comment about mouse control, though. When flying with mouse control, if you push the mouse forward the nose will go down. Flight control is achieved either with the mouse or keyboard depending on the mode you select. Or were you referring to steering the aircraft when taxiing?
You can easily check mouse flight control in the Connie: press F1 for mouse flight control and move the mouse while watching the control columns. You should be able to move the columns in both directions by moving the mouse. Note: you can adjust the sensitivities by pressing [ and following the prompts.
Anyway, it sounds like there aren't any major problems! By the way, there's a small change with the Connie. When you're using mouse flight control, the rudders work. Use the left and right arrow keys to operate the rudder. In external mode you'll see the rudders rotate and the aircraft will turn.
In the near future I'l have an update. It will fix a few minor issues, add some new features (including a new method for clickable panel controls in the Connie - didn't work in the release) and add some new maps. For example, for the train enthusiasts, one map will let you try out the rail track editor, and another the waypoints editor. Though I say it myself, the editor is quite neat!
By the way, when you're running any of the maps, there's a neat trick you can try: simply press key J and you will randomly Jump into another aircraft. This lets you watch the action from lots of different perspectives. When you jump into a Heinkel, Press F2 (to ensure you have mouse panning) and then RIGHT-SHIFT to enter the top gun position. See how many Spitfires you can shoot down!
A new aircraft is on the assembly line....
Anyone who watched Ice Pilots will recognise it!
All the best,
Chris

PS: I just released my Skybox utility. Crydev moved it to Misc, where hardly anyone will see it.
viewtopic.php?f=311&t=82111
Attachments:

CL2.jpg
CL1.jpg
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.04.2011, 13:11Posts: 58Location: The Netherlands Likes: 2

PostPosted 16.01.2012, 21:10 
Hi Chris,

Yes sorry. I was referring to the taxing. I forgot to mention that.

I played with the Heinkel map and jumped through aircrafts. It's so fun to play with.
I think I'll recommend some people on the KSP forums to try this. I think they will love it. :D

I'm looking forward on more updates and I'll let you know if I encounter any bugs/glitches.

All the best,
Jon

Edit: There's a bug with the mouse control. I can push the nose upwards without problem. I can push it downwards without problems. But after pushing it downwards it doesn't want to go up any more. Result = boom! :mad: :P

PostPosted 17.01.2012, 12:56 
Hi Jon,
Great stuff!
If you're taxiing, particularly at high speed, the nose might go up and down when you move the mouse, due to normal aerodynamic forces.
Losing up/down control: does this happen on all aircraft? Does it happen if you enter a non-AI aircraft and take off as normal?
Did you enter the aircraft by pressing J? If so, the aircraft was probably in AI mode. If so, flight control might work in unexpected ways.
If you're in an AI aircraft you can disable AI by pressing ; You should then be able to fly the aircraft normally. Press ; again to return to AI control.
Normally mouse flight control works fine and I wouldn't expect any problems, so there might have been an unusual condition. If the problem persists, try to give as much detail as possible and I'll look into it.
Anyway, have fun!
Best regards,
Chris

EDIT: I just tested the map. If I jump into an AI aircraft there's no mouse flight control at all, which makes sense. But a thought just occurred. You might have jumped into an aircraft that immediately got shot down! You would then lose mouse flight control and you would definitely crash.
If you're shot down and you're going to crash, you can always Jump into another aircraft!
Or press O (the letter O) to bail out and O again to open your parachute.
Ooooops - if you Jump into an aircraft, you can bail out (key O) but the parachute doesn't work. To be fixed for the update....
Chris
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:19Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.01.2012, 23:05 
hi,cwright:
when I driving the "spitfire",roll it about 90-120 degree, the ocean surface will disappear/trim by the other surface about 1-2 second.

I don't know how to fix it,
so I create another camera,
change the layout view side by side,
rotate it along Y axis slowly(90 -100 degree )
and it happens again.
both of CE2 and CE3 are the same.maybe it is a engine rendering problem..
wireframe mode

PostPosted 19.01.2012, 12:39 
Hi silentgray,
Yes, CE has always had this problem. The ocean shader has these artifacts when viewed with a large roll angle. It would be nice if anyone knows how to fix the ocean shader or maybe make a new one. But, failing that, it would have to be fixed by Crytek.
Chris
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5067 Likes: 217

PostPosted 19.01.2012, 14:04 
I think it's caused by ocean geometry.
Ocean geometry is only vertical lines except close range in CE2 & CE3. It makes bug.
We can see weird vertical lines on ocean shader, and ocean looks buggy if we see it from distance.

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0

PostPosted 25.01.2012, 23:37 
Hi Chris,

I'm now using the keyboard to steer and I haven't tried the mouse any more.
I'll try it asap to check if it was my fault or something else.

Today I was readin along the ksp forums and found something that reaminded me to your awesome project...
Someone has made a rocket that... well isn't a rocket but a Aircraft Carrier and a aircraft in one.
Maybe you find it funny too. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/ind ... pic=6430.0

So at the moment I'm cruising around with your aircraft carrier, it's very funny to to do.
I can't wait on your next project with space crafts. :D

All the best,
Jon

PostPosted 28.01.2012, 12:45 
Hi Jon,
Mouse flight control should definitely work. There may have been a problem so that some aircraft had very low sensitivity settings - that'll be fixed in the update. To reset the control settings, press [ for in-flight options and follow the prompts. Select aileron or elevator and roll the mouse wheel to adjust the value until you get good mouse flight control. As prompted, press F9 to save the settings. Let me know how it goes - if there really is a problem I'd like to know!
There'll be some new demo maps in the update - one new feature can make the maps more interesting, for example in one map, when you press CTRL-G you're immediately placed by the runway with a Heinkel about to unload its bombs on top of you! Another map immediately places you in the Heinkel gun turret.
That video is fun - should be easy to duplicate it! The system will include multi stage vehicles, e.g. Saturn booster, Shuttle riding on a 747 etc.
I've started building a solar system, see screenshots (not to scale). All planets and moons are moving and rotating. The next step is to dynamically scale sizes and distances so it seems that the map is around a million times bigger!
All the best,
Chris
Attachments:

ScreenShot0196.jpg
ScreenShot0184.jpg
ScreenShot0181.jpg