View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

Post Topic: 3DS max vs MAYA....Whats is the difference?
PostPosted 31.12.2011, 01:30 
I want to know that....both programs are for 3d modeling and both belong to the same enterprise....So, i want to know the practic difference

Which is better for Crysis wars mod , no CE3.?

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.02.2010, 20:16Posts: 218 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: 3DS max vs MAYA....Whats is the difference?
PostPosted 21.01.2012, 18:49 
I've been wondering the same thing... from what I know Maya seems to be focused on the animating and rendering areas more, while 3DS Max appears to be on the modeling side. I believe all the CryEngine SDKs and such have plugins for 3DS Max but I see a lot of people using Maya. Most of the plugins for textures are usually for Photoshop. I'd make the conclusion that 3DS Max is better(or at least better supported)...though many people are definitely going to disagree...
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9864Location: Finland Likes: 174

PostPosted 21.01.2012, 19:08 
Autodesk bought Maya (formerly developed by Alias) some years ago, that's why they're developing two very similar software products. It's a handy way of getting rid of the competition on the market. :)
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 22.01.2012, 02:26 
hmm...Acording to the http://www.iddevnet.comthe Doom 3 sdk only acept MAYA eskeletal animations (maya binary), not 3DSMAX...Well there are custom importers...

Thats why I want to know...because a proyect i have...
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 12.12.2008, 19:15Posts: 119Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Likes: 8

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 09:46 
The-Grim is correct on his statement concerning Autodesk, they are trying to corner the CG market. They have stated that both 3d packages are excellent tools for, film, and game, assets creation /animation, etc, but, they are gearing both packages for specific markets.
Maya for film, Max for gaming.
This may change soon migrating Maya more towards the game industry in the future, but at this time this is Autodesk's stand on both packages.

Cheers

VinnieMc
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.07.2011, 12:22Posts: 549Location: Hong Kong, and sometimes mainland China Likes: 2

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 10:26 
When it comes to DCC (Digital Content Creation) packages, in terms of a 'standard' NextGen pipeline, at the moment 3ds Max + ZBrush + Photoshop are considered to be the usual game industry tools.

The advantages of staying with these products are that they are well-supported, by game engines (say Crytek or Unreal), by plugin developers (like Flatiron), with plenty of advice on the forums, tons of tutorials available (free or paid, like Digital Tutors), also for employment... like moving between studios.

However, lots of people use (and are successful with) Maya, Blender, Mudbox, Gimp etc. etc. Studios differ as to which DCC products they use. I think it helps to go the 'standard' route, but if you can output great models and textures with any DCC package, and somehow get them into CE3, you'll do very well.

:easter:

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9864Location: Finland Likes: 174

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 10:39 
When it comes to Cryengine, I'd say the 3ds Max workflow is more streamlined than the Maya one. I haven't exactly used Maya so can't say how easy or difficult it is to export models in the engine, but judging by the documentation there's a difference. Max exporter is simply "add object to list & click export" while Maya requires you to add objects to a group named specifically by the object name you're exporting, and that group needs to be inside another group with a special name for the cryexportnode. Materials need to be in special material groups as well, and physicalization properties need to be edited using Maya's attribute editor.

As I said I haven't used Maya so I can't tell if this is a common workflow when working with Maya objects, but by the description it sounds very odd and complicated. :)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 118

PostPosted 18.03.2012, 21:53 
I have to use both a lot because of school, there are a few significant differences that are worth looking at. Mostly Maya is good at animation and rigging. I wouldn't say rendering, since its the same between the two. they both use Mental Ray.

3dsmax has superior modeling and texturing tools at this time. However, this might separate itself at the next cycle. aka 2013 software.

Maya is more streamlined than Max, its interface is less complex. However this causes issues with usability, once you get good it impedes your speed. And this is essential to being successful in the game industry. Only way to fix that is the custom menu's you can create and share. Of course its easy enough to do that in both packages.

If your an animator, Maya is a good software. If your Anything else, Max is faster once you get the hang of the interface. ;)

This is of course just my experience, im sure there are others who have had the opposite. For whatever reasons.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.04.2008, 00:04Posts: 360 Likes: 13

PostPosted 18.03.2012, 23:22 
I've used both (went to school for Maya) and I prefer max for game content. My opinion of the two is basically exactly as themodman101 stated above.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.11.2007, 18:21Posts: 1295 Likes: 74

PostPosted 19.03.2012, 01:43 
They can both do the same, but the UIs are geared towards different functions. Maya's very friendly for animators while Max is geared towards modeling.

Autodesk has also been focusing on 3ds Max when it comes to content creation in terms of tools and making sure they work as intended. Going using Maya, I find that even the most simple tools (bridge, etc.) often dont work.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.10.2012, 02:32Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.02.2013, 11:44 
Cryengine has only support for Max , as Max has much to offer than Maya. I know very little about Maya and I am using Max to make the 3d car models. So, according to me Max is perfect.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.10.2011, 13:27Posts: 51 Likes: 0

PostPosted 02.02.2013, 16:18 
I think this is basically the same question of crytek bought the Unreal engine and then asking whats better :P

--------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7 2600k
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6950 2 GB
16 GB DD3 1600 RAM
Fractal Design XL Black Pearl
--------------------------------------------------------------
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.12.2012, 19:13Posts: 7 Likes: 0

PostPosted 07.04.2013, 14:29 
Yup, everyone is a a 3DS Max fanboy here. Especially TheModMan who I think is a has confused himself with what Maya and 3DS Max are. Max is easier and more streamlined to use whereas Maya is more complex and has a larger range of features. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are absolutely stupid.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.12.2012, 19:13Posts: 7 Likes: 0

PostPosted 07.04.2013, 14:34 
I think that almost all the facts stated here are wrong and this thread should be closed.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 03.05.2012, 18:35Posts: 707Location: Essex, London Likes: 73

PostPosted 07.04.2013, 15:15 
Quote by Bullbob2:
Yup, everyone is a a 3DS Max fanboy here. Especially TheModMan who I think is a has confused himself with what Maya and 3DS Max are. Max is easier and more streamlined to use whereas Maya is more complex and has a larger range of features. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are absolutely stupid.

I don't know where you are getting this from but maya is just as diverse and you can achieve the same results as users of 3ds max. It isn't a discussion of which is better, but which you prefer. Choose what suits you, and you can only find out by trying!

Click for fun stuff! viewtopic.php?f=310&t=105239