View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 118

Post Topic: Re: CDK horror game.
PostPosted 10.12.2011, 01:50 
Anytime that your working with houses and buildings you have to keep in mind the numbers involved.. Walls are usually 5 and 1/4 Inches thick at that time, 4 inches for the 2x4 Wood boards, and 5/8ths on both sides for Plaster or at that time possibly Gypsum board if it was a higher working class home.

You'll have to convert that to the metric system though XD.

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 10.09.2008, 08:18Posts: 221Location: ireland,mullingar Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.12.2011, 16:53 
I have begun creating an attic of the house, and it looks quite good so far. The first level is INTENDED to look bright. This will deteriorate every day, until bugs will crawl and wallpaper will rot. I will upload a screenshot after I add a particle effect.

Edit: Here they are:

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 10.09.2008, 08:18Posts: 221Location: ireland,mullingar Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.01.2012, 20:14 
Anyhow, the story is completely changed due to its inefficiency if applied to an interactive environment, where a story would be preferable for every place, instead of one story for a whole town. This would increase immersion, I think, and simply provide a better experience.
I have finally recorded a music piece which I have written some time ago. This version is imperfect, especially at the end, but I was too tired to fix it. Here it is, and I hope to receive perhaps some positive criticism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FW_Y_SYqg0

P.S. Also, a team member had left. He claimed that he only wished to create a small zombie game and nothing big, so we parted.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 118

PostPosted 20.01.2012, 20:43 
Ooooh, I like the sound :D

I know what its like having to change a story to fit the Area around it, I have had to do the same thing in my game.

I love the look of your attic, I can see your not being Conservative in terms of Tris :P thats fine though, thinking a few years in the future. Very impressive lighting work, I can see that youve gotten used to the lighting in CE3..

Very nice so far mate.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 20.01.2012, 20:59 
Uhm, the music is pretty bad actually.. I could do much better live with a single piano..
It is nothing original, complicated or anything.. it is just two random chords played on a virtual piano with ten sound effects at a time.

Now i don't have a piano on my hands and I probably won't have for about two weeks or something like that.. but if you'll ever want or need any help with the soundtrack, I'll be glad to give my contribution to your work. :)

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9842Location: Finland Likes: 170

PostPosted 20.01.2012, 21:02 
The attic is looking very good, but there are some minor issues which I think will be easy to fix:

The wood grain on the beams and the posts should run parallel to the beam. Now it looks kind of funny when it always runs straight horizontal, even when the posts next to the wall are vertical and the beams on the roof are slanted... Should be easily fixed by adjusting the UVW map. :) It's always best to UVW map beams like that when you create them in horizontal position, and then rotate and copy them around.

Another thing: the hole in the batting (?) on the roof looks quite unrealistic. The texture appears as though the material is soft, maybe a tightly packed layer of straw, but the hole has sharp edges as if it's porcelain or something. Even if the material was wood it wouldn't shatter like that, but individual planks would break at different spots creating a completely different appearance. ;)

You're making good progress either way, the atmosphere on the attic is very nice already! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

I think the music fits the theme pretty well, although the composition is very simple as DevilDante noted. The repetitive organ chords create a haunting, old-school horror movie-like atmosphere. :)

Maybe a bit more dynamic would do it good though: have parts be played at a very silent volume, slowly rising in intensity, and hitting hard at certain spots to create tension. ;)

PostPosted 21.01.2012, 05:29 
Quote by the_grim:
I think the music fits the theme pretty well, although the composition is very simple as DevilDante noted. The repetitive organ chords create a haunting, old-school horror movie-like atmosphere. :)

Yeah thats what I meant, I thought it was nice and simple.

PostPosted 21.01.2012, 16:44 
Well, as I noted, I did not create the music, and only truly put it in temporarily. The actual music of the game would be different.

Ah, thanks for the advice. I will reUVmap the beams. Now, it is true that the ceiling looks soft, but that is because I have applied a Cloth texture by accident. It looks better now. Yes, maybe it is not that realistic. Will try to fix it. So, thanks for the comments :)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.01.2012, 18:14Posts: 29Location: Rio de Janeiro | Brazil Likes: 0

PostPosted 22.01.2012, 19:03 
It's perfect.
With that tool you are creating models to export to Cryengine3?

PostPosted 23.01.2012, 19:24 
It was 3DS max all the way.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.01.2012, 20:38Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.01.2012, 22:52 
This is just amazing.. Keep up the good work!
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.01.2012, 18:14Posts: 29Location: Rio de Janeiro | Brazil Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.01.2012, 02:03 
Quote by sereda008:
It was 3DS max all the way.

Sorry for my English. And I'm Brazilian :]

You're doing a great job, keep it up.
How do you get the model does not give any errors?
Most models do apart from 3D MAX to be exported are wrong, others I can export.

But anyway! Congratulations for your work man.

PostPosted 24.01.2012, 19:33 
I am not sure what you mean... I never experienced problems in 3DS max exports, except that 16-bit thingy created for consoles to reduce model quality, sometimes ruining the mesh if it is too big/pivot is far away.

PostPosted 24.01.2012, 21:00 
Yeah really, Ive been using max for Cryengine for 4 years and I have had little to know issues I couldnt fix.

Whats going wrong for you?

and yeah, that 16-Bit was a letdown. I hope in an update they fix that.

PostPosted 25.01.2012, 12:26 
Quote by sereda008:
I am not sure what you mean... I never experienced problems in 3DS max exports, except that 16-bit thingy created for consoles to reduce model quality, sometimes ruining the mesh if it is too big/pivot is far away.

Sorry for my english :sad: