View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.01.2011, 16:24Posts: 15Location: Germany Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Making a UI
PostPosted 27.01.2012, 12:20 
hmmm that's sad.

Becauce i can wait :) - i'll wait for the scaleform support within CryEngine3. I want create the best interface i can, so i want to use the best possible technology.

But if i had to complete some work NOW - ... damn situation.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.05.2010, 11:46Posts: 1297Location: GermanyStatus: Online Likes: 159

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 12:33 
btw they are still searching some Flash guy:
http://www.openoutcast.org/wp/team-jobs ... ist-coder/

so if someone is up for the job :)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.09.2011, 15:13Posts: 21 Likes: 3

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 12:54 
Did they ship Scalform with CLICK and gfx extensions? It sound like they don't.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.05.2010, 11:46Posts: 1297Location: GermanyStatus: Online Likes: 159

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 13:45 
They did not ship scaleform at all it was only the C++ plugin to interpret swf files. you had to work with Adobe Flash but it was interpreted/limited by scaleform. My guess it thats also what will happen with freesdk if scaleform will be available at all in the near time.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.01.2011, 16:24Posts: 15Location: Germany Likes: 0

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 15:10 
Quote by hendrikp:

Some time ago i was joined that team - but i can't spend the time a project like open outcast needs. (Personal Projects, work etc.)

So you can ask them, if they "want" me again ;-) (Because i now have time for a few projects in this setting)

*Kannst mir gerne eine PN schreiben ;)*

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 15:43 
Quote by Nubuu:
Quote by hendrikp:

Some time ago i was joined that team - but i can't spend the time a project like open outcast needs. (Personal Projects, work etc.)

So you can ask them, if they "want" me again ;-) (Because i now have time for a few projects in this setting)

*Kannst mir gerne eine PN schreiben ;)*

Da must du dich schon selber bewerben ich bin aus den gleichen gründen wie du seit Oasis 1.1 release nicht mehr dabei. Aber mach dir keine Sorge bzgl. Zeit/Deadlines das wird dort nicht so streng gesehen ;)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 03.02.2010, 09:29Posts: 99Location: Germany Likes: 1

PostPosted 28.01.2012, 10:25 
Quote:
because I think the next ooc demo will not have lot of UI because of this.

Well, we'll have UI but the presentation "eyecandy" will be limited since we are restricted to a bitmap HUD/Menu. We're still hoping Crytek gets the Scaleform license, else we may also go with CEGUI in the long run, but that's not decided yet.
Quote:
Aber mach dir keine Sorge bzgl. Zeit/Deadlines das wird dort nicht so streng gesehen

To translate:
Quote:
But don't worry about time/deadlines, they aren't too strict about that

The problem with free projects is that you can't motivate people with money and may not be even able to get in touch with them for weeks if they don't reply to mails, etc. This holds especially when you can't reach your goal with just a handful of people you may know really well but just hope everyone is serious enough about it. A good alternative source of motivation is user feedback but the switch to CE3 and decision to do all assets from scratch (what added for example the need to fully understand anim graphs for our custom rig / player animations and especially how they work together with the player class what ISN'T DOCUMENTED VERY WELL) obviously prolongs the release cycle.

Therefore with the upcoming demo we will switch to a patch based release model, where small features (like Twon-Has, improved AI, climbing) will be released each month to six weeks while the content production focuses on the main game only. But well, till then it's: when it's done :D

Regarding input handling for the HUD: I would suggest you use Actions/ActionMaps instead of directly listening to specific keys, since they can be easily mapped via the config and you can apply action filters etc.

Project Lead, Lead Programmer @ open Outcast
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.10.2008, 18:38Posts: 289Location: Berlin, Germany Likes: 2

PostPosted 30.01.2012, 01:52 
@hendrikp
You can download the UDK and link the Scaleform CLIK tools, the exporter and the gfx player to Adobe Flash. The exported files work perfectly with the CE2.

This made UI development a lot easier for me.

Released !!! DOWNLOAD NOW !!!
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 14.10.2011, 23:20Posts: 16 Likes: 0

PostPosted 31.01.2012, 21:02 
Quote by Hamers:
@hendrikp
You can download the UDK and link the Scaleform CLIK tools, the exporter and the gfx player to Adobe Flash. The exported files work perfectly with the CE2.

This made UI development a lot easier for me.

Yes this worked great for me. I do have a licensed version of CE3 but it reads and displays both swf and gfx files (made with the gfx converter). This page in the doc tells all about how to make a flash HUD and Menu:

http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDO ... +UI+System

I don't understand why everyone is saying that CE3 doesn't support scaleform. Is this not available in the free version? if so why is it in the freesdk doc?
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.10.2008, 18:38Posts: 289Location: Berlin, Germany Likes: 2

PostPosted 31.01.2012, 21:54 
Quote:
Is this not available in the free version? if so why is it in the freesdk doc?

That's it. Sadly, there is no flash support at all in the Free SDK.

The edu SDK was created, when Scaleform was still independent. Now they are owned by Autodesk.

Crytek currently works on the integration for the free SDK.

Released !!! DOWNLOAD NOW !!!
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 26.08.2011, 08:39Posts: 644Location: Internet Likes: 4

PostPosted 01.02.2012, 03:09 
Quote by Hamers:
Quote:
Is this not available in the free version? if so why is it in the freesdk doc?

That's it. Sadly, there is no flash support at all in the Free SDK.

The edu SDK was created, when Scaleform was still independent. Now they are owned by Autodesk.

Crytek currently works on the integration for the free SDK.

Scaleform was already integrated, they just removed it because they didn't have a license.

A signature used to exist here.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:08Posts: 523Location: Canada Likes: 2

PostPosted 25.02.2012, 00:34 
Well, it there now.

Quote:
[1:49:53 PM] fedayk1ntr: Join the Dark side
[1:50:04 PM} themodman101: You may have cookies, but we have all the milk.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.09.2011, 17:31Posts: 79 Likes: 1

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 23:15 
Hello,
I have found a free flash editor that might work with the gfx exporter from v3.3.9 but haven't tried it yet:
http://vectorian.com/giotto/

Katoun
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 24.08.2011, 13:29Posts: 93Location: Germany Likes: 0

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 00:18 
Just to make things clear:
when making a new menu / hud for a game in Free SDK, you simply need flash and the engine. Just putting a link to a swf instead of a gfx into the xml files TOTALLY WORKS.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 23.09.2011, 17:31Posts: 79 Likes: 1

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 15:28 
Quote by Taxel:
Just to make things clear:
when making a new menu / hud for a game in Free SDK, you simply need flash and the engine. Just putting a link to a swf instead of a gfx into the xml files TOTALLY WORKS.

Well that is super :D

Katoun