View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.09.2008, 02:53Posts: 237Location: Kansas, U.S. Likes: 17

Post Topic: Video flythrough tour of Sannyasi's level design work
PostPosted 26.01.2012, 02:16 
Hello folks, I've decided to add to my portfolio by making a video tour of all my main level design work, videos with particle animation, movement and fancy cam work always look better than screenshots and I have been lacking videos so here's the first batch of them. So far I've got two of a total of six done (maybe more). I'm almost done with my third and may finish the other three tomorrow. Keep tabs for updates very soon :D

The first one I did was 'MechWarrior: Living Legends' Terrain Control map, 'Kagoshima'. I did most of the work on this level with the help of Wilson on the two main capture bases. This map was finished around a year and a half ago with the initial release of the 'Terrain Control' (TC) game mode for MW:LL.

I'm so used to seeing the display info in the corner that I didn't even notice I had recorded it until it was up on youtube (doh!).

Playtime- 3:34

The second video in the series is also a 'MechWarrior: Living Legends' level called 'Inferno'. This was my first major level design project which I've done most of the work on, 'ShadowKiller' helped with optimizations for release of the original version. It was released with as one of the original 5 levels by the MW:LL team at the end of 2009. I have expanded it and made many cosmetic improvements since the original version which are all shown in this video. Enjoy!

Playtime- 5:00

The third video is a third 'MechWarrior: Living Legends' map, it's called 'Marshes'. I started this level not long after Inferno and worked on them both at the same time for the original release of MW:LL, the second of the original five that I worked on primarily. Since then it has been converted from the original TSA mode to the newer objective based TC game mode. 'Deathbane' helped me build much of the newer level's bases. This is video is of the TC game mode, the original version is the same base overgrown and abandoned. Hope you like this one!

Almost forgot to post this one! I had it up on youtube a few days ago. This is the last vid of the MW:LL maps I created. I did help finish many others but I wasn't the primary artist on them. I built this one after Marshes and Inferno were done, so it was my third big project. This was one of my favorite levels to work on, which was also converted to the Terrain Control game mode (TC) like Marshes. 'ShadowKiller' helped with some of the lighting and textures and 'Wilson' helped detail the bases on the TC version of the map.

I've got two more videos to come after this that aren't MechWarrior related but are my own personal projects. Keep tabs, I'm working on the cam work for the next one right now.

To see more work I've done visit my site: http://www.windowsofamind.com

Last edited by -Sannyasi- on 01.02.2012, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 15.01.2012, 14:58Posts: 12 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Video flythrough tour of Sannyasi's level design work
PostPosted 01.02.2012, 00:03 
these are freakin EPIC espically the second one
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 06.09.2008, 02:53Posts: 237Location: Kansas, U.S. Likes: 17

PostPosted 01.02.2012, 03:13 
Quote by frostbittensno:
these are freakin EPIC espically the second one

Thanks! I just added the a fourth video, these are all the main MW:LL maps I worked on so far, I've got two more videos that I'm working on unrelated to MW:LL that I'll be posting soon but those vids are a bit more time consuming to make.
  Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 19.09.2009, 15:04Posts: 817Location: Bordeaux, France Likes: 9

PostPosted 01.02.2012, 13:59 
Flythrough Framerate looks higher than the in-game (devmode information) framerate, how did you record it ?

Good maps, atmosphere and terrain are nice.

PostPosted 01.02.2012, 14:08 
Actually I locked the FPS at 30 fps, so they are all at about that. I get quite a bit more on all these levels normally though. I have also always gotten better FPS in the editor than in game, but when a server is empty and there's no mechs in any of the scenes it's pretty close to the editor also. I used Fraps to record it and then used Sony Vegas to export it as a .wmv. Glad you like them, I've got two more non-MW:LL level vids to make and upload here but they are taking a bit longer to create.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2853Location: USA Likes: 136

PostPosted 02.02.2012, 04:45 
I love the first and second one.. Top rate work there mate. :)
  Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 26.09.2005, 01:52Posts: 82 Likes: 25

PostPosted 04.02.2012, 10:37 
Any new stuff?

PostPosted 04.02.2012, 23:44 
Quote by shadowkiller:
Any new stuff?

Yup, but I won't be showing it for a while.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.03.2011, 06:58Posts: 63Location: Acton Likes: 0

PostPosted 06.02.2012, 07:02 
I think the Last one is more impressive from a technical standpoint to have an entire level big enough for mechs all inside what appears to be a cave, is crazy. It can't be all Voxels is it? how did you accomplish that big of a cave in a Voxel? if so. Probably just ALOT of time and dedication.

PostPosted 08.02.2012, 06:33 
it was tricky thinking up how to do such a huge cave- i did try voxels at one point but that used up too much memory performed badly , the only voxels are the bridges, other than that it's all just massive rock/stalagtite/stalagmite assets. There's so many scaled up rocks for the ceiling that you can't add many more without crashing the editor and breaking the .cry file. it was a fun map to work on though copying those stalagtites was a time consuming job
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.12.2011, 04:21Posts: 59Location: Minneapolis Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.02.2012, 09:11 
The lighting on the first two are great! The second two seem a little flat. I'm new though, so take it with a grain of salt :)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.11.2011, 19:20Posts: 42Location: England Likes: 0

PostPosted 19.09.2012, 18:40 
sorry if I'm being a noob here but how do you achieve the fly-through animations? I understand you have used TrackView but what settings?

I mean: I understand the theory of animating a camera object but i find it incredibly fiddly and inaccurate -- especially when trying to rotate!

What method did you use?

i cant find any clinical documentation on creating fly-Throughs

PostPosted 22.09.2012, 05:00 
Quote by Foma Fomich:
sorry if I'm being a noob here but how do you achieve the fly-through animations? I understand you have used TrackView but what settings?

I mean: I understand the theory of animating a camera object but i find it incredibly fiddly and inaccurate -- especially when trying to rotate!

What method did you use?

i cant find any clinical documentation on creating fly-Throughs

It's been a while since I made these- each one took about 5ish hours to map the path out on- MW:LL levels are really big though. The way I did it was by adding the entity to the track view, setting up the start/end time and all that business then i select the camera, create a keyframe, then move a few seconds later, move/rotate object and repeat, it's a bit tricky and tedious to get used to how it behaves and like you said, the rotation can be a bit finicky at times- i usually setup the basic path with 5 second intervals in frames then i go back and add in finer details like rotation and anything else that is needed. Hope that helps :)