View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

Post Topic: Re: Fortress - Town of a Thousand Thorns (WIP)
PostPosted 17.01.2012, 20:46 
Looks very vey nice.. I've never heard of similar projects so it might be hard to find custom assets and such but keep up the good work, you're skilled ! :)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 02.07.2011, 17:02Posts: 1306Location: HQ Likes: 79

PostPosted 18.01.2012, 19:31 
The very first picture, in the first post, it looks like Skyrim... i dont know why...the positioning of the buildings is similar to those of Skyrim. nice

Sometimes the small stuff does matter

Quote by Lavizh:
This thread is so useless it doesn't even deserve the database space it requires.

/Closed for obvious reasons.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 90

PostPosted 19.01.2012, 03:46 
Nice start, one question: any particular reason you've chosen to use the C1 mod SDK rather than CE3 when you're seemingly using exclusively custom assets?

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 188

PostPosted 26.01.2012, 21:24 
Very nice work, and frequent updates (I wonder why there aren't any more comments...) :) Have you got any parts of the town textured so far? Some of the geometry appears rather complex, so I'm wondering how you're intending to UVW map them...

Regarding your inquiry for a medieval asset pack: there's a Cryengine 2 scenery map called Niveus, which features very good-looking medieval/fantasy assets - the architecture looks fitting to your style so you might be able to use the assets! :)

See the forum thread for screenshots and more info (most of the links are dead by now though): viewtopic.php?f=278&t=35022

Download the map here: A medieval map for exploring
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 27.01.2012, 00:39 
It's a very complex project, an original idea, custom assets and a great job for a one-man.
Still, the_grim's right: noone's commenting.. weird. :/

Anyway, very nice work so far. :)

Trainee TraineeMember since: 13.07.2011, 06:26Posts: 115 Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.02.2012, 23:51 
The person who textured the Nievus buildings used a UV map from what I've seen. I have some of them in my editor right now and the texturing isn't very HQ close up. I would recommend you use some sort of mapping rather than a UV so you don't waste the UV space.

If you need help with it just ask and I would be happy to dig up a tut for you. :)

Nice models by the way!

3D Artist||2D Artist||Level Designer
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 25.01.2010, 15:54Posts: 2065Location: Moscow, Russia Likes: 57

PostPosted 06.02.2012, 11:58 
Unfortunately unwrapping and texturing is really much longer process than simply creating 3d models. The main thing which will help to texture huge building in a right case is using decals of shadows as one of model submaterials. Means tiled detailed bricks texture - is one id and see-through shadows at the bottom and under the roof spaces - is another id.

Loving God gives you Happiness, Knowledge, Strength and Freedom.
AURAYAMA on Crydev & AURAYAMA in Russia :)
Portfolio: AndreyFilantrop on deviantART
Life by FlowGraph!
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 188

PostPosted 06.02.2012, 12:24 
Alternatively you can bake ambient occlusion into the vertex colours of the model, it's a simple procedure and practically free in the engine. :) High quality occlusion requires a high polycount though (you need additional vertices in the wall sections under canopies and such.

Tutorial here: http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionVertexColor

You need to enable Vertex colors in the material for them to show up in the editor. ;)

PostPosted 14.02.2012, 23:45 
Wow !
Some great work there, man ! :)

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.11.2011, 00:36Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 08:52 
Very impressive work, reminds me of Game of Thrones scenery. Can't wait for more updates.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 23:52 
The last two images (and actually all pics) look pretty solid. I'd really suggest to focus on blocking out everything with (relatively) simple geometry and textures, as you are doing now. The textures/geometry can always be changed once you get the entire town/keep together. That way you can really immerse yourself while designing the details and nicknacks.

As for the noise-line-effect that is being produced; its because your textures do not have Mid-maps. These texture handling's will ensure on greater range that the detail is lowered so it doesn't suffer from over saturation of (commonly) dark tones creating a "sharp-line-effect".
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 13.10.2008, 19:48Posts: 6496Location: Squiggers' kitchen Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.04.2012, 14:48 
No problem man, I am always here to help.

A lot of detail can be achieved with smaller props and decals. Not just large flat geometry. I suggest breaking the models down if you have a lot of reoccurring objects so you can place them in the editor rather easily and use them for other props too!

And dont worry about how much you do, only that you do it!

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 14:25 
You need to save the textures using the CryTIFF plugin, it generates mip maps automatically. The NVidia DDS plugin for Photoshop should work fine for Cryengine 2; if I remember correctly there are settings for determining the number of mip maps that are being generated upon saving. ;)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 09.08.2011, 08:58Posts: 334Location: Moskow, Russia Likes: 4

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 15:28 
Attitude, nice work! :)
What do you think about tesseletion of your castle? I will very happy if you want to do it! But if it very hard for you that you can not to be troubled. :)

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 05.04.2012, 14:13Posts: 254 Likes: 14

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 20:13 
Very nice! Atmosphere looks good, layout aswell, and the fact that you're modeling (and also texturing) a lot of it by yourself is really impressive! Keep it up :)

Intel i5-2500K 4x@4.9GHz@EKWB Supremacy Nickel water block
ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 @Z68
Gigabyte HD 7950 @ 1100MHz/6000MHz@Alphacool NexXxos ATXP water block
24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL10