Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Forum lockedPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1542 Likes: 56

Post Topic: Unreal Engine 4
PostPosted 10.02.2012, 20:15 
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/7 ... mark-rein/

Yeap. This year.

I guess (sorry Crytek), that Epic once again will rule AAA games... Just wonder if UDK switch to UE4 as well. Probably yes. Because heck.. Why not ?

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

Post Topic: Re: Unreal Engine 4
PostPosted 10.02.2012, 20:34 
And in two years time Crytek will release Cryengine4 and rule the market for 5 to 10 more years..

It's a good news there's finally a new Unreal Engine, but that statement about Epic ruling AAA games ''once again''.. well i don't see the meaning of that.
If you're a fan of Unreal Engine you shouldn't be posting on CryEngine forums, lol (ehy ehy, you've got the right to post and I'm in no way saying you can't, don't take me wrong, ok?).

Thanks for posting the news though, that is something interesting. :)

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 30.06.2011, 13:37Posts: 460Location: Ottawa, Ontario - Canada Likes: 4

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 21:03 
funny how they posted a U.E.3 video to promote U.E.4, funny Cause U.E.3 SDK is unavailable to the Public Only Dev's get it. We only get UE SDK which is not nearly as good as UE3. But hey what do I know I just make pretty cartoons :)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1542 Likes: 56

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 21:04 
Quote by DevilDante:
And in two years time Crytek will release Cryengine4 and rule the market for 5 to 10 more years..

It's a good news there's finally a new Unreal Engine, but that statement about Epic ruling AAA games ''once again''.. well i don't see the meaning of that.
If you're a fan of Unreal Engine you shouldn't be posting on CryEngine forums, lol (ehy ehy, you've got the right to post and I'm in no way saying you can't, don't take me wrong, ok?).

Thanks for posting the news though, that is something interesting. :)

I'm not fan i neither. Just see how many companies using UE3. And I guess migration to UE4 will be much easier than to whole new tech ;p.

Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9879Location: Finland Likes: 185

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 21:20 
I wonder what new tech there is to justify a whole new version number instead of just an update to UE3. One can always hope they've refactored major sections of the code to make the engine fundamentally faster and better structured... :)

Graphical improvements can always be added on top of the old tech, as demonstrated by that DX11 showcase vid (for UE3). Hence I'm intrigued about the actual engine changes. ;)
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11774Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 712

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 21:53 
One thing to note is that they might be pushing out UE4 (not sure about UDK 4) sooner becouse they feel scared about the FreeSDK getting both Scaleform, DX11 and new features in Q1 / Q2 2012 (no this is not an official statement). But competition is always a good thing on this area. As both Crytek and Epic Games will be on their toes about new tech and optimizations. Which in the end will benefit us, the developers.

I'm glad it's progressing the way it is. But they are going to need to demonstrate this with some epic showcasing to convince me. And UE4 / UDK 4 better have a realtime editor like the FreeSDK. It's about time. They need more live environments like Sandbox has. It takes such a long time to create a map compared to the CE3. Pre-calculating light entities and shadows is just not right (i had to in the last build i used atleast) :P

Realtime - all the time.

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 22:46 
Yeah if they still going to use Lightmaps i'm gonna well.. LOL.

Thus. To be perfectly fair Crytek also uses some legacy code that is here from CryEngine1. Terrain sniff, sniff..
Epic at least started to replace their base systems in engine ;p.

And please don't tell anything. Terrain is VERY important to me. Not as play space, but more like artistic backgorund ;p.

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 22:48 
Quote by DevilDante:

3/4's of all games use some variant of the Unreal Engine. I can only think of a handful of games that use CryEngine.......
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 22:55 
Who knows what will happen in the future. :)

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 30.06.2011, 13:37Posts: 460Location: Ottawa, Ontario - Canada Likes: 4

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 23:30 
@ClockWorkOnion
Yes this is true about more studios using UE more but that is only cause they have had the market for so long. CE3 if the first to really give them a run for their money and well let's just say. It's time for a new UE haha
They are really going to half to pull out a lot of tricks out of the old hat to sway me I have been using CE since FarCry 1 and UE still makes me shrivel in distaste.

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 23:48 
Quote by Lavizh:
One thing to note is that they might be pushing out UE4 (not sure about UDK 4) sooner becouse they feel scared about the FreeSDK getting both Scaleform, DX11 and new features in Q1 / Q2 2012 (no this is not an official statement). But competition is always a good thing on this area. As both Crytek and Epic Games will be on their toes about new tech and optimizations. Which in the end will benefit us, the developers.

I'm glad it's progressing the way it is. But they are going to need to demonstrate this with some epic showcasing to convince me. And UE4 / UDK 4 better have a realtime editor like the FreeSDK. It's about time. They need more live environments like Sandbox has. It takes such a long time to create a map compared to the CE3. Pre-calculating light entities and shadows is just not right (i had to in the last build i used atleast) :P

Realtime - all the time.

This. Having to pre calculate light entities is a pain! Also i gotta say, i like how all the staff on here actually listen and talk in the forums.

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ

Last edited by TheMagnumman357 on 01.07.2012, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2848Location: USA Likes: 131

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 23:53 
I wont be the slightest bit impressed until UDK worlds feel less dead, More interactive, real-time lighting, real-time editor. Ive never seen a UDK level or environment that didn't seem static and unmovable. Even the UE3 SDK would be a nice thing to see in fact.

Right now as it is, its less of a battle of which is better, and more of a battle of which is Suited for a specific project.

They must be reacting to something though, because Tim Sweeney said that they would take a long time to create it. And quite frankly, it sounds like they are already piling on the Hype, its probably just going to be UE3 with some barely new gadgets or something.

Last edited by themodman101 on 11.02.2012, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 10.02.2012, 23:59 
Quote by SnowGecko:
@ClockWorkOnion
Yes this is true about more studios using UE more but that is only cause they have had the market for so long. CE3 if the first to really give them a run for their money and well let's just say. It's time for a new UE haha
They are really going to half to pull out a lot of tricks out of the old hat to sway me I have been using CE since FarCry 1 and UE still makes me shrivel in distaste.

True, im not a fan of UE, its never had graphics that impress me. UE3 is popular because it works great on xbox 360, and the 360 is leading the market.

Agree with you modman, everything in UDK looks dead, like gears of war

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.04.2008, 13:25Posts: 759Location: Russia, Moskow Likes: 34

PostPosted 11.02.2012, 06:04 
[IMHO]
Well, same people can made only same technology on same concept - so, UE4 will be just UE3 witn new splashscreen and some effects; with same lightmaps, editor and so on. Like 3D Max 2013... hope this scenario will be false, but i don't belive in that. As maximum - get ready to see something like Rage - perfect static virtual texturing and ages to compile that (maybe at least on GPU but anyway too long) + some fresh technology from side XD (like PhysX; old engine programmers can't think and learn new programming languages and concepts - so, easer to buy something new than start to eork new way) . With full DX9 and iOS support of course!111 :facepalm:

Same story with CE4 btw...

:stare:
BUT! We will have realy impressive demo video - were artist pull dust in our eyes with a lot of artists tricks (e.g. most of impressibe stuff - not on realy new tech + not showing old problems, but who cares)! ... :whistle:
[/IMHO]
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 11.02.2012, 11:01 
Quote by TheMagnumman357:
True, im not a fan of UE, its never had graphics that impress me. UE3 is popular because it works great on xbox 360, and the 360 is leading the market.

Agree with you modman, everything in UDK looks dead, like gears of war

You clearly haven't played Gears of War. Also UE is popular because 1) its easy to use and produces great visuals, 2) looooooooooooooooooooots of documentation, 3) its cheap and the license grants you some serious perks.

Quote by Lex4art:
[IMHO]
Well, same people can made only same technology on same concept - so, UE4 will be just UE3 witn new splashscreen and some effects; with same lightmaps, editor and so on. Like 3D Max 2013... hope this scenario will be false, but i don't belive in that. As maximum - get ready to see something like Rage - perfect static virtual texturing and ages to compile that (maybe at least on GPU but anyway too long) + some fresh technology from side XD (like PhysX; old engine programmers can't think and learn new programming languages and concepts - so, easer to buy something new than start to eork new way) . With full DX9 and iOS support of course!111 :facepalm:

Same story with CE4 btw...

:stare:
BUT! We will have realy impressive demo video - were artist pull dust in our eyes with a lot of artists tricks (e.g. most of impressibe stuff - not on realy new tech + not showing old problems, but who cares)! ... :whistle:
[/IMHO]

Look at the difference between UE, UE2, and UE3 :rolleyes: In case you missed it, when a new version number is involved there is a dramatic advancement in technology both visually and under the hood.