Particle Effects & Materials

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.10.2011, 04:42Posts: 22 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: Alpha Map Not Working
PostPosted 27.02.2012, 22:43 
Followed the processes via the links provided by Vulture, but still not working. I'm still getting the teapot icon when I check the POM shader setting. Still getting the console error previously stated.

Just to double check, I also tried the same textures in a new scene and on a new untouched piece of geometry with a new material. Same problem.

anybody else?

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3914Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 42

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.02.2012, 02:36 
It does in fact work. Here's the pic provided on the previous page of a terrain layer, and the second pic is a material I just finished, applied on an asset (fishing house more specifically).

Edit: Another!

I'll see if I can get a tutorial up tomorrow. Depends on how much spare time I get. Or we could solve this now, if you give us an in-depth walkthrough of your process.

- Aspiring Level / 3D Artist -
Portfolio | CryDev | Art Blog

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.10.2011, 04:42Posts: 22 Likes: 0

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 03:50 
I'm certainly not doubting that it does work. I actually got my assets to show up with POM perfectly on a friend's machine, and this is even without a _displ map (height map in norml bump map instead). Which boggles my mind even more. So I'm quite sure that i'm doing everything right.

I followed the exact same process shown in the links provided and had no luck. And once again, I tried these assets on the same friend's rig today, and they worked. Go figure.

The only thing I can think of that may be different in my process is that i'm saving out my normal map using the bump2normal conversion. But this still wouldn't explain why it works on my friend's rig.

These assets have been tested on 3 different rigs. My rig at work (where they were created), my friend's rig, and my rig at home (tested last of the 3). My friend's is the only one that works. And my home rig is nothing short of a monster. I compared all the driver details, nvidia settings, dxdiag info, everything I could think of. And got nowhere.

My friend's rig does not have the Crysis 2 mod SDK installed. My rigs at work and home both do. Is it possible this can cause issues?

If you still think an in depth walk-through of my workflow is necessary after reading all this, then I will have no problem writing one. It's just that the circumstances appear to totally contradict the need for one.

Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal for me, but I have A LOT (x10) riding on getting this working correctly asap. It's my job. =)
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 30.07.2008, 00:36Posts: 3914Location: Sthlm, Sweden Likes: 42

Post Topic:
PostPosted 28.02.2012, 05:28 
Hm, that's really strange indeed. You could try uninstalling, right now that seems like the only difference between working and not working. I really don't know what else could work. Issues like this one is a lot harder to solve when it's working on one end but not another...
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 17.06.2011, 10:49Posts: 1473Location: Germany Likes: 7

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 11:37 
Quote by Shredhed99:
My friend's rig does not have the Crysis 2 mod SDK installed. My rigs at work and home both do. Is it possible this can cause issues?

in mod SDK, POM works only in DX11, in free SDK it work in DX9 .

Intel Core i5-2500K
ASRock P67 Pro3
8 GB DDR3-1333
GTX560 2GB
Win7 x64

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 16:28 
Odd indeed. Normally I'm very good at troubleshooting these problems myself. Which is why you don't see me on these forums very often. But this one is causing me to lose sleep. lol

I'm going to try completely wiping anything cryengine related from my machine at work, updating everything I can think of, clearing all registry entries, and start completely fresh. As I was leaving work yesterday, every single POM enabled material in the forest level decided to go flat and stop working. That kinda freaked me out. lol. So we'll see what happens.

And yes, I'm well aware of the DX9 and DX11 differences.

PostPosted 28.02.2012, 18:44 
.....aaaand no such luck. The POM materials still don't show up in the forest level. But now I'm beginning to wonder if they EVER worked on my work machine and I was subject to a POM placebo effect lol. If that's the case, then I might be able to chalk this up to a video card incompatibility issue. However, I had used POM in CryEngine 3.3.7 (when it was required to put height maps in the normal map alpha channel).

Have you ever heard of anyone having issues with an NVidia Quadro FX 1800? Drivers are all updated. My rig at home is pushing an NVidia GTX 590 classified edition so I'm positive there's no compatibility problem there lol.

Post Topic: Re:
PostPosted 29.02.2012, 17:01 
Quote by The Vulture:
Hm, that's really strange indeed. You could try uninstalling, right now that seems like the only difference between working and not working. I really don't know what else could work. Issues like this one is a lot harder to solve when it's working on one end but not another...

So it's finally working. Joy. lol. Here's what I've learned from this:

I was doing some testing with my video card at home (messing with some of the real time shaders in MAX) a few weeks ago and I had a string active that forces images/textures to be drawn at more than 8 bits per channel. Thus negating the A8 alpha channels when cryengine tries to draw them. My friend (not really knowing how directory sensitive game engines are) had his 3.3.9 dumped into his 3.3.7 folder. So when I loaded the assets on his machine, it ran everything through the older RC, which explains why the POM was working with a heightmap in the normal map's alpha. My machine at work still wont draw the POM, and i'm still looking into why, but I'm not too worried about it. Just glad it works beautifully on my home rig.

I appreciate everyone's support. I can finally relax and meet my deadline. =)
I'll throw up a screen or two in a new thread, whenever the project's finished.

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 17:13 
Great, happy everything worked out!
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.08.2011, 14:47Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 13.02.2014, 05:19 
i have trouble with displacementmap (Crytif) . I looking for Displacementmap but dont see anywhere .
hepl...
Using : PS3, CryEngine3 v3.3.5
Attachments:

dont have displacementmap.jpg
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 04.05.2009, 13:47Posts: 2857Location: GermanyStatus: Online Likes: 119

PostPosted 13.02.2014, 06:39 
did you use the suffix _displ?
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.08.2011, 14:47Posts: 5 Likes: 0

PostPosted 14.02.2014, 13:25 
Quote by Zezeri:
did you use the suffix _displ?

"suffix_displ" what is that? Save name' file?
I was intalled Crytilff follow this link freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC3/Installing+the+CryTIF+Plugin
miss anthing?
Thanks
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 22.08.2013, 15:13Posts: 487 Likes: 120

PostPosted 14.02.2014, 13:50 
Quote by ngoduyvu:
"suffix_displ" what is that? Save name' file?

Save your texture as "yourtexture_displ.tif".

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in the fruit salad.