General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.07.2006, 03:26Posts: 605Location: Florida Likes: 10

Post Topic: Re: UnrealEngine 3, CryENGINE 3 which one ............ ?
PostPosted 04.03.2012, 04:53 
Quote by Plastix:
CryEngine 3 SDK:
- Lack of support and info

Umm, hardly there buddy. :evil:

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 859 Likes: 18

PostPosted 04.03.2012, 15:31 
the point is:
cryengine win in graphic and terrain making
udk win in programming(or you can say easy for making effects and triggers)
negative:
cryengine:developer login
UDK:often get crashes

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 26.08.2011, 08:39Posts: 644Location: Internet Likes: 4

PostPosted 04.03.2012, 22:58 
Quote by axeldev:
the point is:
negative:

Just because you don't know how to yet in Cryengine doesn't mean it's worse. Kinsmit is basically the same as Flowgraph. Plus with Cryengine you get the ability to use LUA instead of UnrealScript. Did I mention you can also program in C++?

Overall Cryengine has a lot more features for actual programmers. Kinsmit and Flowgraph isn't really programming, it's visually scripting what you want.

A signature used to exist here.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 859 Likes: 18

PostPosted 05.03.2012, 09:37 
Quote by Sieabah:
Quote by axeldev:
the point is:
negative:

Just because you don't know how to yet in Cryengine doesn't mean it's worse. Kinsmit is basically the same as Flowgraph. Plus with Cryengine you get the ability to use LUA instead of UnrealScript. Did I mention you can also program in C++?

Overall Cryengine has a lot more features for actual programmers. Kinsmit and Flowgraph isn't really programming, it's visually scripting what you want.

Kismet actualy,okay i think you'right its scripting not programming,but try udk its easier with the kismet.but i already change to cryengine because udk is very often get crashes specialy for the 2012 version,its always crash.i vote for CE3

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 26.08.2011, 08:39Posts: 644Location: Internet Likes: 4

PostPosted 05.03.2012, 09:43 
Quote by axeldev:
Quote by Sieabah:
Quote by axeldev:
the point is:
negative:

Kismet actualy,okay i think you'right its scripting not programming,but try udk its easier with the kismet.but i already change to cryengine because udk is very often get crashes specialy for the 2012 version,its always crash.i vote for CE3

Flowgraph is basically the same thing as Kinsmit.

A signature used to exist here.
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:40Posts: 99Location: Egypt Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.03.2012, 09:53 
.. The most important question:
Is there hope to know how much does indie developers costs ?
P.S.: Unreal Engine $99
I hope get an answer in the next few years :whatever:

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9827Location: Finland Likes: 161

PostPosted 05.03.2012, 10:48 
Quote by Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE:
“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.”
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:40Posts: 99Location: Egypt Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.03.2012, 10:54 
Quote:
only 20% of the developer’s revenues

is this mean I can sell my game made with Free SDK then give CryTEK 20% ?

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.04.2006, 22:04Posts: 202Location: Bordeaux, France Likes: 16

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 13:15 
Yes, if you are a licensee first. You should really get in touch with Crytek's licensing department. :)
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 12.03.2012, 10:18Posts: 109Location: Hong Kong Likes: 1

PostPosted 16.04.2012, 09:50 
i think you should try to contact mycryengine to know where to get license or something you really want to ask from them please try to contact them here http://mycryengine.com/index.php?conid=31 thx ;)

Culture : Muslim 穆斯林 مسلم

Name : Saif Ali 賽義夫·阿里 سیف علی
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 12.03.2012, 10:18Posts: 109Location: Hong Kong Likes: 1

PostPosted 16.04.2012, 09:53 
If you want to register Commercial license then go here http://mycryengine.com/register?regpr=CRY_SIM_EVAL

Culture : Muslim 穆斯林 مسلم

Name : Saif Ali 賽義夫·阿里 سیف علی
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 05.12.2012, 16:30Posts: 926Location: franceStatus: Online Likes: 82

PostPosted 27.01.2013, 19:57 
hi guys,
i plan to evaluate UDK and U3D
just at first sight, UDK and U3D seem a little under CE3 when it comes to lihghting, the rendering quality is really awesome in CE3
The U3D interface looks really user friendly
can t say anything about coding or scripting as i did nothing yet
but i d love to hear from other users,
i heard about some formerly CE devoloppers jumped to U3D..

riding random
:.::¨::.:¨¨:.::¨::.:
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 280 Likes: 9

PostPosted 27.01.2013, 20:48 
Quote by antislash:
i heard about some formerly CE devoloppers jumped to U3D..

Yeah with SeithCG and his mouse game gone as well I would say there are not many serious projects left on CE. In a way this is quite sad as the FreeSDK had a lot of potential. However if you want to start a commercial CE project this is the response you get:
"Only way to remove the login is to get a full commercial license or indie license from Crytek. Contact Crytek Licensing at http://www.mycryengine.com. These types of questions are best directed at Crytek not CryDev (CryDev is not a support forum for license questions).

CE3 or UDK, doesn't matter, what type of engine you use is up to you, not us.

/Closed."
Which is basicaly just saying we don't care if you use our product, we don't answer your questions about licensing, move along. So I guess it's not very surprising that people are doing just that.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 05.12.2012, 16:30Posts: 926Location: franceStatus: Online Likes: 82

PostPosted 27.01.2013, 21:18 
CE has indeed the best visual fidelity... i plan to use it for architectural real time rendering, so, licensing is gonna be a little diferent from a commercial licensing, because i will produce a project for a single customer, i havnt asked the billing conditions yet.

for games, i have at least 4 structured ideas, but i am evaluating wich engine is best for workflow

riding random

PostPosted 28.01.2013, 11:11 
i installed Unity 3D and here are my first impressions :

the UI is typically made for mac users, as it is photoshop-like where CE3 is more 3dsMax-like (witch is better IMHO)
- terrain modeling is really nice to use just because there are some different brush types to paint terrain
- terrain painting is really simple, with no need to RC textures or hipass them
- terrain textures blending is very nice, no need to adjust anything
- tree editor is really cool but it s a gadget, like poser etc, not for personalized trees
some drawbacks
- interface is horrible, too much windows and rollouts that are not really helpful
- navigating over the terrain, adjust view is horrible
- moving, rotating an object is horrible
- the default scene has no lights, you have to setup one to see the terrain
- no default player, no walkaround
- terrain textures are too simple, have no advanced parameters and render really AWFULLY
- you can t paint different terrain diffuse color or lightness and that makes terrain painting really repetitive
- no daylight
- soft shadows are FOR PRO VERSION ONLY !!
- you have to click "PLAY" to see the game but the default POV is default camera that doesnt follow where you are editing.
- definitively NOT WYSIWYG

so my first sum-up is :
-CE3 rendering quality is way OVER U3D, default lighting in U3D is horrible
-CE3 sandbox interface is really lighter and 3DSMAX friendly ( can be really improved tough)
-CE3 default settings (daylight, sky, water , terrain etc) allow users to work imediately on level design without having to setup the scene basics (sky, sun, water)
-efficiency is better (IMO) with CE3 sandbox

didn t test all the features yet, i just witness the few features i could test.

riding random