View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 06.07.2011, 20:12Posts: 165Location: Toronto, Canada Likes: 0

Post Topic: Never-Released level from JULY - Offshore Drilling Platform
PostPosted 27.11.2011, 22:33 
Hey guys, I've been MIA from the Crysis scene for some time now, regretfully. I started toying with the editor back in the Crysis days, made some jeeps pull people off cliffs and choppers fly tanks around but never made an ACTUAL level. Then C2 came out and I started up again after how ever many years to work on THIS level.

Battlefield 3 has been eating all my time & energy! Talking with a buddy today in BF3, we got on about C2 and I mentioned I made levels, so I cracked open the editor (copied over from two system builds ago) and to my delight it opened!

I opened up my old level and it still worked - majority of it anyway - so I took a quick video of it of me just flyin around and runnin around randomly. I wanted to finish it but I just never got the whole "package as mod" thing down and couldn't even figure out how to play the game IN GAME and not just in the editor, so I quickly moved on.

Everything (except the obvious barrels and crates) was built in Maya and imported. I'm very thankful to the - what is now - crymod community, you guys helped me through all my issues and then some! It clearly wasn't finished as there is a lot of open space, I was going to fill with pipes, containers, oil machinery etc.... I just didn't get that far. Sorry for the quality, I just didn't want to upload a 3gig fraps movie haha. Hope this gives someone inspiration to make this sort of thing.

*cheers,

- James

User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11573Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 683

Post Topic: Re: Never-Released level from JULY - Offshore Drilling Platf
PostPosted 27.11.2011, 22:35 
Looks like it could be a good Multiplayer map. Nice work.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 25.08.2011, 16:30Posts: 155Location: Lazytown Likes: 6

PostPosted 07.03.2012, 15:58 
DOWNLOAD???

NItimur In Vetinum
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 06.07.2011, 20:12Posts: 165Location: Toronto, Canada Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.03.2012, 06:15 
I never finished it, I just couldn't figure out how to make spawns, or packs or whatever all that was. I haven't touched Crysis since shortly after posting this... sucks because I was really excited to make some maps for folks but this whole, 'just do this.... and this and this.. and that.. and this.. and read that and this that don't tell you ANYTHING then do this and this and this and that and this without that and this.. and it'll work'

Never worked.

Everything custom in there too, textures and models etc.. so I don't even know how to ship it. Sorry :(
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 25.08.2011, 16:30Posts: 155Location: Lazytown Likes: 6

PostPosted 08.03.2012, 08:35 
You know the setup for where to place assets in the game folder, right?
You can use the pak manager to make objects more organized.

NItimur In Vetinum
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 10.03.2012, 06:37Posts: 6 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.03.2012, 06:44 
It's really great work.
You should finish it.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 12.04.2007, 16:51Posts: 3272 Likes: 2

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 04:00 
is that what a real rig looks like??
Well id DL it.. need some fish bowl toys!
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 22.09.2010, 16:12Posts: 94Location: Australia Likes: 0

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 07:00 
It looks like a huge amount of hard work put together making a masterpiece! Amazing work, it sure inspires me to make something spectacular.

I also see you got those railings working :D!
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 12:27 
Looks too big for a Multiplayer map imho.. I'd rather release it as an environmental map and think about what to do with it afterwards.
Otherwise, this project will die in the meantime. :)

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 12.04.2007, 16:51Posts: 3272 Likes: 2

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 14:08 
it could definitly be a MP map.. just block off something!
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 14:12 
True, but then all of krallopian's work would have been for nothing, and is work is too perfect to just throw a good half of it away like that just to release it as a Multiplayer map.

Not release the whole map to release it.. sounds like some stupid company' strategy to add some DLCs to their brand new game, eheh. :P

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 20:42 
Thanks for the comments guys, it's very inspiring hearing the positive feedback. I might get back to this one day (finished Mass Effect 3 right now.)

Sonic that's awesome that you remember the railings issues! =)

Thanks again guys, maybe I'll figure out how to get this all in one directory and zip it up and throw a link to it so you can mess around in/with it.

I researched the heck out of "Off Shore Drilling Platforms" or as I thought, "oil rigs." Learned a ton of info about them and the lives of the workers and the different type of platforms etc, it was an awesome experience. I'd certainly recommend thinking of making a level of something you don't know about or understand, and then force yourself to be a master of it! Like ancient castles, you'll end up learning the different type of architecture and time periods and reasons and layouts etc... level designing is so much more than ramps and cliffs =)

PostPosted 12.03.2012, 02:07 
I wasnt speaking of releasing a completed map..
If so he could do a top level map. then a bottom level map.. dark n spooky having fun now!