View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 17.08.2011, 09:12Posts: 20 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: create a RTS game from start to finish in Cryengine 3
PostPosted 09.03.2012, 23:19 
I love your answer!

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 31.08.2011, 11:17Posts: 637 Likes: 359

PostPosted 10.03.2012, 01:54 
Quote by stephio:
I love your answer!

what do you mean? ?( can you please clarify? are you saying that it is good news because your happy you can do advanced stuff like this just with flowgraph?

PostPosted 10.03.2012, 16:50 
Nooo! I was happy to hear that finally someone starts programming! :)
I just started AI documentation from the docs and I'm kind of ready to jump into some creature simulation, I have a small project in mind, so I was happy to hear that I can get some shared knowledge from your side if you going to share them in your tuts!
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 31.08.2011, 11:17Posts: 637 Likes: 359

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 03:54 
Quote by stephio:
I just started AI documentation from the docs and I'm kind of ready to jump into some creature simulation, I have a small project in mind, so I was happy to hear that I can get some shared knowledge from your side if you going to share them in your tuts!

Ohh Ok. Well absolutely i will be doing tutorials on these topics. one itsy bitsy bit of bad news is that i have just recently picked up a new engine "torque 3d" for use for my RTS GAME and will be developing on both engines. Its just that making an RTS is A LOT more easier done with torque then cryengine. I will be using cryengine for pretty much everything else but once i began to realize how limited that cryengine 3 is for RTS genres IF YOU DON'T KNOW C++. I began to look at alternatives for RTS. Torque 3d is an all around engine and cost only $179 For the full fledged engine plus ALL source code included and can sell your games Royalty free. If you are looking for An alternative to cryengine which in my opinions is hard to find as cryengine is simply the best, and you don't know C++ and want to use other languages, use torque 3d. I wish I could use cryengine for my rts as it would be kickass with the technology i cryengine has. But it Just isn't going to happen when there is NO GOOD or REAL documentation on the matter. If you are willing to look past this little problem then you will be pleased to know that my tutorials on rts and game development will be done on both engines!!! if you have read all this than thank you, you are one of my true supporters.

PostPosted 11.03.2012, 09:13 
Rich, I do understand your point, though I honestly don't get the idea of using Torque at all!
You mentioning that you don't know C++ but then Torque is all just code in c++, an above all is pretty much a chaos of code, admittedly well documented. At the other hand, I was testing Torque about a year ago and the performance of the engine is far from acceptable.
If you are seeking for easy and fast development I would suggest Unity (or as called wrongly Unity3D).
Better graphical performances then Torque, much easier then any engine in the market, Javascript or C# coding and above all, well documented and huge asset (any plug-in you can imagine ) support, well formed and helping community.
I was playing around one year with this engine in my spare time and I can tell you, that in a few days I've managed to write some very interesting AI's with simple and short scripting. So the easiest and best choice for you, better then Torque, for sure!!

Now it's time for me to see Cryengine.
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

PostPosted 13.03.2012, 06:48 
Rich I would encourage you to look at Cryengine again after the next update of the Free SDK. Reason being is that they added a Navigation mesh system to it. I too am developing an RTS using Cryengine 3.

However I refuse to use C++. I will however use C#.

Torque3D is the same engine they used for Tribes 2. Just with updated Graphics and Dev UI. The Same Scripting language is there (C++).

But I would Highly encourage you to look at CE3 again after the next update.

The only thing that you will lose is time. :)

PostPosted 13.03.2012, 15:44 
Quote by Benji385:
Rich I would encourage you to look at Cryengine again after the next update of the Free SDK. Reason being is that they added a Navigation mesh system to it. I too am developing an RTS using Cryengine 3.

However I refuse to use C++. I will however use C#.

Torque3D is the same engine they used for Tribes 2. Just with updated Graphics and Dev UI. The Same Scripting language is there (C++).

But I would Highly encourage you to look at CE3 again after the next update.

The only thing that you will lose is time. :)

yes i have decided that i'm sticking with cryengine, period. we just need a TON of more documentation before i will be able to work with C++ in cryengine. Here's the thing, I can write a few small programs in c++ and understand Very clearly Variables, functions, arrays, Events. Things i need work on to completely understanding them are classes, pointers "*", References "&" and the whole category of cryengine c++. One thing is for damn sure, when i open up the c++ solution, I am Immediately overwhelmed and honestly understand nothing of whats going on, not even one thing AND i don't even know where to add my code, if i can then where, and what are the functions and vars that are available to me. WHERE'S THE DOCUMENTATION? X( :mad:

Crytek This is Directly to you, Please listen to what i have to say, honestly. How Do you expect us to make video games that will be great if we are not able to understand the C++ Side of cryengine Because of Severely lacking DOCS. I mean, I LOVE this engine, it is AMAZING, but you mean to tell us all the time that documentation is in progress? Come on, there has been like 2 updates to cryengine docs in the past 5-6 months and the last docs update was just about scaleform that's it ;( I Currently make excellent tutorials on your engine that everyone seems to go crazy for and i have like 50 vids or so. So what i'm saying is that if you really wanted to you could have like 10 vids on C++ and the like up by today alone, as you clearly have some of the best programmers in the world working for you. It doesn't take that long at all and certainly not 5-6 months. Please do not look at this as offensive i just need you to know how badly i want to make an excellent RTS game and do plan on going commercial with it. I hope that i will get a clear answer to this and just wanted to say thank you for this amazing engine and allowing us "Common" folk who would have never had the money to buy an excellent engine like this to make our Ideas, Dreams, and Creations come to fruition!!! :)

PostPosted 13.03.2012, 16:03 
Quote by stephio:
Rich, I do understand your point, though I honestly don't get the idea of using Torque at all!
You mentioning that you don't know C++ but then Torque is all just code in c++, an above all is pretty much a chaos of code, admittedly well documented. At the other hand, I was testing Torque about a year ago and the performance of the engine is far from acceptable.
If you are seeking for easy and fast development I would suggest Unity (or as called wrongly Unity3D).
Better graphical performances then Torque, much easier then any engine in the market, Javascript or C# coding and above all, well documented and huge asset (any plug-in you can imagine ) support, well formed and helping community.
I was playing around one year with this engine in my spare time and I can tell you, that in a few days I've managed to write some very interesting AI's with simple and short scripting. So the easiest and best choice for you, better then Torque, for sure!!

Now it's time for me to see Cryengine.

LOL yes Torque is C++ but it uses it's proprietary language "Torque script" as well. let me put it this way, I was able to program a whole rts prototype like the one i've done with cryengine in just two days using just Code. There "Torque Script" and C++ is easy because it has Extensive Documentation and lists ALL the classes and functions available and it tells you exactly in detail what each one does. So It was something i was interested in. The reason why i have since decided not to use torque 3D is two things: 1) there user interface "editor" is a mess and there naming convention is just down right non intuitive. 2) and this is the biggest reason, THE PERFORMACE IS BAAAAAADDDDDD. There is no way that my game would work as it wouldn't be playable at the fps i was getting with just a simple scene, let alone HUGE Land/Air/Water battles, massive AI, and next gen rendering effects. I Have decided that Cryengine is where it's at even though i am disappointed in the overall Documentation department!!!!! Thanks for caring. :)
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 528Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

PostPosted 13.03.2012, 19:24 
Hey, I am really Glad you are staying with us rich :)

I am currently in Pre-Production of my RTS.

I will post something soon to help you out get started with C++.

Ben

PostPosted 14.03.2012, 00:27 
Quote by Benji385:
Hey, I am really Glad you are staying with us rich :)

I am currently in Pre-Production of my RTS.

I will post something soon to help you out get started with C++.

Ben

thanks alot!!! keep me posted on your RTS :)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.09.2011, 03:28Posts: 42Location: Danville, KyStatus: Online Likes: 2

PostPosted 19.03.2012, 01:21 
Hey, Big fan of yours rich and glad you didn't switch off to torque. Love Torque, used it myself for a long long time. But Cryengine in my opinion is the next generation. I agree with you about the documentation, wish it was more complete and no totally reliant on the users here to create our own but as i see it at the moment, there isn't a way to publish our games from cryengine yet, meaning it isn't really a Complete engine for us. So like every here, i'll just have to wait it out and hope we will see more complete documentation soon so that when we can publish, we will be ready to. Proper documentation can turn a novice into a pro.

Jeremy Cable
Skype - Liminosse

www.Cable.portfoliobox.me
----------------------------
Nothing is perfect, but if you try hard enough you can get pretty close.

PostPosted 22.03.2012, 14:58 
Quote by stephio:

Happy To Announce That Today is The day I Do A Tutorial On Programming in cryengine with C++. I Am 100% Positive this will be the first cryengine c++ tutorial on the entire internet unless you count the one by "JustMakeGames" where all they do is change a "cvar". So Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.10.2008, 11:28Posts: 388Location: India Likes: 1

PostPosted 22.03.2012, 16:59 
Quote by Richmar1:
I Am 100% Positive this will be the first cryengine c++ tutorial on the entire internet So Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

wiki/index.php/Category:C%2B%2B_Samples
wiki/index.php/Category:C%2B%2B

:rolleyes:

RE

PostPosted 22.03.2012, 17:28 
Quote by Rover Eye:
Quote by Richmar1:
I Am 100% Positive this will be the first cryengine c++ tutorial on the entire internet So Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P

wiki/index.php/Category:C%2B%2B_Samples
wiki/index.php/Category:C%2B%2B

:rolleyes:

RE

You've got to be kidding me right??? lol. Those are not real tutorials they are just code snippets and do not teach you anything. they say "do this because". they do not explain how to call those functions, where to put your code, how to create your own functions, how to use pointers to access cryengine's interfaces, explain why do those things, how to set up visual studio, or where to begin with cryengine code. While they could be helpful for SOME in creating very specific things. To Most they are absolutely useless. If not then why is there nothing on the web or why are people ALWAYS asking for C++ tutorials if all they had to do was go to the links you provided. :rolleyes:
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.12.2011, 22:43Posts: 20Location: Canada Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.03.2012, 01:12 
Your tutorials are awesome, I'll be following this tutorial and many of your other Cry Engine tutorials very closely. Thank you!