Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 30.06.2011, 13:37Posts: 460Location: Ottawa, Ontario - Canada Likes: 4

Post Topic: Re: Huge Computer Upgrade - What Do You Think?
PostPosted 29.02.2012, 09:15 
super computers can use Nvidia Arm Technology so yes it could run games
They use the jaguar to render Cinematic for and simulations games it takes an hour a frame. :)

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 04:36Posts: 3111Location: The Internet Likes: 95

PostPosted 29.02.2012, 23:21 
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by doomlord52:
Why not wait for the NV6 or 7 series in a few months? They're supposedly a LOT faster than anything out there, and by then Ivy will be out as well. Buying stuff now makes no sense.

Supposedly the only improvement Ivy has over Sandy is power consumption.

Oh and more PCIe lanes and memory lanes.

Lower power = lower heat = higher overclock = better performance
Apparently the test-batch CPUs are hitting 100% overclock (~7ghz) on H100's (pre-built liquid cooling loop, ~$100).

The benefits are there. They're out in a few months, might as well wait.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.07.2011, 04:14Posts: 585Location: The TyTilian Core Likes: 2

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 05:01 
Quote by doomlord52:
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by doomlord52:
Why not wait for the NV6 or 7 series in a few months? They're supposedly a LOT faster than anything out there, and by then Ivy will be out as well. Buying stuff now makes no sense.

Supposedly the only improvement Ivy has over Sandy is power consumption.

Oh and more PCIe lanes and memory lanes.

Lower power = lower heat = higher overclock = better performance
Apparently the test-batch CPUs are hitting 100% overclock (~7ghz) on H100's (pre-built liquid cooling loop, ~$100).

The benefits are there. They're out in a few months, might as well wait.

I'll wait and see what they are like when they come out. I want to compare the different components and prices when they are available to make sure I get the best system for my money :P
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 12:17 
Well, double Overclock does NEVER really double the performance..
Overclock must be tested on every single model to see on which one does it really bring some benefits.
Anyway, I can reach 5.00Ghz with a 180€ i5-2500K.. i see no reasons to go higher, not for Gaming nor for Engine SDK. :D

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 17.07.2011, 04:14Posts: 585Location: The TyTilian Core Likes: 2

PostPosted 01.03.2012, 16:24 
Quote by DevilDante:
Overclock must be tested on every single model to see on which one does it really bring some benefits.
Anyway, I can reach 5.00Ghz with a 180€ i5-2500K.. i see no reasons to go higher, not for Gaming nor for Engine SDK. :D

Yeah, I would be more than happy with 5GHz on my next CPU. My 930 is good, but won't go past 4.2GHz :( I see no reason to go higher than 5GHz either. In fact the only way I would go higher is if my CPU was bottlenecking my GPUs, especially if I go with 4 way SLI GTX 680s :P

PostPosted 15.03.2012, 15:06 
Hey everyone; just thought I would update you all with the latest happenings of my rig.

I have bought some new bigger desks and new AC and finally bought all the other parts I wanted except for the GPUs.

I now have two cases that I have modded and joined together as one large case; they are the Cooler Master HAF 932 and the Cooler Master HAF X. The HAF 932 houses my GPUs,some of my HDDs and the 750w PSU. The HAF X houses the CPU, RAM, Motherboard, the rest of my HDDs and 1200w PSU. Here are my current specs:

{EDIT - I changed the HDD config between cases}

[In the HAF X]
CPU – Intel Core i7 3930K @ 5GHz
CPU Cooler – Noctua NH-D14
RAM – 32GB DDR3 @ 2000MHz
PSU – Antec 1200w
HDDs – 5x400GB HDDs
Motherboard – Asus Rampage IV Extreme

[In the HAF 932]
GPUs – 2x Nvidia GTX 470s in SLI
HDDs – 3x2TB HDDs, 1x1.5TB HDD and 1x1TB HDD
PSU – Antec 750w

I can't decide if I should go and get 3 or 4 GTX 680s (4GB versions) or wait for the GK110 GPUs :S Either way I will probably use one of my GTX 470s as a PhysX card.

I will post a few pics of my new setup soon for those of you who are interested. :)

PS. I updated the OP with this info, any other progress with my system will be updated in the OP too when it happens :P

Last edited by zirakuta on 10.05.2012, 16:47, edited 2 times in total.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 07.01.2012, 13:00Posts: 396 Likes: 1

PostPosted 15.03.2012, 15:56 
Those screens are way to big to sit at and play games... I i currently use a single 32" screen and thats the biggest i would want to go if sitting in front of it like a normal PC.. If i decided to get another two screens i would probally drop down to 3 x 24" but each to their own i guess...

looks like an awesome rig :)

Some 3D Models I have done.
http://dragon3d.webs.com
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 04:36Posts: 3111Location: The Internet Likes: 95

PostPosted 15.03.2012, 16:43 
Quote by DevilDante:

The reason is "because you can". Its been rumored that the Ivy-Bridge equivalent of the 2600k (i.e. almost top-tier CPU) can hit 6ghz on AIR. Under water its probably going to push 7ghz, which is just insane.
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 10.03.2008, 10:51Posts: 3474Location: earth (australia realy) human:no not realy Likes: 1

PostPosted 15.03.2012, 17:28 
I dont get why you're placeing components in a secondary case.
more to the point, the graphics cards.
have you thought about how they're going to be connected and supported?
yes, you can get riser/ribboncable extensions, however you may run into problems if the cable is too long, also the cables will need to go from case to case, so slots/holes would need to be cut.
and then supporting them, most graphics cards arnt supported well enough in normal situations, but if they arnt supported by the motherboard (pcie slot supports them a decent amount) they're probebly going to sag, bend and break off from the back of the case.

the only slight postive thing i see from relocating the graphics to a secondary space, is cooling, however in something like a HAF X i think it isnt neccisary.

though with that many hdds in raid (y u no SSD) i can understand getting some kinda external raidbox or such

though, if you do get this up and running, pics or it didnt happen :D

PostPosted 15.03.2012, 23:33 
Quote by metal-matt:
I dont get why you're placeing components in a secondary case.
more to the point, the graphics cards.
have you thought about how they're going to be connected and supported?
yes, you can get riser/ribboncable extensions, however you may run into problems if the cable is too long, also the cables will need to go from case to case, so slots/holes would need to be cut.
and then supporting them, most graphics cards arnt supported well enough in normal situations, but if they arnt supported by the motherboard (pcie slot supports them a decent amount) they're probebly going to sag, bend and break off from the back of the case.

the only slight postive thing i see from relocating the graphics to a secondary space, is cooling, however in something like a HAF X i think it isnt neccisary.

though with that many hdds in raid (y u no SSD) i can understand getting some kinda external raidbox or such

though, if you do get this up and running, pics or it didnt happen :D

They way I did it was: I removed the part of the HAF 932 that you would mount the motherboard on and also removed the side covers off the respective sides of the HAF 932 and the HAF X. The HAF 932 now has a big open space that you can see directly through to the HAF X. I took a few nuts and bolts and bolted the HAF 932 and the HAF X together so now they basically function like one large, deep case. As for supporting the graphics cards, that is no problem. I built me a custom metal rack that I have the GPUs screwed into. (Going to have to build another one when I get my new GPUs). It screws into each corner of the card and offers really good support whilst also offering far better airflow than if they were connected to the motherboard. I am using PCI-E ribbon extender cables, they are about 20cm long; I have seen no decrease in performance at all, so I am sure that there is nothing to worry about there.

The reason I did this is for superior airflow. At the moment there is not too much of a benefit as I only have 2x GTX 470s with custom coolers, but when I get my 3x or 4x GTX 680s I would hate to have them all sandwiched in one case, especially considering the fact that I will have everything cooled by air as I hate water cooling (I just get paranoid by the thought of liquid running around between my expensive components). :P I have my CPU OCed at 5GHz on air and at idle it is around 30 to 35 degrees Celsius and full load it runs at about 65 degrees Celsius. I think this is because there are no GPUs beneath it that have hot air rising up as they are in the other case. Also I have a fair few extra fans in each case which ensure perfect airflow. Also with having as many HDDs as I have distributing them over two cases is a good thing or they can ruin the air flow if they are all in one case. And I do have an SSD, just got it a few weeks ago, it is only a little 60GB thing, but it is pretty cool (I use it as the boot drive in my hackint0sh). :p Though I do much still prefer my RAID 0 setup as it is pretty fast and I have plenty of space to install all my stuff.

In short, the reasons I did this are: 1) because I thought it would be fun to try it, 2) because I wanted my components to run fast and cool (also have their lifespan increased because of the lower temperature).

And if I have time today I will post a few pics of the setup :) Though I am not sure if I want to ruin the surprise of how the inside of the cases look yet or if I should rather wait until I get my new GPUs first.

Quote by commando2012:
Those screens are way to big to sit at and play games... I i currently use a single 32" screen and thats the biggest i would want to go if sitting in front of it like a normal PC.. If i decided to get another two screens i would probally drop down to 3 x 24" but each to their own i guess...

looks like an awesome rig :)

I sit about a metre and a half to two metres away from them when playing games. That is the perfect distance as it allows my peripheral vision to pick of the side monitors perfectly and allows me to become fully immersed in the game. When working, however, I only site about a metre away.

When I first got these screens I used to get a headache after a few minutes of using them, but after a week or so I got used to them and when I try to use a smaller screen or a single monitor I feel very restricted. When you get used to 3 large monitors like this there is no going back. :p
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 8

PostPosted 16.03.2012, 18:22 
How much did your system cost?

PostPosted 18.03.2012, 06:04 
Quote by NeoLegends:
How much did your system cost?

I am not sure of the total of all of it, but my last upgrade was just under $2000 :p

PostPosted 18.03.2012, 06:12 
Just another quick update: I was having huge problems with my RAID setup, so I bought another 2TB HDD and disabled RAID on the 400GB HDDs. I am now using the 400GB HDDs as data drives and the 2TB is taking the place of my 1.5TB as a data drive and the 1.5TB is now my new system drive. So lets see how this works :P
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 18.03.2012, 07:26 
Gees man, wanna throw one of those massive drives my way? :P
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 30.06.2011, 13:37Posts: 460Location: Ottawa, Ontario - Canada Likes: 4

PostPosted 19.03.2012, 11:35 
2 cases what a silly waist of money why not just buy a Server case it would still be larger then 2 gaming pc's tethered together.