Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.12.2007, 19:42Posts: 640 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Far Cry 1 Vs Crysis Vs Crysis 2
PostPosted 22.03.2012, 23:38 
Which do you feel is Crytek's best game and why?

For me, I'm torn between Crysis and Far Cry. Both had similar settings - Crysis had levels that felt much bigger in Scale and made me really feel I was on a giant island, but one one hand Far Cry had more satisfying stealth mechanics (IMO) and more rewards for exploration, and on the harder difficulties employing various strategies and planning your route was sometimes needed - but Crysis's cloaking ability negated the need for that which takes away from the reason to do it.

On the other hand, however, Crysis's goal seems to be to make you feel like a supersoldier, whereas Far Cry's goal was for you to try and survive - and running and gunning is a lot more satisfying in Crysis then it was in Far Cry. (although the small pistol in Crysis was sort of disappointing compared to the FC deagle) The nanosuit did make the game more than just a Far Cry remake, because the strategies would come in in the form of how to employ the suit modes which were quite well implemented, as well as the use of physics objects as optional weapons and distractions were another nice touch.

Crysis 2 is the weaker of the 3 games in terms of making you feel your tactical choices are meaningful because the choices you can make are usually highlighted for you or downplayed due to the setting, but it has excellent weapons and in general has the best "feel" for the shooting of the three - even if the Nanosuit was downplayed. I do however miss the stealthing of Crysis with strength punching and grabbing the koreans, and Crysis 2 was also missing the range of motion from FC and Crysis. I liked being able to prone and lean whenever - and I really detest contextual conver systems. Something about them just feels artifical to me. I'd rather have a button to enter a "lean mode" maybe, where you could move the mouse to lean a certain way. Grabbing and throwing soldiers in Crysis 2 just wasn't as fun because you couldn't slam them through shacks and poorly constructed houses. I do like how in Crysis 2 when the aliens come you can still make tactical choices whereas in FC and Crysis 1 those disappeared with the appearance of the Trigens and Aliens respectively. That being said, I feel Crysis 2's aliens are poorly designed. They are too "robotic" looking and not really intimidating at all.

Overall I might actually say Far Cry is my favorite. Crysis has better visuals and is probably more fun to "play" but I like the feeling i get from how tactics play a big role in Far Cry. Plus, Far Cry was the longest game of the three. If Crysis didn't have cloak mode however it would probably be much more like Far Cry. I could run through the game without cloak, but doing so knowing I can use it at any time just feels dumb to me. All this being said, I definitely enjoy playing Crysis more - but Far Cry just has that rewarding feel when you do things that Crysis is lacking.

So yeah, what's your favorite Crytek game and why?

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1641 Likes: 197

Post Topic: Re: Far Cry 1 Vs Crysis Vs Crysis 2
PostPosted 22.03.2012, 23:48 
Quote by Cleric:

Their best game not yet released.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 18.08.2011, 15:08Posts: 523Location: Canada Likes: 2

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 00:11 
Quote by Plastix:
Quote by Cleric:

Harsh. All CryTek games are good, plus, they brought YOU (and more importantly, me) THE POWER OF CRYENGINE!

Quote:
[1:49:53 PM] fedayk1ntr: Join the Dark side
[1:50:04 PM} themodman101: You may have cookies, but we have all the milk.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.12.2007, 19:42Posts: 640 Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 01:52 
Quote by Plastix:
Quote by Cleric:

So you didn't like any of their games? And fyi, typically these types of questions are directed towards past releases. As much as you may dislike all of them, there has to be something that stands out in 1 of them over the others for you, because they are fairly different games.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 20.04.2005, 00:16Posts: 572 Likes: 4

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 02:56 
Quote by Cleric:
Crysis 2 [...] has excellent weapons and in general has the best "feel" for the shooting of the three

I do not agree on any of these statements.
Quote by Cleric:
That being said, I feel Crysis 2's aliens are poorly designed. They are too "robotic" looking and not really intimidating at all.
Robotic is not a right description. They are... cartoony. And we thought Crysis 1 aliens were bad. Crysis 2 proved that they can be even worse. Trigens bad design we can forgive, because Far Cry was rushed and it was their first game.

Quote by Cleric:
So yeah, what's your favorite Crytek game and why?
Far Cry and Crysis1. Crysis 2 sucked so bad that it was sad. Reason for suckiness is obvious. It starts with a "C" and ends with a "S". It is not "cocks" btw. I'm not sure which one is better FC or Crysis1. Hard to say... you know Far Cry had awesome HUMAN VS HUMAN gameplay, but Crysis has that high quality wibe to it and interaction with the world. Hard to decide, but I would go with Far Cry, because the gameplay was right. Crysis1 nanocloak on the other hand, was not so much fun for me.

I wonder where Crytek will go from there...

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 03:14 
Crysis 2 probably had the best feel, but I hated the weapon position, so i put draw near fov to 80. Which made things better, and maldo textures + DX11, made the game look really good. I think Crysis 2 could be the best if I ever get around to making all the levels more open world like, but for now im not sure. I have the steam version of crysis, and can't get mods to work on it, because of the complicated process for adding mods on steam games, but If i could, i would say that crysis 1 is the best

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 03:22 
I would love to see them go for something more expansive - they mentioned CE3 has support for infinite streaming worlds right? Why not have Crysis 3 in the vein of a true sequel have a TON of locales you travel to that are done in real time - like lingshan all in one level. That would be pretty awesome. And the hang glider needs to make a comeback.

In regards to Crysis 2, I do think it was consolized quite a bit, but when I meant the feel, I meant the weapon animations and the enemy reactions to being shot. Even though I was largely disappointed by it I enjoyed the shooting and doing things like punching an enemy in the balls and having him grab them I found cool (and funny). Crysis 1's weapons were kinda robotic when it came to animations, and I thought the sounds for automatic weapons weren't that good either. Something I noticed about Far Cry and Crysis, when you switch to semi-auto firemode - the weapon sounds are excellent, they sound like real guns. But on automatic they sound wrong. Maybe it's because they used an "automatic" sound which doesn't cut off well when you shoot 1 bullet on full-auto.

And the SOCOM didn't even sound like a pistol to me, it almost sounded like a machine.

@The Magnumman357 - you can't put mods in your "mods" folder on the steam version like you can in the retail Crysis?
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5200 Likes: 253

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 05:38 
Farcry > Crysis1 > Crysis2

And Warhead is the best as game.
Most well balanced game is Warhead in Crytek history.
Farcry, Crysis1 & Crysis2 have big problems.

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 06:08 
Far Cry 1 had pretty awesome music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbk8WeQU0rc

So did Crysis 1, but Far Cry was much more action oriented it seems. Warhead kinda reminds me of Far Cry in that regard.

Speaking of Far Cry, has anyone ported any of the campaign levels from FC1 to Crysis?
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1641 Likes: 197

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 07:59 
Quote by Cleric:
So you didn't like any of their games? And fyi, typically these types of questions are directed towards past releases. As much as you may dislike all of them, there has to be something that stands out in 1 of them over the others for you, because they are fairly different games.

There is a big difference for me between "best of...." and "i like..." :) I like Crysis/Warhead, but i can call this game the best because of many reasons, but i like it. I hope someday i can answer to this question like this: [game] is the best of all Cryteks games.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 08:13 
Quote by Cleric:
I would love to see them go for something more expansive - they mentioned CE3 has support for infinite streaming worlds right? Why not have Crysis 3 in the vein of a true sequel have a TON of locales you travel to that are done in real time - like lingshan all in one level. That would be pretty awesome. And the hang glider needs to make a comeback.

In regards to Crysis 2, I do think it was consolized quite a bit, but when I meant the feel, I meant the weapon animations and the enemy reactions to being shot. Even though I was largely disappointed by it I enjoyed the shooting and doing things like punching an enemy in the balls and having him grab them I found cool (and funny). Crysis 1's weapons were kinda robotic when it came to animations, and I thought the sounds for automatic weapons weren't that good either. Something I noticed about Far Cry and Crysis, when you switch to semi-auto firemode - the weapon sounds are excellent, they sound like real guns. But on automatic they sound wrong. Maybe it's because they used an "automatic" sound which doesn't cut off well when you shoot 1 bullet on full-auto.

And the SOCOM didn't even sound like a pistol to me, it almost sounded like a machine.

@The Magnumman357 - you can't put mods in your "mods" folder on the steam version like you can in the retail Crysis?

there isn't a mods folder on the steam version :(

But i know people have added mods to the steam version, so its possible....

I have tried adding it to different folders, and i got it to show up in the mods section in the crysis game, but it still wont load it. Im extremely upset about this, because crysis is incredible modded....

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 16:29 
Quote by modsuki:
Farcry > Crysis1 > Crysis2

And Warhead is the best as game.
Most well balanced game is Warhead in Crytek history.
Farcry, Crysis1 & Crysis2 have big problems.

Agree 100%

But I dont like in Farcry is that you can not AIM the weapon properly like you can in Crysis with the right button of the mouse...And the cartoonish style of the third person view when you are driving a vehicle..you can see that the character hands doesnt move..

I want a remake with the same gameplay, the same plot ,same characters, but different more realistic models and textures!!!

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 17:28 
Quote by Plastix:
Quote by Cleric:

There is a big difference for me between "best of...." and "i like..." :) I like Crysis/Warhead, but i can call this game the best because of many reasons, but i like it. I hope someday i can answer to this question like this: [game] is the best of all Cryteks games.

Even so, you should be able to answer it - I'm not comparing Crysis or FC to ID games or other companies, just to Cryteks own games - so of their existing games, which one was the "best"? That doesn't mean it's the best game ever, just the game that they've released that you've enjoyed the most.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 21:48 
Actually, I don't like threads about which game is better than one other and such, I think all games are fun and worth to be played, this is what I've been brought to think lately.. I think I've become much more open-minded than I was before and now i can appreciate every single game for a specific reason.

That's why I think this Thread is useless yet what you're saying is very right, you're giving precise definitions of what you like and what you don't like for each of those games, and that's good and very important imho. :)

I like all of them and I'd speak more about ''evolution'' rather than ''Far Cry -> Crysis -> Crysis 2'' or ''Crysis 2 -> Crysis -> Far Cry'', Crytek just focused more on some parts in developing Far Cry, Crysis or Crysis 2 and I think they're all great when analyzed individually... I just can't find a way to compare them, they're all different games in my opinion. :)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 28.01.2009, 20:54Posts: 2050Location: Under Ruan's bed. Likes: 1

PostPosted 23.03.2012, 22:53 
I didn't particularly enjoy Farcry 1 for the rather boss fights, and the trigens. It started well, but then.. it just started getting silly really.

Crysis 1 was great for the open world mechanics, but despite what people say, at the end of the day, it still was done in a way that the level designer would channel you through certain paths to get to your goals. Art of a good level designers I guess. Although, still had it flaws with optimisation, and how long it took to kill a target (a full magazine for a grunt? Possibly overkill.)

I enjoyed Crysis 2 for the weapon mechanics, and the feel of the environments - as they felt meatier, and more realistic in a way. The story was much more indepth, and the game felt more like it was driven by the plot than its predessor. Of course, the downside was the lack of "open world" gameplay that many liked about Crysis 1.

Its all about personal preference, but I liked Crysis 2 for the more in depth plot, and meatier feel to the gameplay. Each has its good stuff, and its bad mind.

CryDev's professional troll.