Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Far Cry 1 Vs Crysis Vs Crysis 2
PostPosted 24.03.2012, 22:53 
Crysis 1 by far. I bought a graphics demo and got a really fun game bundled with it for free. :V

Far Cry always suffered from a lack of proper stealthing options, Yahtzee's words on x-ray vision ring true. MP was a blast tho. In contrast I always felt powerstruggle wasn't really up to scratch. Clumsy if you will.

Crysis 2... yugh. There's just too much to even begin, from the massive plotholes to the awful art direction, terrible cutscene oriented "gameplay" aka watch a first person animation for 10 minutes every level before getting to the action.
While I enjoyed MP, the netcode is simply broken, just like everything else in the game. Once you really start to dig into the mechanics nothing works the way it's supposed to. And I do mean nothing. The game is not functional.

Big promises, zero effort. I think next time you should spend less time on trailers, cutscenes, self important science fiction writers and film composers and more time on the actual game.

User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 16.06.2008, 22:11Posts: 4307Location: Oulu, Finland Likes: 7

PostPosted 24.03.2012, 23:30 
Hmmm...

Far Cry had best novelty value, Crysis was gorgeous with a bit different gameplay and Crysis 2 somewhat arcade.

Far Cry was most fun in its time  :happy:

Zip-line release 2012-04-24 (for CE2 & CE3) · C1 mod project: A mod called Entry
Assets · Blender: Destroyable object tutorial for CryBlend

- currently lost in New Eden -
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 01.07.2011, 21:28Posts: 436 Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.03.2012, 23:35 
Crysis > Far Cry > Crysis 2.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.12.2007, 19:42Posts: 640 Likes: 0

PostPosted 25.03.2012, 02:26 
I think this is the best video as to illustrate why C1 is the most "fun" when it comes to actually playing. It may not have the smooth presentation of other games, but when you can do **** like this in addition to it being open world, it makes it all the better

User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 5202Status: Online Likes: 253

PostPosted 25.03.2012, 05:43 
Crytek make mistake everytime. They don't notice(fix) the problems that we can notice easily.
So many people say techdemo. Crytek must consider game design. I'm sad as fan.

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 15.12.2007, 19:42Posts: 640 Likes: 0

PostPosted 25.03.2012, 07:49 
Playing the original Far Cry. The stealth may not be perfect, but it works well enough. Hiding in a bush with a machete waiting for Mercs to patrol by is fun.

I think C1's weapons lacked the "punch" that FC's did. I liked some of them but a lot of them were just there, but in FC I love most of the weapons, including the pistol - my favorite is the P90 though, the sound is great. And the AWP sniper has an amazing sound.

EDIT: haha yes, someone did make fort and pier in Crysis:
http://crysis.filefront.com/file/FC_Fort;104487
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5482Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 163

PostPosted 25.03.2012, 08:53 
To be perfectly honest, I didn't like Far Cry 1 at all. I thought the plot was silly, and the whole game was laughable. The game was massively annoying and unrealistic, and it pissed me off every step of the way. I figured that when I was in an intense battle that if I dove inside a barrack tent I could be safe for a bit, but no, apparently the enemy bullets can shoot through the tent (somewhat realistic) but they could still see me (exactly unrealistic), their accuracy was better (nonsensical) and I could not see them back (duh). Tents are freaking death traps. There were some parts that provided an enjoyable challenge, but for the most part I found the game to just be annoying, repetitive and plotless.

Crysis on the other hand I loved to death, especially Warhead. Crysis had this fantastic and "big" feel to it. The game was HUGE. I don't mean huge as in lengthy or expansive, but I mean the setting and the way you traveled through it - no corners were cut. I think by the third and fourth levels it did start to feel a little bit repetitive with the constant similar setting, but each of those four also had their great moments: 1) The introduction to Contact is epic, and the middle portion is fun as hell; 2) Recovery had a great tank fighting scene, especially when you camp out in the gas station and then blow it up; 3) The night portion and ending to Relic were mysterious and creepy, especially the part where you're driving a boat away from the helicopter that chases you downstream and when you fight the Korean Nanosoldiers; 4) It was so incredibly satisfying blowing everything up in Assault, especially the AAA's, Korean watchtowers, and of course that awesome scene where you bomb the watership with an airstrike. After that, Onslaught was freaking beastly, and every level that followed was a non-stop chain of plot twists and crazy level design that lead up to the number one most epic final two levels I have ever seen in a game to date. How is that? Well in Ascension you're flying a VTOL through the clouds, dodging tornadoes and mountains while fleeing an expanding sphere of ice. Then in Reckoning, you get to watch the island you spent the whole game on get nuked, and then you fight face-to-face a gigantic forty-foot quadrupedal beast-of-an-alien that you fire rockets and Gauss bullets at it while dodging its ice blasts and the various objects it throws at you - like that VTOL it grabs out of the sky and chucks at your face. THEN, IT ISN'T OVER. YOU GET TO TAKE DOWN A MOTHERSHIP WITH AN EFFING NUKE GUN FFS. Wow. And if that wasn't enough to melt your face, the final cutscene shows your entire aircraft carrier and the mothership getting sucked into a whirlpool, and then the ocean basically explodes. On another note, I really liked the aliens. They were creative and unique in my opinion, and I don't know why so many hate them. Their animations were detailed and very well done, probably some of the best I've seen in any game. On top of that, the glowing exosuits are slickly sweet.

In Warhead, there isn't a lot to say other than the fact that it's so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so damn fun. The entire game is basically a rollercoaster of action, varied gameplay and creative level design. Oh and did I mention the vehicle scenes? They were so well executed, and probably the best parts. Every single moment of this game was almost perfect, and I couldn't ask for anything more.... That is, except for the final level, which in my opinion was honestly one of the most uninteresting parts of the game. Sure there was fighting, lots and lots of fighting, but compared to the rest of the game it was nothing, and compared to the ending of Crysis 1, it was certainly nothing. It sort of built up the entire game consistently, through all six levels, before it came to an extremely exciting climax, and I couldn't believe my eyes during the cutscene with Psycho, the exploding train, Kim Sun, and the drowning Korean, but then it sort of rolled off at the end without much of an impact. But holy ****, that was one fun game that I could play a million times over.

Crysis 2 now I found to be a bit of a letdown, but not too much of a letdown. I'll start off with the good: The game feels detailed as hell and the atmosphere is amazing; it literally felt like I was inside apocalyptic New York, and the land I was standing on could crack apart at any moment. The weapons are great as well, and the story is suspenseful and edgy, something that really kept me on my feet. The length was also a smashing bonus, because it really had an amazingly satisfying and creative ending despite the lack of a final boss battle. It was definitely a memorable game, and when replayed, it's even more fun than the first time. Now the not-so-good: The game doesn't have that sane "big" feeling I previously mentioned Crysis had, but it does feel a lot bigger than other games such as Battlefield and CoD (now I know some people might say that Battlefield was a big game, but it to me honestly didn't cut the cake, and it felt rather average despite having larger landscapes). Crysis 2 also suffered from consolization - don't say it didn't, it did. I don't mean that as in limiting itself for console specifications, but I mean that it gave into what the common console gamer wants, which is meaty, ball-blazing action, and that's exactly what Crysis 2 was. Also, I know the second last level was trying to pay a tribute to Onslaught from Crysis 1, but the fact that you couldn't take the driver's seat kind of blew it.

So for me, it goes:

Crysis Warhead > Crysis > Crysis 2 > Far Cry
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.10.2011, 02:04Posts: 1516Location: Tulsa, OK Likes: 21

PostPosted 25.03.2012, 09:52 
Quote by Cleric:
I think this is the best video as to illustrate why C1 is the most "fun" when it comes to actually playing. It may not have the smooth presentation of other games, but when you can do **** like this in addition to it being open world, it makes it all the better

I just realized why i dont have fun with crysis, its because i play with vsync, and it feels sluggish with it. Definitely gonna try to play without it.

"The DAY AFTER" set in an open world Chicago and NY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... DOjN0mAfGQ
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 01:36 
The reason why Crysis 2 sucks is because Crytek is not a real independent company.
The Crysis franchise belongs to EA,Crytek is only an employee...Is what that the industrial world call "outsourcing".. When a company pay to another company for to do the job.

Crytek need to be a REAL independent company with its own IP...No more EA...No more Crysis.
But , if the things a going like this, Crytek will fall the same fate of DICE...It WAS an Independent company, until it was bought by EA...something similar happened with ID software...

The Yerly brothers lost their essence

If you want something well done, do it you self...especialy if you have the money for that.
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5482Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 163

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 05:03 
Quote by Psychoisalive:
The reason why Crysis 2 sucks is because Crytek is not a real independent company.
The Crysis franchise belongs to EA,Crytek is only an employee...Is what that the industrial world call "outsourcing".. When a company pay to another company for to do the job.

Crytek need to be a REAL independent company with its own IP...No more EA...No more Crysis.
But , if the things a going like this, Crytek will fall the same fate of DICE...It WAS an Independent company, until it was bought by EA...something similar happened with ID software...

The Yerly brothers lost their essence

If you want something well done, do it you self...especialy if you have the money for that.

I very much agree with this post. They aren't an independent group anymore, and it's truthfully almost insulting to all the other hardworking indie developers when Crytek continues to call themselves one.

After the first CryEngine3 footage was shown at GDC 09, from then on they haven't exactly set a very good example. They need to break free of this unbalanced bond they've created with overarching companies such as EA and Ubisoft, and publish themselves. Otherwise, they won't ever become the driving force behind a new generation of games like they had been with Crysis 1.
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 08:04 
Crysis1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crysis2

Crysis1 :

-open map, really do what you want, go where you want even if you havent the choose to finish each map.
nice level design, even if 90% of the map are in the jungle
Real freedom
-Many possibilities with all the vehicles, better immersion.
-More realist feeling with the nanosuit mode
-I really liked the Aliens ( flying ones / hunter.. etc )
-Powerstruggle !
-Huge modding ability, with a total freedom.
-Really less bug / problem like in Crysis2
-More tweak by default ! ( keyboard / game option / visual option.. etc etc )

Crysis2 :

-Weapons design
-Their new light system, allowing really nice realist visual. ( but we loose the spot light effect >< )
-Enemy hit localization
-Physics improvement
-Heavy land / stealth kill / slide, its not a revolution in the fps world, but its nice.
-beeing able to speed run and strengh jump is not a bad idea.
-kick cars is a fun idea

After that.. i guess ( for me ) its all what i like in Crysis2

-the story is pretty bad, hero who save the world, and cant speak with a low justification with the story to get a half life hero... well...
-Map too small : hallway - largest place ( with crapy fight ) - hallway - largest place.. etc
NewYork feel so small, look like you are playing in a small-scale model town, no way to go where you want = immersion 0
-Too many hud warning in the middle of your screen ( are we really so stupid to not be able to read the nanosuit hud )
-Aliens are definitely not charismatic
-nanosuit 2 is.. hm.. ugly, look like you are playing with a elephant
-No end game boss, what the hell thoses 3 aliens as end boss. lol ! whitout speaking of how hey easyly bug to finaly not move around the place.
-perk stuff, booring ! or not enough imagination to make it fun.
-Where are the vehicle ?
-Where are the tweakable nanosuit mod !?
-Where is the prone !?
-Nanosuit 2 cant climb a ladder ?
-Where is the normal sprint ?
-Where are the barehand ?
-What the hell with the sun, when you look it, he turn 20time bigger...
Sun ray was really better in Crysis1
-All Crysis1 aliens disapear because of.... a Gandalf spell ?
-Nearly no usage of the physic, bad ragdoll config when you throw a enemy to another one.
-Nearly no game option.... bad keyboard / mouse config ability.
-Downgraded terrain LOD / painting
-Too much limitation for modding.
-Awfull boring MP
-MANY bug unsolved ( really too many )

Ok lets stop here.

For Farcy.. hm, its too old, but the nearly really open world was really amazing !
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 17:36 
Actually, I think EA owns only Crysis IP rights over Crytek and Ubisoft is an indipendent company too.
Your discussion just has no sense, though it's true that once a small or indipendent company releases a good product and get high revenue, they will start to think more about business than real products.. but that's obvious, I mean, that's what our whole society is built on.
That's not necessarily bad, but it surely isn't useful to customers, yet you can still choose between one product or another and pick which one you think is the best one without thinking too much about who manufactured/distributed it.
New indipendent companies will be born in the future and release another good product and then become a business company. <- that's how it works.

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 22:08 
Quote by DevilDante:
Actually, I think EA owns only Crysis IP rights over Crytek and Ubisoft is an indipendent company too.
Your discussion just has no sense, though it's true that once a small or indipendent company releases a good product and get high revenue, they will start to think more about business than real products.. but that's obvious, I mean, that's what our whole society is built on.
That's not necessarily bad, but it surely isn't useful to customers, yet you can still choose between one product or another and pick which one you think is the best one without thinking too much about who manufactured/distributed it.
New indipendent companies will be born in the future and release another good product and then become a business company. <- that's how it works.

Ubisoft is an independent company. Crytek is not. Our argument makes perfect sense.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 14.03.2008, 21:31Posts: 1760 Likes: 38

PostPosted 26.03.2012, 23:14 
I think RayFans description is very good. Liked reading that and agree a lot.
In the short term I had more fun with Crysis 2 than with Crysis 1, though I agree that the first one is generally a better game.

Before I continue writing, I just want to make clear, that Crytek is by no means as dependent on EA regarding the Crysis franchise as everyone likes to assume. Of the few so called "EA-partner" developers, they are probably at the top when it comes to freedom of design. It's safe to say that most of the changes going from C1 to C2 were Crytek's idea - not EAs!

Back to topic - I think every game really is a part of it's time.

Far Cry really has great old-school shooting mechanics and emphasis on action-oriented level design. Fast, skill-based and long. I like Far Cry for what it does.

Crysis is part of a newer "aim down the sights, more realism in movement and health" Kind of FPS. It was a part of the 2007 shooter Evolution ( last Unreal, but Stalker, COD etc. making a big splash). Like these other shooters it stood at the beginning of a new generation in graphics technology - this is clearly undeniable (think Unreal Engine and how good COD looked compared to anything else). Also notice how the level design generally focuses more on how something is actually build than how it would be fun to play.
It had altered FarCry mechanics and great gameplay and for what it is I like it very much.

Crysis 2 clearly is a shooter of the current generation at the end of the console cycle. I guess I don't have to explain a whole lot about this. What became important are greatly varying level locations - coherence and links between do not matter as much as long as it does not look like the last one. Polished weapons and great sound and a semi-realistic story with a twist or two are a must.
Crysis 2 delivers on that and for what it does, I like it.

I typed this on my phone, forgive a typo or two ;)

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.03.2012, 00:13 
I think the problem is Crytek is fundamentally a PC developer, and so when they develop a console game they go into it with a PC elitist mindset that it has to suck because it's on console.