View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.10.2011, 22:11Posts: 327 Likes: 20

Post Topic: Re: Realistic Zombie Simulator || 20th Feb Update ||
PostPosted 05.04.2012, 20:04 
A smartphone might be an even better idea, just for the love of god : do not use it to turn your game into a **** DATING SIM ! :mad: (I'm looking at you, GTA4)

It's also a valid reason for having a map/gps with you.
Execute it well enough and you could use it as a main menu, it doesn't break the immersion, looks cool but can be a bit cumbersome if it's too hard to navigate.

imo. those blood splatters could use some more work, the colours look a bit off.
For the inventory I prefer a mass and volume system, a mix between Deus Ex: HR and Fallout/Skyrim.

And I'm expecting plenty Shaun of The Dead references. :evil: I really need to watch the whole movie sometime ...

#CryMod IRC
Remember kids : A Flowgraph a day keeps Ruan away !

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 05.04.2012, 21:46 
Quote by NanoTurtle:
A smartphone might be an even better idea, just for the love of god : do not use it to turn your game into a **** DATING SIM ! :mad: (I'm looking at you, GTA4)

It's also a valid reason for having a map/gps with you.
Execute it well enough and you could use it as a main menu, it doesn't break the immersion, looks cool but can be a bit cumbersome if it's too hard to navigate.

imo. those blood splatters could use some more work, the colours look a bit off.
For the inventory I prefer a mass and volume system, a mix between Deus Ex: HR and Fallout/Skyrim.

And I'm expecting plenty Shaun of The Dead references. :evil: I really need to watch the whole movie sometime ...

I came up with the smartphone idea specifically for the GPS/map. It won't be implemented like the GTA IV map :P more like this:
(yes this is my hand... :P)

There will be some shaun of the dead references :D I love that film haha! I've actually started remaking the pub :)

Solanum is back - Artifex Games
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.10.2011, 22:11Posts: 327 Likes: 20

PostPosted 05.04.2012, 21:55 
Looking forward to it.
And :
Crapple cryPhone +1 :D

I've always wanted to use my cell's camera as a laser designator for an airstrike. Might be a little bit OTT for your game though. :whistle:

Using it as a remote detonator shouldn't be that hard to do ?

#CryMod IRC
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 04:20 
lol the gps would die in a day or two.

Swag.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 07:24 
Well if you implemented the map gps like gta (where you can open the map (maybe in this case, enlarge a minimap, etc) and select the destination) and it will show up on your minimap (if you have one) or your phone.

I was just figuring that most people wouldnt want to bother with a phone gps, after all, zombies ARE trying to kill you, so if you had a large pop up map that came when you clicked gps on the phone, you select your destination, and the phone then guides you. Just my thoughts on how to make that user-interface easier.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 19:02 
Quote by NanoTurtle:
Looking forward to it.
And :
Crapple cryPhone +1 :D

I've always wanted to use my cell's camera as a laser designator for an airstrike. Might be a little bit OTT for your game though. :whistle:

Using it as a remote detonator shouldn't be that hard to do ?

CryPhone.. I like it :)

I guess it wouldn't be hard to do. I could somehow implement it I guess. :P

Quote by Johnny Guitar:
lol the gps would die in a day or two.

I'm not sure. GPS comes from satellites in earth's orbit, I guess they would last until something breaks or they run out of power, idk :P I should be more concerned about justifying why there is still electricity! Perhaps I'll make a wind farm :)

Quote by Lord Horc:
Well if you implemented the map gps like gta (where you can open the map (maybe in this case, enlarge a minimap, etc) and select the destination) and it will show up on your minimap (if you have one) or your phone.

I was just figuring that most people wouldnt want to bother with a phone gps, after all, zombies ARE trying to kill you, so if you had a large pop up map that came when you clicked gps on the phone, you select your destination, and the phone then guides you. Just my thoughts on how to make that user-interface easier.

Hmm I will discuss this with the team. I aim to make gameplay as realistic as possible. This would mean you can only get your phone out when you are hidden, or of course you could just keep running :). I will maybe consider having some sort of onscreen arrow pointing in the direction to the destination.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep em coming :)

Some of you may have noticed I've renamed the thread to "Solanum". This is now our codename. We still haven't thought of a name :)

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

Post Topic: Re: Solanum (temp name) || 20th Feb Update ||
PostPosted 06.04.2012, 19:53 
You should add a battery life for the GPS too and maybe add safe places where you can rest and charge your phone (something similar to Far Cry 2), would be cool ! :)

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 20:35 
Speaking of Far Cry 2, in that game you could take out your map like a weapon and when you run it would move to the edge of your screen So you don't have to interrupt the gameplay at all. :)

#CryMod IRC

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 21:11 
Thanks for pointing that out! I think that could work for the phone.

Well I guess I should start working on a prototype!

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 21:19 
I'll be expecting my Gameplay designer check then ? :whistle:

#CryMod IRC
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 21:32 
Quote by NanoTurtle:
Speaking of Far Cry 2, in that game you could take out your map like a weapon and when you run it would move to the edge of your screen So you don't have to interrupt the gameplay at all. :)

Oooh, that's right !
I didn't even think about the GPS in Far Cry 2, lol.. :P

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 21:55 
But your phone doesn't connect to the GPS itself it connects to a tower that connects to the GPS, neat idea still.

Swag.

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 22:20 
Quote by Johnny Guitar:
But your phone doesn't connect to the GPS itself it connects to a tower that connects to the GPS, neat idea still.

Nope, you can connect to an additional GPS Tower on the Earth to get a more accurate result but it's not necessary.
Also, it depends on the type of GPS we're talking about. :)

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 11:19Posts: 36 Likes: 1

PostPosted 07.04.2012, 23:28 
Hi Jasper !

I have a resquest for you : can you share me your game design document ? I'm curious of what this game will be about. I must confide to you that I am tempted to make a similar game prototype, with slow old school zombies and based on survival skills. With real map objectives like escaping, finding foods, etc...

And where is the development status, have you any coder ?

regards
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 08.04.2012, 00:35 
MASDA Supermarket... gnihihihi That'll make me :cheesy: a few more times when I walk into ASDA. Btw I think MASDA is a better name for it. xD