View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 117

Post Topic: Re: Alpine Asset Pack Update Is Released! Build 2.4.0 Page 1
PostPosted 03.04.2012, 18:47 
OMG, I agree with The_Grim. This is one of the weirdest things I have ever seen :o

I think it may be time to ask the Crytek boys that question. cant say I knew that was even possible either!
As far as your Smaller tree's go, yeah Size Var should be set to 1 or below, higher gives horrible results. And the tree's are technicly modeled 1:1 Scale. However my old 3dsmax installation apparently had strange exporter issues and the Values would change.

Seems to be fixed now, will be worked on in the last build of the Alpine Asset pack.

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 01:36 
Just a final question. In the objects folder under game, do I replace the current natural folder? (I extracted the .pak file so I now have it as a .pak and a folder)
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.11.2007, 02:03Posts: 2830Location: USA Likes: 117

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 04:33 
You can just replace it, there shouldn't be anything but the folder that it replaces. If there is you had a previous version of the pack installed. In which case make SURE you overwrite every thing :)
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.12.2011, 00:28Posts: 168 Likes: 2

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 10:31 
dude if I set the size to 1 they are very small compared to the character like this

so I'm guessing they're not to scale.

also, the grass looks great if it's very dense and if you're looking towards the horizon yet if you look down on it not so great since you see perpendicular polygons with no depth so I would split the poly into 3 horizontal polys and add a nice curve to them so when you look from above you still see some grass not just 2d polys. I don't know if it's really viable since it will increase the polycount 3 times but I think it will look better. If not, maybe try to tilt the existing polys 15-30 degrees? I don't know, just thinking out loud :P
hope you don't take it the wrong way :D just trying to help you improve the existing awesomeness :))

PostPosted 04.04.2012, 21:43 
Yeah the scale is whacked because of my Old max 2011. That's fixed in the update.

As far as the grass goes, to be honest it was my first grass ever. Not to mention I didn't even know I included it. I was going to make a package of grasses that were separate. I have much better models now.

Thank you for your input, and visit again sometime soon. I hope to have my tutorials finished soon.

PS: Just Set the scale to 5. seams to work just fine.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 01.04.2012, 14:01Posts: 1 Likes: 0

PostPosted 05.04.2012, 19:38 
I need help!!

Whenever I try and import the '.veg' file I get a list of errors in the console and nothing gets imported.
Also if I import manually and paste, the vegetation has a texture 'replace me' in red....

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I am a noob to game design.

Thanks for any feedback you may give me!
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.12.2011, 00:28Posts: 168 Likes: 2

PostPosted 06.04.2012, 18:26 
also the mountain laural bushes in "bushes" folder and the dead branches in "ground_plants/dead_branches" are not linked to their material :p
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 30.12.2011, 20:38Posts: 49 Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 10:01 
I don't know if I said it before, but I will say it again; amazing you gave such quality work to the community. I cannot stress how awesome you are.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 01.11.2011, 05:20Posts: 45 Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 21:12 
So...How about them tutorials?

PostPosted 10.04.2012, 06:36 
Im working on it tonight actually, I have to wait a bit till everyone is away so I can record them. Since I will be talking as I go through the various techniques of how to make things. :)

@GlackHoleArts:

Thanks man, Its nice to hear that someone is enjoying and is thankful for the assets. Seams like some people are still having troubles though :(

@ShouldBeThere:

hey mate, are you using the FreeSDK or the C2 MODSDK? check the readme in the help files for a solution.
And if that doesn't help you, make sure your filepath is the following:

For Free SDK:
Game/Objects/Natural

For Crysis 2:
GameCrysis2/Objects/Natural
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 05.03.2010, 17:23Posts: 367 Likes: 4

PostPosted 13.04.2012, 03:13 
Always looking forward to new tutorials :)) Just wanted to suggest, for final build, change the file path to contain an original folder enclosing all your assets such as Alpine Asset Pack or Modmans Assets.

Ex: game/objects/natural/"myassetpack"

Besides being more organized, displaying deserved regconition, it helps modder's lock onto your specific folder via search filters in rollup bar and material editor. It avoids confusing with the original assets and potentially helps with installing or naming conflicts for future updates.

PostPosted 13.04.2012, 10:05 
Only one problem with that, will totally screw up every single filepath, and now.. thats a huge list! lol..

If I had the free time maybe, but It will have to wait. Im having trouble getting time away from everyone and my game project to make em as it is. :/

If I slept any less, I would be a real life zombie. :mad:
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.10.2011, 02:56Posts: 23Location: Belgium Likes: 0

PostPosted 13.04.2012, 21:33 
I have a question about creating grass assets:
Do you create your own texture, starting from high poly grass blades + baking textures etc?
Or do you use real, edited pictures of grass blades, or some other technique?

Thanks!

Also try a powernap, it's like an instant refresh of the body for a few more hours :)

PostPosted 15.04.2012, 01:23 
Yeah I cant do that, I wont wake up for the alarm. Cause I'm so tired that it just doesn't work out. Even if I did, I wouldn't be capable mentally of getting out of bed. lol

To answer your question, my most recent grass was done with a Fur Shader in 3dsmax. Which can look amazing if you do the appropriate amount of post work.

So basically I render out the fur with heavily adjusting shaders to get the grass feel. And add the surface variant colors to simulate grain. And then its off to photoshop where its already masked for me. :D

Grass is just so sensitive, gotta get it perfect to make it look any semblance of realistic.

I'll post some pics of it soon I suppose. :)
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.02.2012, 05:54Posts: 9 Likes: 0

PostPosted 20.04.2012, 22:51 
Hi, I'm having some trouble with your assets.

Whereas people can get something like this (http://h11.abload.de/img/1y8j2m.jpg), I could probably paint a couple units of grass without something screwing up but no more.

I can't hope to add all that in using the vegetation painter. I have more than enough power to run Crysis and BF3 on max settings so I can't see my system being the problem. I remember CryEngine 2 being able to handle literally a square mile of dense forest with no issues, but I can't paint about 50 square yards of grass without it taking an extremely long time. Any more than that and it crashes.

Pressing Ctrl-Z is agonizingly slow. I have to Ctrl-click to remove ten pieces of vegetation at a time, which takes about 2 seconds to delete. Trying to hit Ctrl-Z after painting a large enough area will also cause a crash.

Here's about how much I can place at once, and how much I can reliably undo my placement without crashing, but a 2 minute wait. Note the size of my brush.
http://i.imgur.com/gzlOp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AQrwbh.jpg

After this stuff is added or deleted, the editor runs perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't crash.