View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: Solanum (temp name) || 20th Feb Update ||
PostPosted 08.04.2012, 01:01 
Quote by --Em--:
Hi Jasper !

I have a resquest for you : can you share me your game design document ? I'm curious of what this game will be about. I must confide to you that I am tempted to make a similar game prototype, with slow old school zombies and based on survival skills. With real map objectives like escaping, finding foods, etc...

And where is the development status, have you any coder ?

regards

Hey, I'm still in the process of completing the game doc. When it's finished I'll send you a copy :). I just had a quick read of you recruitment thread for your zombie game. It sounds interesting! It looks like we have the same vision, although we aren't planning any kind of story, we might have quests or an overall objective that would take months to finish.

The development status.. hmm, well we're in the very early stages of development. I'd say 5% done :P. We're currently modelling the environment and just starting to program the AI and gameplay mechanics.

We are still looking for programmers (specifically AI), character, 3D and 2D(concept) artists. Hey you could join is if you want.

Quote by XeroX:
MASDA Supermarket... gnihihihi That'll make me :cheesy: a few more times when I walk into ASDA. Btw I think MASDA is a better name for it. xD

Yes my imagination isn't very good. To get MASDA I combined Morrisons and ASDA hah :D

edit: forgot to say, I'll upload a small video in a few days. The map looks a lot better in video :), I just finished the phone we were talking about, it works well! Also we might have some zombie AI to show off!

Solanum is back - Artifex Games

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 21.08.2011, 11:19Posts: 36 Likes: 1

PostPosted 08.04.2012, 10:09 
How, i think you didn't notice the date of my recruitment thread, someting about 6 or 8 months :cheesy:

The thing is i want to join or create a project that have good coders.
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 08.04.2012, 13:20 
Hey Jasper, since I left the Cryengine I will talk to my team about sending you all of our models that we did for our game.

Swag.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 05.11.2011, 16:26Posts: 1965Location: Czech Republic Likes: 44

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 00:52 
My brother love zombies games and movies. He will be surprised :)
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.12.2011, 19:24Posts: 2 Likes: 0

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 17:44 
This is awesome have always wanted a realistic zombie game!
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 20:21 
I'm making the first zombie model for the project. I'm not very good at character modelling but I'm getting better :). Here's a shot ingame and in 3ds.

It's not finished yet. I need to model the body and then animate it. It's gonna be fun :)

We are recruiting character modellers!

edit: better pic Image

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 25.08.2011, 16:30Posts: 147Location: Lazytown Likes: 2

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 21:35 
doesnt look to bad, try to add detail in facial tissue and perhaps make it more dark green/grayish classy looking dude instead.
But fix the hair, doesnt look good on the test in the editor.

NItimur In Vetinum

PostPosted 09.04.2012, 21:45 
Quote by mr nopro:
doesnt look to bad, try to add detail in facial tissue and perhaps make it more dark green/grayish classy looking dude instead.
But fix the hair, doesnt look good on the test in the editor.

Thanks for the crits :)

The hair is something I definitely need to work on. I think I'll try to model it in a single mesh instead of pasting lots of polygons like that. That could save a bit of time too.

I haven't really done a high poly model of it yet, but like you said it needs more detail. I'll take it back into zbrush and see what I can do :)

edit: Updated the model a bit. Added some detail to the skin and changed the colour a little.

I also thought I post this image of the LOD levels. Because of how big the map is, and how much detail there is, we have to optimise everything as much as possible. There will be 3 stages of LOD for each character model. The model will switch to the lowest LOD when there are hordes of zombies or just lots on the screen.

Tri count: 400 - 1000 - 2000

User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 10.04.2012, 05:16 
Why the gunshot wounds in the head

Swag.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 19.09.2009, 09:30Posts: 2507Location: FinlandStatus: Online Likes: 145

PostPosted 10.04.2012, 14:55 
Quote by Johnny Guitar:
Why the gunshot wounds in the head

Yeah, I agree with that. The gunshots quite don't fit, or you at least should use them a bit less. More stuff like bleeding scars and dry blood would fit it better.

PostPosted 10.04.2012, 15:31 
They aren't gunshots. They're supposed to look like blotches and broken skin. Maybe I should make them look less like bullet wounds?

To be honest, I'm not going to perfect each zombie as there will be lots of them and I don't have time for that :)

edit. small update: my girlfriend officially thinks I'm a weirdo (I've been colouring in a 3d zombies for 2 days)... :D

Anyway, I'm gonna call this zombie done. Hopefully now that I've had a bit of experience the next few will be a bit quicker and easier.

Here's the finished version with the poly counts (I'm rather pleased with the low poly model).
It's probably not perfect, but meh.

Last edited by JasperHope on 11.04.2012, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 10.04.2012, 23:00 
The zombies look great. My only crit is the first one's upper mouth, it just doesn't seem right. But I know it has a lower poly count, so I understand.

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 00:50 
Quote by Lord Horc:
The zombies look great. My only crit is the first one's upper mouth, it just doesn't seem right. But I know it has a lower poly count, so I understand.

edit: I just put this little section together in the map :), it's a train bridge in a rural area of the map.
I should point out that the bridge model and terrain aren't even textured, very WIP.
The reflection is very low quality and I will fix it ! :)

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 02:29 
I know it's still a very early WIP, but is the bridge floating? In the center left leg, I do not see where it touches, or I am just mistaken? Anyways, I look forward to seeing this completed, texturing is the fun part :P

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 17:10 
Quote by Lord Horc:
I know it's still a very early WIP, but is the bridge floating? In the center left leg, I do not see where it touches, or I am just mistaken? Anyways, I look forward to seeing this completed, texturing is the fun part :P

Lol :) the bridge isn't floating I think it's the lighting or the lack of proper textures :)

I just made another zombie. Crits please! :)