View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 04.04.2010, 18:17Posts: 1389Location: Canada Eh ! Likes: 20

Post Topic: Re: Solanum (temp name) || 20th Feb Update ||
PostPosted 11.04.2012, 17:57 
Hey, nice job on the head geometry.

My only suggestion is to add some more detail to the head texture (wounds namely) add some gore detail.

Check out these zombie head models.

http://www.amithology.com/zombie_head.html

:D

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 18:01 
Quote by ultranew_b:
Hey, nice job on the head geometry.

My only suggestion is to add some more detail to the head texture (wounds namely) add some gore detail.

Check out these zombie head models.

http://www.amithology.com/zombie_head.html

:D

Thanks for the crits! Wow those are some pretty awesome models! Thanks for showing me that. I never thought about adding that much detail but it really makes mine look bad!

I'll get back to work and add some more detail! Thanks :)

Solanum is back - Artifex Games
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 29.10.2011, 22:11Posts: 327 Likes: 19

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 19:50 
I actually like the ones you got now a lot, there's something unusual about them. Think it's the textures.

#CryMod IRC
Remember kids : A Flowgraph a day keeps Ruan away !
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 23.03.2011, 05:21Posts: 796Location: Alberta / Canada Likes: 12

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 21:21 
Quote by NanoTurtle:
I actually like the ones you got now a lot, there's something unusual about them. Think it's the textures.

The mod uses textures from cg textures atm, so that could be why.

Swag.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 06.01.2009, 16:43Posts: 1051Location: England Likes: 1

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 23:32 
Quote by Johnny Guitar:
The mod uses textures from cg textures atm, so that could be why.

I think he was referring to the zombie models. Also it's not a mod :)

Quote by NanoTurtle:

There's definitely something distinct about them. I've hand painted them and I'm not very experienced with it so they have that flat look :). I was aiming to make them look realistic, maybe when I put them in cry engine they will look a little better :)

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 00:11 
I agree with NanoTurtle, I like your zombies better, the others seemed just a bit too damaged. Though, it really depends on how the outbreak started/works. I mean, what does it take to become a zombie. I believe it was Walking Dead where any human that died regardless of the cause became a zombie, so your zombie with very little wounds would be perfect. I mean, the design really depends on your background story. (Like if the zombie tears the humans apart, I'd like to see zombies missing body parts)

Also, I'm not sure how possible it would be with hordes, but if you could shoot off zombie body parts it would be cool. (Like headshots in CoD zombies)
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 00:56 
Quote by Lord Horc:
I agree with NanoTurtle, I like your zombies better, the others seemed just a bit too damaged. Though, it really depends on how the outbreak started/works. I mean, what does it take to become a zombie. I believe it was Walking Dead where any human that died regardless of the cause became a zombie, so your zombie with very little wounds would be perfect. I mean, the design really depends on your background story. (Like if the zombie tears the humans apart, I'd like to see zombies missing body parts)

Also, I'm not sure how possible it would be with hordes, but if you could shoot off zombie body parts it would be cool. (Like headshots in CoD zombies)

Something like this viewtopic.php?f=308&t=76339 might be helpful then ?
That's Gore, though not really the purest form of. :)

Trainee TraineeMember since: 12.03.2012, 10:18Posts: 109Location: Hong Kong Likes: 1

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 01:46 
Awesome :D

Culture : Muslim 穆斯林 مسلم

Name : Saif Ali 賽義夫·阿里 سیف علی
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 12.03.2012, 03:59Posts: 44 Likes: 0

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 04:11 
Quote by DevilDante:

Kinda like that, but probably not too much of the blood, as it would probably cause too much lag and personally, its always better to make games kid friendly if he plans to pursue a license. Like CoD WaW, in the single player, you could blow enemy arms off nd stuff, but not too much gore. I personally hate the gore like in Rainbow 6 Vegas, it seems overdone. I'd like to see more of a cod zombies or cod waw, minimum blood, but you get the picture. But it's fun to blow body parts off, so thats why i added it. I didnt see a picture, but heres a description of the gore I liked in WaW

Quote by Call of Duty Wikia:
Call of Duty: World at War is the goriest Call of Duty game to date. It is possible to mutilate and rip apart enemy soldiers, by blowing off enemies' heads, arms and legs. Ripping open the torso and seeing the ribs, and similar areas of the body is also possible with high-power weapons like the MG42, Type 99, FG42 and PTRS-41 . Also, blood splatter is more realistic, and it is common to see the enemy in large pools of blood splattered everywhere. Much of this gore is not present in the Wii version due to graphical limitations. Blood is still present, however, and meat chunks appear when a soldier is shot in the head.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 864 Likes: 20

PostPosted 13.04.2012, 14:25 
I Hope this game is not disappointing :D

Portfolio
"As far as assets go, your vegitation is pretty good" -Ryan Schake [Themodman101]
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 16:25Posts: 746Location: Genova, Italy Likes: 3

PostPosted 13.04.2012, 18:59 
Quote by Lord Horc:
Quote by DevilDante:

Kinda like that, but probably not too much of the blood, as it would probably cause too much lag and personally, its always better to make games kid friendly if he plans to pursue a license. Like CoD WaW, in the single player, you could blow enemy arms off nd stuff, but not too much gore. I personally hate the gore like in Rainbow 6 Vegas, it seems overdone. I'd like to see more of a cod zombies or cod waw, minimum blood, but you get the picture. But it's fun to blow body parts off, so thats why i added it. I didnt see a picture, but heres a description of the gore I liked in WaW

Quote by Call of Duty Wikia:
Call of Duty: World at War is the goriest Call of Duty game to date. It is possible to mutilate and rip apart enemy soldiers, by blowing off enemies' heads, arms and legs. Ripping open the torso and seeing the ribs, and similar areas of the body is also possible with high-power weapons like the MG42, Type 99, FG42 and PTRS-41 . Also, blood splatter is more realistic, and it is common to see the enemy in large pools of blood splattered everywhere. Much of this gore is not present in the Wii version due to graphical limitations. Blood is still present, however, and meat chunks appear when a soldier is shot in the head.

Yep, that's why I said it was not ''pure'', I played WaW though and got what you mean, I agree. :)

PostPosted 14.04.2012, 14:35 
Quote by Lord Horc:

You have some good points there. I wish the cause of the outbreak to be a simple parasitic virus that takes control of the nervous system after death. Basically like The Walking Dead series. So the zombies could range from look like a living person if they just died, or to looking like a corpse that has been dead for several months.

Thanks for pointing out the gore idea. Blood is certainly something that needs implementing :P, although the dismantling of body parts might cause lag when there are tons of zombies on the screen. I guess I should just test this stuff when I get around to it.

Anyway some of you guys were questioning how I made the roads. Originally I created them in Sketchup, but I've worked out a pretty neat way of doing it in 3ds max.

Here's a screenshot of something I'm currently working on. If anyone wants to know exactly how I do this, just ask and I'll create a tutorial :)

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 26.01.2010, 01:17Posts: 1146 Likes: 29

PostPosted 15.04.2012, 05:04 
A tutorial would be great. Just how versatile is it?
Say like, the kerbs and uv mapping of pavements? Been trying to make town roads for a while, thought of using ghost town, as i'm mapping part of a real town, and making roads + pavements is a pain.

Itd be great to see some gore, a lot of games seem to miss out on it thesedays, or realistic gore. Something luke guts, spleen, kidneys, brains and bones is needed. I imagine itd noot be too easy or wise to pump the detail into actual zombies, but maybe dead bodies placed about, provide some shock value in some unique places youd least expect it.
Have to end it here, trying to correct errors is awfuly painful on this phones browser.

PostPosted 15.04.2012, 14:17 
Quote by arieas:
A tutorial would be great. Just how versatile is it?
Say like, the kerbs and uv mapping of pavements? Been trying to make town roads for a while, thought of using ghost town, as i'm mapping part of a real town, and making roads + pavements is a pain.

Itd be great to see some gore, a lot of games seem to miss out on it thesedays, or realistic gore. Something luke guts, spleen, kidneys, brains and bones is needed. I imagine itd noot be too easy or wise to pump the detail into actual zombies, but maybe dead bodies placed about, provide some shock value in some unique places youd least expect it.
Have to end it here, trying to correct errors is awfuly painful on this phones browser.

Just making a tutorial now. It's pretty versatile I guess. The technique I use is simple. I haven't been using max for long so you can probably adapt it and make it better.

Those are some good ideas, thanks :). I guess I could make some static dead zombies with lots of detail. In houses and stuff. I could actually make the odd zombie with guts hanging out using cloth physics, that would be pretty gruesome :). We could control which zombies spawn. Low poly models for hordes etc.

Tutorial will be finished in a couple hours. It looks like it could be pretty long though. I'm just recording myself making a street.

Last edited by JasperHope on 15.04.2012, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 17.12.2011, 08:44Posts: 864 Likes: 20

PostPosted 15.04.2012, 16:10 
its good ! supper,your tod,better if make it foggy in the night dont you think so?

Portfolio
"As far as assets go, your vegitation is pretty good" -Ryan Schake [Themodman101]