View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 31.08.2011, 11:17Posts: 564 Likes: 163

Post Topic: Re: create a RTS game from start to finish in Cryengine 3
PostPosted 10.04.2012, 19:40 
Whoops big mistake in the video. in the globals.cpp, g_RightClicked and g_LeftClicked there needs to NOT be the extern keyword. ONLY in the globals.h is there SUPPOSED to be he extern keyword. sorry guys lol.

User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 31.08.2011, 11:17Posts: 564 Likes: 163

PostPosted 11.04.2012, 17:17 
Hello everyone just wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in an RTS game that took advantage of speech recognition. It would not be required but it would be a nice feature for those that wanted to use it. If so, anyone have any ideas on how one could make that useful and fun!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advanced :) !!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 05:24 
I Have finally integrated Speech Recognition into Cryengine 3 Free sdk And the Tutorial will be Part of my "How to create a RTS Game From start to finish in Cryengine 3 free sdk" So as always stay tuned and Enjoy!

Ps. A video of a few simple results will be up soon!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 09:18 
Quote by Richmar1:
I Have finally integrated Speech Recognition into Cryengine 3 Free sdk And the Tutorial will be Part of my "How to create a RTS Game From start to finish in Cryengine 3 free sdk" So as always stay tuned and Enjoy!

Ps. A video of a few simple results will be up soon!!!!!!!!!!! :) :D

Okay Here's the video I Promised!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!!!
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 17.04.2008, 00:04Posts: 360 Likes: 13

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 10:09 
Great work ! I'm already trying to think of some instances where voice recognition would be interesting in my own games. For sure not as a primary control method, but for some specific types of actions it might be very cool.

PostPosted 12.04.2012, 17:18 
Here you go, Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!
My RTS Full Source Code: http://www.mediafire.com/?hll0uqt1dzflgr4

Please respect my hard work and don't claim it to be yours. If i'm showing you all my source code which is down right unheard of for a game that will be released commercially for the purposes of helping you get to programming an RTS easier I will not allow you to profit from my hard work. By all Means my code can be used for NON-Profit free games only. So you can change and modify anything you wish and re-release it if you want, but my code can not be used for any type of Monetary gain. :) Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! I will be releasing My Source code on a regular Basis from now on, so get excited :)

Install Instructions:
just extract anywhere then merge the Code folder with cryengine's Code folder Overwriting everything. IMPORTANT: back up your original Code folder so you can go back when you're done using my source code. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted 15.04.2012, 22:55 
just so you know part 5 of my "How to create a RTS game from start to finish in cryengine 3 free sdk" series will be up in about 45 Min. So stay tuned!!!!!! :)

PostPosted 16.04.2012, 00:31 
okay Part 5 is up, View first post to watch!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!! :)
  Trainee TraineeMember since: 23.12.2011, 00:28Posts: 168 Likes: 2

PostPosted 16.04.2012, 03:11 
dude you da man :D but you should totally make a title or a mini description of every video `cause it's a lot to process and that way there won't be any mixups :P

PostPosted 16.04.2012, 03:32 
ha ha yeah i know but fortunately even though the videos on crydev don't have a description their youtube version does. but from now on i will post descriptions for every video and update already done videos with descriptions sound good!!!!!!! :)

PostPosted 21.04.2012, 00:35 
part 6 is up, see first post for update, Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted 21.04.2012, 03:57 
My RTS Full Source Code part 2: http://www.mediafire.com/?8qpny7n5734fxej

updates since last release:
1) added multi unit selection which is still in alpha stage with the ability to select an unlimited amount of units

2) added unit formation support which is still in pre-alpha stage and needs heavy work

3)unit selection and movement is now implemented in c++ so no flowgraph is needed,
NOTE: Flowgraph mouse and speech nodes were not tested after c++ unit selection and movement implementation so not sure if they work but check it out

4)My policy on using my code for commercial and or monetary gain has changed so now anyone is free to use my code however they wish. If you decide to use my code in a game you would like to sell that is fine, go nuts.

Install Instructions:
just extract anywhere then merge the Code folder with cryengine's Code folder Overwriting everything. IMPORTANT: back up your original Code folder so you can go back when you're done using my source code. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted 22.04.2012, 05:50 
My RTS Full Source Code part 3 (5.93 KB): http://www.mediafire.com/?zabtc7oz669awft

updates since last release:

1) Completely Re-done single and Multi unit selection to increase performance and ease of use.

2) Completely Re-done single and Multi unit Movement to increase performance and ease of use.

3)Temporarily removed flowgraph node's "SpeechRecognitionNode", "MulitUnitSelectionNode" and "MouseEntityNode"

4)Created a New Class called "AIUnit" and with one of it's funtions, "CreateAIUnit(EntityYouWantToCreateAnAIUnitOutOf)" It can take an entity and convert it to my "AIUnit" type which will allow the entity to take advantage of the navigation system and other ai related tasks such as Goalpipes.
you could do this before but it took about ten lines of code and wasn't user friendly.
with my new class it only takes one line of code, you can feed it custom ai parameters to Make each unit unique, and is very very easy to use.

5)Completely removed the need for global variables

6)All my functions are now modular and can be used in generic ways so that you can use them without having to worry about messing up other code. Previously my functions had to be used in a certain order and in a certain way to work.

7) Removed numerous functions and variables that are no longer needed because of the reworked RTS System.

Install Instructions:
User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 01.05.2012, 06:11Posts: 82Location: Sweden Likes: 0

PostPosted 01.05.2012, 07:07 
Hey Richmar, I've been following your
tutorials on youtube for months and have been been in pre-production for an RTS for months now as well.
I've just made untextured charcter models and weapons so far.
Before I go into full gear and go on a tutorial watching and game design spree I was wondering if it would be possible to have huge amounts of units on the screen at once.
How many units do you think cryengine can handle on screen at once?
200 per player?Like starcraft, or even less?
I need to know an approximate amount of units CE3 can handle so i can plan the maps accordingly.
Do you think that it would be possible to have absolutely ridiculous amounts of units similar to the likes of Total War?
I honestly have no idea, as I have barely used cryengine in the past other than for some environment work with world machine.
I plan on staying active in the forums though as I continue to learn more and work on my project and portfolio. This is my first post on crydev btw :P
Anyway I'll continue watching your channel and staying updated on your game and tutorials.
-Johan

Computer Specs
CPU:Intel 2500k @ 4.2 GHz
GPU:EVGA 560TI
RAM:Corsair Vengeance 8GB
MB:ASUS P8P67 LE
PSU:Corsair 600W
Case:NZXT Phantom

Steam | Email: Jseaton@oraculargames.com

PostPosted 04.05.2012, 06:49 
RTS Prototype UPDATE:Basic RTS Build System and Keyboard input Detection!!!!!! This shows you an update to my series "How to make a RTS game from start to finish in cryengine 3 SDK" It shows you what i will be teaching you in the next tutorial or so!!!!!! Enjoy and stay tuned!!!!! PLEASE COMMENT and RATE,GOOD or BAD so i know how i did. Remember all of my tutorials will be HD so if its not, just wait before watching, youtube takes a while to post the HD version.Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

My RTS Full Source Code Part 4 (14.3 KB): http://www.mediafire.com/?tqmblt9saxbj1zo

ChangeLog:

1) Created a new Class that allows you to Convert "Regular" entities into My special "RTSStructure" Entities with one function call, which allows and adds specific behaviors just for RTS Buildings like Health, stats, ability to make AIUnits, etc.

NOTE: currently "RTSStructure" entities do not have any specific behavior but contain everything an entity can do.

2). Created a Class that handles keyboard input.

NOTE: currently only keys "B", "H", "T" are detected but is easy to implement the whole alphabet
see very bottom of WndProc() function in "GameStartup.cpp" to see how to send the events to My New Function "KeyBoardEvents()" in "RTSKeyboard.CPP".

3) created a new class that allows you to "build" new units and structures like a traditional RTS.
This is currently a work in progress and should be considered "Pre-Alpha" but is functional.

NOTE: currently the build system "Builds" a house when you press "H" and a "Town Center" when you press "T". Some Modification IS needed to get the build system to work for YOU as i did not include My Custom scripted entities with the source code this time but i will Next update. Take a look at "RTSBuildSystem.CPP" and "RTSKeyboard.CPP" for an example.

4)added the ability for an "AIUnit" To Attack another "AIUnit" but this code is not funtional and "works" VERY Poorly.

Please respect my hard work and don't claim it to be yours.

Install Instructions:

EVERYTHING I know about c++, I learned from this 65 video tutorial series
enjoy and don't skip a single video. It teaches you from beginner to expert done by a proffessional c++ programmer. it is simple the best c++ tutorial in existence!!!!!!!!!