Latest Build Feedback

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10647Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 656

Post Topic: Vegetation
PostPosted 19.04.2012, 14:42 
Please provide any feedback/issues regarding Vegetation below. Steps to reproduce the issue are necessary in order to find and fix any issues.

Please keep chatter to a minimum in these threads so that it's easier for us to find important information. This first post will be kept up to date with any known issues. Any work-arounds will be posted here also.

Known Issues
  • Fit To Terrain option currently not available (CE-1525).
  • Procedural vegetation results differ in Pure-Game vs Editor (CE-3794).

Feature Request
  • Option to "use on terrain layer" for two or more vegetation objects at once.

User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:30Posts: 115Location: Denmark Likes: 16

Post Topic: Re: Vegetation
PostPosted 01.06.2014, 19:34 
I see that "Fit to terrain" and "Merged textures" has been marked as deprecated in the Docs.

http://docs.cryengine.com/display/SDKDO ... ion+Shader

With regards to fit to terrain. Does that mean we shouldnt expect to see it return?

The thing I miss the most from Merged textures was the option of using one of the Channels as a subsurface scattering map. Is there an alternative to that now?

Back diffuse color scale has a range from 0-4. But everything above 1 seems to have no effect.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10647Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 656

PostPosted 01.06.2014, 21:40 
I marked it as deprecated though we have a ticket in to get it added back in. If/when that happens I'll update the docs again but for now it should be considered deprecated. p.s; the reason it was deprecated is because it was originally developed for grass use and with merged meshes this was no longer needed for grass.

The only things (and the only example discovered when we switched to 3.5) that may suffer from the lack of this function are large clusters of trees such as background billboard trees, but the vegetation shader is too expensive for background objects and they should be placed as brushes/illum anyway.

Can you show me what you're trying to achieve with the SSS setup? Isn't that what the opacity map does?

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 09.12.2011, 02:15Posts: 202Location: Nova Scotia, CanadaStatus: Online Likes: 3

PostPosted 01.06.2014, 21:59 
@Adam: didn't know that background trees shouldn't use vegetation shader. Thanks for the info :)
User avatar   Trainee TraineeMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:30Posts: 115Location: Denmark Likes: 16

PostPosted 01.06.2014, 22:21 
Ahh yeah I just figured out that I had to use the Opacity slot for it now. Thanks for the clarification in regards to Fit to terrain. But I'll also give you a +1 for the tip with the Illum shader and background objects :p

PostPosted 03.06.2014, 20:22 
When I saw that Procedural vegetation was supposed to be fixed in 3.6, I was quite happy. Unfortunately when I tested it, everything was as it has always been, or at least the way it's been for a very long time. I've tried creating a new level with brand new terrain layers and created new vegetation entries in the vegetation tool. But things were still messed up. Here's two screenshots showing the result in the editor and in the launcher.

As you can see, the red plant has been swapped with the grass. And just to show how big our problem really is hehe. This is how it's supposed to look in the launcher:

And this is how it actually looks in the launcher:

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:29Posts: 37 Likes: 10

PostPosted 05.06.2014, 19:25 
Just tried doing the exact same thing as shown above - only thing I did different was using cryteks own vegetation assets instead of our own. They bug out in the launcher, being spawned at the wrong terrain layers like our own assets do.

- Trusty
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 29.05.2010, 11:46Posts: 1216Location: Germany Likes: 136

PostPosted 05.06.2014, 21:56 
Quote by Cry-Adam:
I marked it as deprecated though we have a ticket in to get it added back in. If/when that happens I'll update the docs again but for now it should be considered deprecated. p.s; the reason it was deprecated is because it was originally developed for grass use and with merged meshes this was no longer needed for grass.

The only things (and the only example discovered when we switched to 3.5) that may suffer from the lack of this function are large clusters of trees such as background billboard trees, but the vegetation shader is too expensive for background objects and they should be placed as brushes/illum anyway.

Can you show me what you're trying to achieve with the SSS setup? Isn't that what the opacity map does?

Shame that in an open world game there are no background trees, everything is reachable. Wouldn't it maybe like possible that lod also can switch shader, not entirely sure if that is possible atm?

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 20.08.2011, 23:29Posts: 37 Likes: 10

PostPosted 07.06.2014, 17:42 
The broken procedural vegetation is really a critical issue for us. Anyone out there got it working yet?

- Trusty

PostPosted 07.06.2014, 17:58 
Hey guys,

I can't repro the issue with the proc veg. Can you try this attached level and see if its working for you? If not, can you please attach screens?

ProcVegTest.rar
[170.01 KiB]
Downloaded 15 times

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

PostPosted 07.06.2014, 18:09 
Thanks for your effort Cry-Adam. Unfortunately it still doesnt work for us. The bushes are getting switched with the grass.

Edit: I just tried it on my laptop, same result as the screenshots show.

PostPosted 13.06.2014, 11:46 
Any update regarding the issue, Adam? Have you been able to reproduce the problem?

- Trusty

PostPosted 14.06.2014, 16:38 
I just did a test of procedural vegetation on the new update, unfortunately I'm still having the problem as shown on the previous pictures.
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.02.2014, 19:56Posts: 18 Likes: 0

PostPosted 17.06.2014, 13:57 
I have the same problem in my level. Any news form cryengine?
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 25.02.2014, 19:56Posts: 18 Likes: 0

PostPosted 21.06.2014, 10:49 
Still no News from crytek. This is a very important bug that makes a great feature useless. It's a shame. No info. Lots of bugs. No feedback. Love Cryengine but in its actual state I will hace to explore other options more reliable. In my opinión they shells us an incomplete non productive engine. I would hace prefer to pay a Little more and obtain a polished product.