Off Topic Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 11.06.2010, 05:05Posts: 255 Likes: 2

Post Topic: 2 guys making a game with there own engine amazing!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted 26.04.2012, 03:31 
I saw the trailer to this new game today.

It looks amazing and its being done by just 2 guys who built there own engine

simply amazing

http://reset-game.net/

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 16.06.2010, 11:41Posts: 868Location: West Lafayette, Indiana Likes: 0

Post Topic: Re: 2 guys making a game with there own engine amazing!!!!!!
PostPosted 26.04.2012, 05:41 
That seems almost too good to be true, at least their own engine part. My best friend and I are debated geniuses, but building our own engine and then making a game all by ourselves is a bit far, at least while eating and sleeping and all useless stuff. Hang on...Defibrillation in 3...2...1... ok where were we.

BEWARE: Flaming aliens are generally more grumpy than normal ones.
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5456Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 153

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 06:10 
My word, that's simply beautiful work that's been done.

Quote by da3dsoul:
My best friend and I are debated geniuses, but building our own engine and then making a game all by ourselves is a bit far, at least while eating and sleeping and all useless stuff.

It's not far-fetched at all. In fact, I think that two indie developers have an even better chance at creating a quality product than a full corporation do for countless reasons, the primary one of course being the fact that they have no money, time, or content restrictions and boundaries; they do this whenever they want, however they want, and they can make it as good as they want. Most talent like this knows that they can achieve much larger goals by being their own entrepreneurs, as opposed to joining the larger force. Not saying that there's anything wrong with joining a larger force, because there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but some people here and there want to be a little more independent than others.

That's exactly why Valve kicks so much ass, because they've made themselves affiliated with no one but themself. They can take as long as they want pretty much to release Episode 3, because they're so respected for what they've done and the quality of their few products is outstanding. The fans love them, everybody loves them, it's almost immoral to dislike their cause.

Last edited by Adsolution on 15.93.2014, 05:29, edited 58 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 06:29 
Aha, but when an small dev company grows up ,it become corrupt...I dont need to mention a good example of this :meh:
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5456Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 153

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 06:44 
Quote by Psychoisalive:
Aha, but when an small dev company grows up ,it become corrupt...I dont need to mention a good example of this :meh:

Most usually, not all though. Valve is an obviously good example of this. :P

I wish to start a company when I'm a bit older, and if it does by any chance become successful, I have an extremely hard time seeing power get to my head. It's just a completely difference mindset I suppose that causes corruption, as opposed to the one that doesn't.

Last edited by Adsolution on 15.93.2014, 05:29, edited 58 times in total.
User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 13.12.2011, 19:25Posts: 511Location: Argentina Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 06:53 
I wonder if those guys wll open the source code when their engine gets older.
You know, like John Carmack
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 07:50 
In before Intel buys them up, makes a tech demo for a failed graphics card and shuts them down.

Seems like just another Prometheus clone though, if I'm understanding this time travel thing correctly?
User avatar   Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 25.07.2006, 03:26Posts: 605Location: Florida Likes: 10

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 08:07 
Quote by BmB:
In before Intel buys them up, makes a tech demo for a failed graphics card and shuts them down.

I think we've all learned from Project Offset's mistake. :P
User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 16.06.2010, 11:41Posts: 868Location: West Lafayette, Indiana Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 11:33 
I'm not saying unlikely for indie devs, I'm saying two people all by themselves. CE3 took how long to make? Then from there they could start Crysis2. I'm aware that a small group of people could do it, and by small I mean 5-10, but two people is a bit far unless they have absolutely nothing else to do, and are financially backed from the start, everything is easier to be devoted to when you don't need to work to keep a roof over your head and food in your stomach. Plus, in order to have the education to develop your own engine, you would need to be old enough to have a family (not saying everyone would, but certainly old enough for it to be plausible), in which case they would both need someone paying for them to live if they want to devote themselves to the project.

BEWARE: Flaming aliens are generally more grumpy than normal ones.
User avatar   Has no life Has no lifeMember since: 11.07.2008, 20:25Posts: 11740Location: Nottingham, UK Likes: 88

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 12:12 
Very nice lighting and bokeh if that's all realtime. Their editor UI, however...

Out now! CryENGINE Game Programming with C++, C#, and Lua
Ex-Crytek, now with Deep Silver Dambuster Studios
User avatar   News Posters News PostersMember since: 04.12.2007, 03:23Posts: 11476Location: Hamar, Norway Likes: 666

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 12:22 
Yeah i noticed the Editor UI is somewhat messy. But i guess the editor is in either Alpha or Beta stage aswell ;-P The actual trailer was stunning.

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 12:39 
Graphics are--- well they're not simple, but they're fairly straightforward part of an engine to get right (surprising games are still so ugly most of them), the hard part is all the game stuff. Their game sounds fairly simple. It's not going to be able to do everything CryEngine can do. Likely, it can do really nice graphics and exactly what they need it to do for that particular game. For example, having a robot main character saves you having to do all that hard hard character animation tech.

Fancy graphics engines are a dime a dozen, *game* engines come few and far between.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.03.2006, 18:37Posts: 330 Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 17:50 
The most impressive real-time visuals I've seen since 3DMark11. Stellar art direction. Killer tech.

Can't wait to see more.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 08.08.2011, 17:20Posts: 283 Likes: 13

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 19:20 
Seems like they will be able to bring some nice atmosphere back into a genre where other devs have been busy embarrasing themselves in that regard. I hope they get the game done and it carries over into that... then I don't care what engine or editor they base it on. :]
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 26.12.2011, 17:50Posts: 36 Likes: 0

PostPosted 26.04.2012, 23:46 
*Applause* Now, that's how the games should be. These dudes bring something fresh and exciting to the table.