Particle Effects & Materials

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

Post Topic: bump map for particle refraction
PostPosted 07.05.2012, 02:34 
Hello.

I would like to port somes bump map from crysis wars particle ( like singularity_ddn.dds etc ).to the ce3 and use them in the mod sdk.

Problem is. Photoshop cs5 turn .dds too bright when in open the .dds

So is there a correct nvidia dds read properties to set when i open a ddn.dds to avoid this changement of brightness ?

Or a correct setting to do in photoshop to get the correct "level" ( dont know the photoshop image setting in english)

Because if the brighness isnt correctly set, the refraction mess up.

Thanks !

User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9884Location: Finland Likes: 188

Post Topic: Re: bump map for particle refraction
PostPosted 07.05.2012, 09:30 
I've found that adding a Levels adjustment with 0,50 grey (default is 1) or so gives pretty good results. You can find out the accurate value by exporting a flat normal map (purple shade 128,128,255), reimporting it to Photoshop to brighten it, and testing the correct adjustment that returns the shade to 128,128,255. Use the same adjustment for any CE normal maps. ;)
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 18.01.2010, 23:11Posts: 1730 Likes: 1

Post Topic: Re: bump map for particle refraction
PostPosted 07.05.2012, 15:12 
Hm i dont undertand the part with the flat normal map.

But i have a nearly same result as the default crytek one by opening their ddn.dds in photoshop, then open the level editor ( if its the correct english name crtl+L ) and set the white cursor to 127, it will move the grey level acording to it.

And with the crytif export the result is good.

I tried just move the grey cursor, but for a bumpmap use for a refraction particle, it wasnt good enough. I was seeing the octogonal shape of the particle.
( even if with CE3 you can see too fast the refraction shape in somes case, when you wasnt in the ce2 )

Anyway, thanks =)