General CRYENGINE Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.06.2010, 17:53Posts: 38 Likes: 0

Post Topic: Giant World
PostPosted 23.05.2012, 18:17 
Hi, my team has been working on a project to recreate a real-world location, and we found that the limit for 1-on-1 horizontal scale of 8192 pix/m is somewhat scarse for our needs. Granted, we can change that scale, and create a larger world, but since this is a real-world project, we need to keep both horizontal and verical scales unchanged. We solved the issue as best as we could by creating a planar "curtain" with the background on it, but the results were not as good as we'd like. The question is: is there any way for us to create at least multiple linked levels, so that one level can actually see the other as distant land (e.g.: LOD in Creation Engine -TES Skyrim-, only instead of LOD for very small cells, it would be LOD-per-level, bsically, one giant cell), thus giving as a result a much more realistic feel. This is important for our project (though not fundamental) because the only thing that trully is remarkable about this location, is its views, which actually extend as far as 60km in every direction. Any help would be much appreciated!

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 21.10.2011, 23:50Posts: 1731 Likes: 7

Post Topic: Re: Giant World
PostPosted 23.05.2012, 21:23 
I assume you knoe the bugs that appear after a certain nap size?
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.08.2004, 12:38Posts: 2139 Likes: 37

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 12:11 
Hi nachor,
You might be interested in my Automap program....
viewtopic.php?f=311&t=83069
Regards,
Chris
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 04.06.2010, 17:53Posts: 38 Likes: 0

PostPosted 24.05.2012, 18:51 
Yes, I know that huge sizes tend to be problematic, and pretty demanding, but that's what I need for this particular scenario. Not the best of situations, that's for sure!
Chris, thank!! will try it and see how it goes! :cheesy:
  Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 11.08.2004, 12:38Posts: 2139 Likes: 37

PostPosted 25.05.2012, 11:40 
Hi nachor,
If you try Automap, be sure to install the two essential updates listed on the first page of the Automap thread. I would also strongly recommend that you start by working through the tutorial.
My main interest is in flight simulators, but it could be suitable for your application. You could have a central high detail area using standard terrain. You could then make the surrounding photoreal terrain with Automap. This would give you the long distance views of a real world location that you need. Because it is built from brushes, performance is very good. If the terrain is only viewed from a distance you could use lower resolution textures, and this would also help performance/memory consumption.
Anyway, have fun and if you have any problems/questions, don't hesitate to ask on the Automap thread!
Best regards,
Chris
  Beginner BeginnerMember since: 28.12.2011, 01:23Posts: 32 Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 14:01 
Maybe a bit off-topic for what you asked, but you might run in this kind of problems when using the larger maps:
viewtopic.php?f=355&t=88287