General Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

User avatar   Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 28.07.2011, 12:22Posts: 549Location: Hong Kong, and sometimes mainland China Likes: 2

Post Topic: Re: Unreal Engine 4
PostPosted 27.05.2012, 13:14 
^ thank you Thomy, that was very interesting and insightful

User avatar   Hardcore Modder Hardcore ModderMember since: 28.10.2007, 15:25Posts: 844Location: Denmark Likes: 1

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 14:06 
I think it's important to realize that there is room for brilliant general purpose licensed technology, and I sure hope Unreal and Cryengine and Unity and whatever else there is will continue to make it easier and more convenient.

But sometimes there's a need for specialized tech too, and that's just not something these engines can deliver.
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 20.01.2009, 14:25Posts: 1913 Likes: 9

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 15:41 
Quote by qbert39:
EPIC made Gears of War on the Unreal engine. A engine they designed and created, so yes that would be proprietary as far as they are concerned.

Batman Arkham city is also on the Unreal engine and that was made by Rocksteady, who licensed the engine to make the game. Not proprietary.

Ask yourself this, who is going to license there own engine to themselves. Does EPIC draw up a contract and pay itself to use the engine they created !!!!
Quote:
Definition of PROPRIETARY

: one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to something;
: something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker; specifically : a drug (as a patent medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright against free competition as to name, product, composition, or process of manufacture

Sorry, no, Unreal, Cryengine, and to an extent even Frostbite are not proprietary.
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9828Location: Finland Likes: 161

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 17:03 
BmB and Thomy put it nicely - even if developers are making their own engines nowadays, in the case of Rockstar, Epic, EA (and yes, also Crytek) the situation is very different to what it was a while ago. These engines are being used to make many games by different studios, even though the engine isn't strictly speaking being licensed. Cryengine is no longer "the Far Cry engine", Unreal engine is no longer only "the engine that runs Unreal" and Frostbite is no longer "the Battlefield engine".

Max Payne 3 and GTA V, vastly different games, run on the same engine - could you have imagined the same happening 5 years ago? ;)
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 11.06.2010, 05:05Posts: 254 Likes: 2

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 19:03 
Quote by ClockworkOnion:
Quote by qbert39:

not for long, There market share is falling and fast. The reason for the reveal of Unreal engine 4 is for that very reason. The current trend in game develop is not in devs using 3rd party middleware engines, such as Unreal, Cryengine, idtech,gamebryo or the evolution engine. The trend is that devs are building there own engine tech from scratch.

That's the reason for EPIC's reveal to keep market share not gain new ground but that could backfire since the, devs that have seen there engine in action may attempt to incorporate similiar tech into there engines.

Quote by ClockworkOnion:
You're either high or delusional. Almost no one uses their own engine, instead they license an engine and make the proper adjustments for their project.

here Clockwork clearly states that most engine tech used in games today is licensed.
Quote by Thomy:

Ok, I really try to be rational about this.

First of all, nobody said that most games are made with Unreal Engine.
What people are saying is:

I was stating that most games are made inhouse and not with licensed engines. You said Unreal I did not THomy

Quote by Thomy:

And Unreal Engine is not loosing marketshare, because the developers who make their own engine do not sell them afterwards. What I want to say is - they are not the competition in the middleware business, therefore UE cannot loose anything to them.
AGAIN: If a developer chooses to make his own engine, Epic does not "loose" him, they only loose him if he chooses to use middleware and then does not go for Unreal.
Unreal Engine could only loose marketshare to middleware engines like UNITY etc., BUT as said before the overall market for middleware engines is constantly growing and Unreal Engine, is in fact, on of the main factors of this growth.

I think everything written above are facts, therefore undeniable again.

this is flawed thinking.

For example EA signed a multi game deal with EPIC in 2006 to license Unreal engine 3 and then expanded that license for more games in 2008. Today however, since EA now has Frostbite 2 it is now making games with that engine instead of Unreal 3. That my friend is a loss in marketshare.
EA is huge and no one can deny that.

Quote by Thomy:

Now back to Mark Rein's words. He says the "competition" are in-house engines, but what he means by that is not that they are "business competition". They are the bar at which Unreal is looking at. Epic wants to have an engine which fits every developers need and unless this goal is reached devs have to make their own.

But, I think many of the more experienced people will strongly agree, what Mark Rein really is trying to do is to undermine the importance of other engines used.
When asked who is the competition EPIC has never ever said any word about Unity, CryEngine etc. ever before. It is part of their philosophy, and as they are sitting so high above all the others they would never really name somebody as their competition.

actually Mark Rein made it pretty clear there is no need to rationalize his statement. He said it in plain english. He say's that other middleware is not there competition. No other Licensed engine even comes close to the marketshare that Unreal engine has or had.

HE then states that most games are made with there own tech.

UE4 was shown to convince devs with there own tech to switch to Unreal. There not worried about other Licensed engines out there.

Quote by qbert39:
THIS IS FROM THE WORDS OF MARK REIN AT EPIC READ PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our biggest competition in the engine business isn't somebody else that makes middleware, it's people who make their own," Rein said, getting back to my question. "Most games are still made with their own technology. A lot of people still have their own stuff, our goal with UE4 is to prove to them that it's time [to switch]."

Mark Rein admits that most games are made with inhouse engines

Re-rationalizing or re-interpretating a simple statement is just lame. :meh:
User avatar   Superstar Dolphin Superstar DolphinMember since: 16.08.2004, 10:46Posts: 9828Location: Finland Likes: 161

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 19:41 
Quote by qbert39:
actually THomy, as u can see CLockwork Onion clearly stated that most games are made with a licensed engine

Heh well that's an uneducated claim, I'll give you that. :) I never said that most games would be using licensed engines by now, just that middleware engines are by no means dead; they've barely just started. ;)
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 30.10.2007, 23:40Posts: 218 Likes: 0

PostPosted 27.05.2012, 22:44 
Every time you engage qbert in a conversation an angel loses its wings. Just move on.
  Skilled Modder Skilled ModderMember since: 17.08.2011, 23:44Posts: 623Location: Hastings County, Ontario, Canada Likes: 21

PostPosted 28.05.2012, 04:59 
Quote by Zurginator:
Quote by qbert39:
EPIC made Gears of War on the Unreal engine. A engine they designed and created, so yes that would be proprietary as far as they are concerned.

Batman Arkham city is also on the Unreal engine and that was made by Rocksteady, who licensed the engine to make the game. Not proprietary.

Ask yourself this, who is going to license there own engine to themselves. Does EPIC draw up a contract and pay itself to use the engine they created !!!!
Quote:
Definition of PROPRIETARY

: one that possesses, owns, or holds exclusive right to something;
: something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker; specifically : a drug (as a patent medicine) that is protected by secrecy, patent, or copyright against free competition as to name, product, composition, or process of manufacture

Sorry, no, Unreal, Cryengine, and to an extent even Frostbite are not proprietary.

False. Proprietary in software has an entirely different meaning to the dictionary definition. Generally, proprietary software is interchangeable with trademark-registered closed-source software -- the licensors/owners of the trademark are the proprietors of the trademark, hence the term proprietary.

Quote by Cry-JR:
Our player is a retired Resident Evil background actor and sometimes... he shows his evil side.

Quote by thegeek:
Xbox is down, someone call the ambulance!  Wii u Wii u Wii u
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1543 Likes: 131

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 06:20 
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10157Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 498

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 16:09 
Looks cool but i've taken it out of IMG tags because it's a 7.5MB gif and took me about 5 minutes to load (source lag) :P

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)
User avatar   24/7 Modder 24/7 ModderMember since: 02.02.2007, 07:25Posts: 4954 Likes: 127

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 16:17 
I cant see the image. super heavy. almost fail

My Crytek News Blog - http://bit.ly/aFSbnP
My Massive Crysis Maps Guide - http://bit.ly/f5ifhe
My CryEngine Screens - http://bit.ly/wIDNDJ
My Youtube - http://bit.ly/xIg1l1
My Twitter - http://bit.ly/yZtaoH0
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 15.10.2009, 10:44Posts: 1543 Likes: 131

PostPosted 02.06.2012, 18:58 
Quote by modsuki:
I cant see the image. super heavy. almost fail

Try this url.

PS. Full version will be released next week.
User avatar   Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 23.09.2011, 02:21Posts: 399Status: Online Likes: 48

PostPosted 08.06.2012, 08:16 
Crytek, you need to start working on CryEngine 4 ASAP:

User avatar   Beginner BeginnerMember since: 13.05.2011, 15:56Posts: 36 Likes: 0

PostPosted 08.06.2012, 08:20 
Quote by OCASM:
Crytek, you need to start working on CryEngine 4 ASAP:

I concur... 8o
User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 27.02.2009, 12:51Posts: 1519 Likes: 40

PostPosted 08.06.2012, 09:02 
My pants are wet, and I'm still looking for my teeth.

My Medieval/Fantasy Houses
Want to support Hi-res, Hi-Quality tileable textures, help me by adding more space to my dropbox account: http://db.tt/icZx0EWa (create you dropbox account from this link).