General Discussion

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post a new topicPost a reply
Previous topic | Next topic 

Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 531Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

Post Topic: Programmers and Cry engine 3
PostPosted 11.06.2012, 07:55 
Hey,

I am getting ready to take the dive into game development as a full time serious career with CryEngine. Which means contacting the Crytek licensing department for information on the indie license.

Are there any programmers here on the CryDev boards?
Because I have been hunting for a good while now for a programmer for a project of mine and I cannot find one... :/
Which makes me uneasy with choosing the CE3 with this project of mine.

I can come by 3D and 2D artists just fine. . . I just cannot find any programmers . . .

Mainly because I am one (3D/2D Artist)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.12.2007, 12:44Posts: 2379 Likes: 23

Post Topic: Re: Programmers and Cry engine 3
PostPosted 11.06.2012, 08:12 
You're not going to get programmers without a clear prototype to show them. Something tangible.

Prototype gameplay using trackview if you must, or even build basic systems through flowgraph.
  Experienced Modder Experienced ModderMember since: 16.03.2011, 05:55Posts: 531Location: Utah, USA Likes: 29

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 08:47 
Quote by Ultimarage:
You're not going to get programmers without a clear prototype to show them. Something tangible.

Prototype gameplay using trackview if you must, or even build basic systems through flowgraph.

Hey, Ultimarage -

Does a game design document count? I have one written up.

If it does not I will prototype my game play with the track view editor :)
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5324Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 112

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 10:24 
Quote by Benji385:
Quote by Ultimarage:

Hey, Ultimarage -

Well, people want to see progress and media. Are you familiar with the phrase 'idea guy?'

Last edited by RayFan9876 on 15.93.2014, 05:29, edited 58 times in total.
  Trained Modder Trained ModderMember since: 19.10.2008, 11:28Posts: 388Location: India Likes: 0

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 11:01 
You can try putting up your GDD, some arts and concepts also help, and if a programmer really likes your gameplay concept, you'll know what to do ;)

RE

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 18:36 
Quote by RayFan9876:
Quote by Benji385:
Quote by Ultimarage:

Hey, Ultimarage -

Well, people want to see progress and media. Are you familiar with the phrase 'idea guy?'

Yes I am familiar with the term and we have allot of them around here *Looks at recruitment section*

I do not consider myself an Idea guy - As I know how to 3D Model and Texture plus i can pull my own weight on a project. :)

As far as I am aware Idea guys just give ideas and expect people to do it. Similar to a publisher but a publisher pays you for your work.

Anyways that is the end of my rant.
User avatar   Crytek Staff Member Crytek Staff MemberMember since: 09.01.2008, 01:11Posts: 10157Location: Crytek HQ Likes: 498

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 18:44 
Any reason why this isn't in the recruitment section?

No dev/modding PM's please, use the forums! :)

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 18:51 
Quote by Cry-Adam:
Any reason why this isn't in the recruitment section?

I thought it would be inappropriate for the recruitment section.

See the first post if you have not already. I am just talking about how uneasy I am with cryengine 3 and the lack of programmers.

BTW feel free to close this thread if needs be. :)
User avatar   Database Support Database SupportMember since: 30.09.2008, 02:17Posts: 5324Location: The Land of Sinnamon Likes: 112

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 20:57 
Quote by Benji385:
I do not consider myself an Idea guy - As I know how to 3D Model and Texture plus i can pull my own weight on a project. :)

As far as I am aware Idea guys just give ideas and expect people to do it. Similar to a publisher but a publisher pays you for your work.

Keep in mind, many of the 'idea guys' in the recruitment section do actually have skills. ;)

User avatar   Uber Modder Uber ModderMember since: 07.12.2007, 12:44Posts: 2379 Likes: 23

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 21:27 
Quote by Benji385:
Yes I am familiar with the term and we have allot of them around here *Looks at recruitment section*

You're an idea guy until you actually create something. :P

If you can model and texture, then why don't you create some stuff that you can show off for your concept? Should be easy with a design document written up. :)

If your stuff is good, you will attract programmers. However, there's nothing right now that really says 'This project is awesome, I want to work on it!'

That's how you attract people to help you. Create something awesome, spread it, and people will come naturally.

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 21:53 
Quote by Ultimarage:
Quote by Benji385:

You're an idea guy until you actually create something. :P

If you can model and texture, then why don't you create some stuff that you can show off for your concept? Should be easy with a design document written up. :)

If your stuff is good, you will attract programmers. However, there's nothing right now that really says 'This project is awesome, I want to work on it!'

That's how you attract people to help you. Create something awesome, spread it, and people will come naturally.

In all honesty I did not know that :p

PostPosted 11.06.2012, 22:38 
Quote by Benji385:
In all honesty I did not know that :p

Really? It's basic human psyche.... :P Nonetheless, I look forward to what you have to show!